Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Kaz

DIY GoPro Mask Mount

Just finished working on this. Easy to make in just one afternoon. If anyone is interested for instructions let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8607.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	218148  

- We all come from the sea.
But we are not all of the sea.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
wes1502

Re: DIY GoPro Mask Mount

Hey could you post some detailed instructions please?
wes1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Kaz

Hi, first of all I took a look at this video which was very helpful. This could work on pretty much every mask of the same type of skeleton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lVpe9Sf5Bw

I followed pretty much the same technique and I only made some minor changes due to the fact that I didn't have the exact same materials and bolt sizes available.

Basically I found a bolt that could pass through the hole of the mount and thick enough to screw well on its sides and a nut that I would screw on the bolt on the other side (inside the skeleton of the mask) so everything is held together tightly.
I took some of those circle thingies and filled the middle gap of the mount where my bolt would pass through so the two plastic pieces wouldn't crack when tightening the bolt and nut together and come appart.
Next step was to make a whole for the bolt on the mask using an electric drill and a bit to the size that would make just the perfect whole for the bolt to screw in. If you look at the picture whith the whole drilled on the skeleton of the mask you will see a bronze piece placed behind the whole. I used that to protect the silicone of the mask from the drill just in case it slips in fast out of the plastic (the guy in the video just used a screw but I found that less safer as it can easily move around when in contact with the drill).
If you notice in the pictures, I changed my bolt after putting everything together cause it was too long and it could reach my skull when I put my mask on to try it, so make sure you work in a way that allows you to change bolts just in case you don't get the size right from the first time. Also I had to include 2 extra circle thingies on the front to save some more length from the bolt. That's pretty much it! Put everything together, tighten up the bolt with the nut well enough so it doesn't get loose in the water and you're good to go!
I think the video pretty much explains everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8602.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	218159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8603.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	218160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8605.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	218161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8609.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	218162  

Old 05-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Kaz

I would recommend that you don't try it out yet however as I haven't tested it in the water yet so better be sorry once than twice. Personally I didn't really care if it didn't work since the mask is still fully functional plus I have the same model x4 so I don't have much to lose by giving it a shot.

Note that when I tried the mask on with the mount it felt perfectly comfortable just like nothing changed on it at all, but when I attatched my GoPro on it I noticed that when facing down the weight of the camera was pulling the silicone on the top of the mask off my skin. If this happens in the water as well then it would be a real problem. What's really weird is that the guy in the video followed the same method and it looks like it worked perfectly fine for him...

Old 05-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I've used the same set up for a couple of years now accept I use the tripod adapter and bolt from the rear. The tripod adaptor doesn't tend to rotate as bad and grips the surface better.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
Kaz

Doesn't the weight of the camera cause you any problems? Like pull your mask off in any way or shaking it while diving?

Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Doesn't the weight of the camera cause you any problems? Like pull your mask off in any way or shaking it while diving?
Not really and I have found its the best way to always have a camera pointed at the action. I don't really even notice it anymore.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
sharpshooter

I think those circle thingies are called flat washers. Let us know how the mask works out for you. Post some videos.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Kaz

the mount works great guys! served me for 2 weeks and never had a problem!