Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
NiceCatchAustin

Gulf Tuna Spearfishing Questions

Hey guys! I'm gearing up for a yellowfin tuna spearfishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico and have a few questions regarding gear. There's a lot of posts regarding YFT gear on here, but none of them fully answered my questions specifically for this location (Gulf YFT typically run smaller than, say, Panama YFT right?), so I figured I'd just ask them in a new post.

I've currently got a 75' bungee and a Riffe 3 ATM float system I use, however I know I need more for YFT. From what I've heard, one or two additional 12L hard floats are the preferred setup, but since I am flying in from Ohio, I'm concerned about flying with hard floats. Would I have enough room in a Sportube Series 2 for one hard float alongside a 65" gun, Riffe float, 75' bungee, fins, wetsuit, and miscellaneous gear? And would I need more flotation than a single 12L hard float and Riffe 3 ATM for Gulf YFT? Or would I be better off investing in something like an additional 30L high pressure float or 2 15L high pressure floats?

On a related note, I have heard of people using a clipping system for fighting tuna instead of using a floatline clutch. From what it sounds like, people just have a second tuna clip on their floats and then directly clip it to the line (how does that even hold)? Or am I completely misinterpreting what I have read here? I'm nervous about a clutch shredding my oh-so-expensive bungee, so I'm interested in how this clipping system works.
NiceCatchAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
dctrjayyy

Re: Gulf Tuna Spearfishing Questions

some people use multiple hard or multi 3atm inflatables. imo you are pretty well set with a 12L hard foam filled and Riffe 3 atm. the hard float is tough in a sporttube 2 but i put mine in a duffel and fill the sporttube with other crap.

a standard clutch can slip a ton so it is good to back it up with the regular tuna clip
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
YoungMarine

Re: Gulf Tuna Spearfishing Questions

Who are you going out in the gulf with? If you're flying in from Ohio and going with a charter, they would be the most knowledgable about the tackle/rigging needed to land the YFT they frequently encounter (prob 50-150lbs). You may also want to post this in the upper gulf coast section as some guys that bluewater hunt off LA and TX may be able to chime in. I have never been bluewater hunting, but recently got a deal on a Tommy Botha tuna board with bungee and hope to get out in the bluewater in the next few months so let me know how your trip goes. Good luck!
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote