Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
WoodenStick

Post Fowey Rocks Mini-Season and Elliot 8-11

I'm fortunate enough to add two trip reports since a few friends visited from out of state.

Weather over the water was ideal during mini-season. Bright sun with occasional clouds obscuring the sunlight. Light westward current with seas below 2 ft. We got into the water just south of the mooring buoys for Fowey Rock and drifted towards shore. Visibility was 100% and allowed us to easily identify isolated structure as well as lobster antennae from the surface during low-tide. We were fortunate enough to limit out on good sized lobsters over the course of 6 hours in the water and left behind several undersized bugs. Not a drop of rain until we made it back to the Grove. I failed to sufficiently compress an image of our harvest for attachment, so imagine 18 happy lobster tails.

This past weekend we had another ideal departure out to Fowey Rocks. Bright sun with occasional clouds with approximate 2 ft seas. Water visibility was 100% with a light eastward current. We speared a generously sized triggerfish perhaps a mile north of Fowey Rocks. Scouring the structures south of Fowey's mooring buoys, we brought up one legal lobster and abandoned 2 others due to size. A crew member also speared an isolated lionfish. Unfortunately, our divers were buzzed by several larger fishing and pleasure boats despite a high-mounted dive flag. Not even my yelling and waving a speargun from our boat warded them off. After a particularly close call, we slipped anchor and moved south to Elliot as the local rainstorm receded southwest.

Visibility around Elliot Daybeacons 13 and 14 were relatively poor due to lots of suspended debris and overcast from the passing rainstorm. More aggressive but not quite moderate current moving northwest. I've found these conditions to be standard for the waters immediately east of Elliot. There were a few 14-15" hogfish but no specimens over the 16" legal limit. We didn't encounter any lobster and assumed the local structures had been thoroughly picked over by the recreational fleet. Fortunately, local boat traffic was respectful of our dive flag and kept a good distance from our divers.

It was a wet and bumpy but tolerable ride back to Matheson as we evaded a rainstorm that aggressed east over Elliot.

I'll be stuck on land until these boat captains visit again from out of state. In the meantime, I hope to meet up with other spearboard members!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58724cc8-91b5-40b6-b7a0-855ff4537cc9.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	243757  
WoodenStick is offline   Reply With Quote