Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Cathouse
Lowcountry Livin

Need Singer Island Area Recs...

Taking the family to Singer Island in about a week. Was hoping to get some recommendations from the board. Let me know if this thread needs to be in a different section.

I'm bringing my 21' Key West Bluewater. My 17 year old daughter is my fishing buddy. Going to try and put her on Yellowtail Snapper and hopefully some Mahi (could care less what size. Peanuts will be just fine for her).

Also bringing my dive gear in case I get to drop down and shoot something or find a bug or 2. Not trying to slay, just want to have some fun and get some groceries.

Some questions:
-Any slip recommendations for my boat? Cannon Sport was one recommendation.
-Trailer Storage?
-I've downloaded some public numbers (artificial and some live) but any assistance with general direction to look from Singer is appreciated. Should I go right off Singer? South? North?
-Figure I should find Yellowtails in 60-80' on the wrecks and live bottom?
-Any chance to find bugs in shallower waters? I'm comfortable diving up to 90' or so solo, but would like to keep it shallower. Say 40-60 if possible due to unfamiliarity of the area and currents. Again, not trying to limit out. Just trying to catch a few for dinner.

Your recommendations are appreciated. Looking forward to coming to the area for the first time.

Cathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Marco

Re: Need Singer Island Area Recs...

I don't think lobsters will be open in one week in Florida. Check local regulations.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Cathouse
Lowcountry Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I don't think lobsters will be open in one week in Florida. Check local regulations.
I believe it opens on Aug 6. We will get there on the 9th. Gonna be entertaining the kids so I still may not get a chance to dive. Gonna try though.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
Alec

The currents are very strong out there so anchoring is usually not an option and diving is done with a reel/buoy setup with ideally an anchor attached so you can clip it to a ledge while grabbing bugs. Slips are EXPENSIVE in that area and a storage facility is probably your best bet, will still be expensive. If you don’t mind keeping it 30-45min away north that would save you some money. Good lobster grounds are usually 85-120ft out of Lake Worth inlet but you can find bugs shallower. There are some rock piles just south in 55-65ft, and a few ledges in 70-90ft. I’d do your research and prepare for 2-4K of current just incase. If you drift by enough wrecks or artificials you should be able to find some snapper or maybe a kingfish. Good luck and have fun, make sure your dive flag is very visible
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Cathouse
Lowcountry Livin

Thanks for the good info Alec.

This may be a dumb question, but are the no anchoring recommendations about diving only? Is it OK to anchor up while fishing for yellowtails or is that taboo in that area?

Sorry for the basic questions, but we get a lot of weekend warrior googans in our area who don't do the research. I don't want to be the googan in Palm Beaches area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
The currents are very strong out there so anchoring is usually not an option and diving is done with a reel/buoy setup with ideally an anchor attached so you can clip it to a ledge while grabbing bugs. Slips are EXPENSIVE in that area and a storage facility is probably your best bet, will still be expensive. If you don’t mind keeping it 30-45min away north that would save you some money. Good lobster grounds are usually 85-120ft out of Lake Worth inlet but you can find bugs shallower. There are some rock piles just south in 55-65ft, and a few ledges in 70-90ft. I’d do your research and prepare for 2-4K of current just incase. If you drift by enough wrecks or artificials you should be able to find some snapper or maybe a kingfish. Good luck and have fun, make sure your dive flag is very visible

Old 08-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Marco

I've dived in that area. Current is usually strong.

You can anchor for yellowtails fishing. Make sure to bring chum.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
Cathouse
Lowcountry Livin

Thanks Marco.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
S8ang

Went out of that inlet for mini-season last week, the current was pretty strong. Definitely won't anchor up for diving, and you'll want a good float and safety sausage. When you anchor your dive bouy, it will sink below the surface from the current. And then when you release it, it will lift you up off the bottom, so be prepared for that.

You can get plenty of lobsters in 70-90 on the south side of the inlet within a mile or so. You will see all the dive boats out there.

If you youtube, there is a guy (pretty sure he's on this forum) "whatandwhen2" has lots of really good videos of what it is like.

I have no fishing info on the area, sorry....
Good luck
Old 08-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
Cathouse
Lowcountry Livin

Appreciate the information S8ang.