Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
EL NINO

2 divers cardiac arrest in Clearwater

Anybody have any information on the two divers brought to Seminole boat docks yesterday in Cardiac arrest? Bad gas or decompression issues?
EL NINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
grey2112

Re: 2 divers cardiac arrest in Clearwater

Saw nothing on the news about this.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
steelcity
Big Brian

The one was a straight heart attack.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
23dorado

I wonder if one of these was Ben Harris who owned Adventures Under the Sea dive shop on Henderson in Tampa. Ben was a hell of a nice guy and a great instructor. He certified my wife and was our go to dive shop.

I just got this email:

This is Tina Harris, Ben's wife. It is with great sorrow that I inform you of Ben's passing on March 16. He died doing what he loved to do. There are not enough words, nor is there enough space here, to describe the depth of his loss on his family and the diving community. Memorial services will be held on April 6, 2019 at 2:00 pm at Southern Funeral Care in Riverview, Florida. We are not able to resume regular business hours, but if you have gear that needs to be returned or are in need of any additional information or assistance, please contact Tina Harris.. Information about the store closing sale will be posted at a later date.
23dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
Russell stalk

Hey guys, I don’t know too much, but here is what a well respected local Spearo had to say...

There’s been lots of questions, comments, rumors, and concerns, regarding the passing of our friend Kim. A tragic and still unbelievable accident occurred on a fun recreational Spearfishing trip with some of my most closest friends, and trusted divers.
She had made an emergency ascent from 25’ down.
We did everything we could possibly do to save her life. We were told by the Dr.’s that air bubbles had entered and blocked the bloodstream. We do not know if it was a medical condition or self inflicted injury.
This wonderful person is not here with us any longer. I can not describe the feelings that came about on the boat that day. Every one of us will never forget this tragedy. Each of us will all have thoughts and nightmares of what took place that day, for a long time. It has been the worst day at sea I’ve ever had.

I write this to tell others about Safety, maintaining, checking your equipment, dive gear, etc. If you have a problem with a piece of equipment, GET IT FIXED. If you don’t want to spend the money on something to fix it right, DON’T USE IT. If it’s torn, cracked, leaking, rotted, FIX IT. When it’s time to service your gear, or replace it, DO IT! If your regulators are worn out and leaking, GET IT SERVICED! If you don’t know how to work something, LEARN HOW TO USE IT. Get as much training as you can for the diving you are doing. Practice from time to time doing some emergency skills, it is never taught beyond Open water SCUBA Class. Practice buddy breathing a few times in your life, it’s actually more difficult than you think. Buy the best dive gear you can possibly afford. Remember what you were taught in Open Water classes, and how to deal with emergency situations, and how to stay in control and keep calm. Yes this can happen in very shallow water. 35’ of water is not very deep at all.
Don’t be a cheap ass, or lazy, it’s your life, it’s also not just your life, but everyone else that is affected by the losses.

This experience has changed my outlook on who we all choose to dive with. If you don’t know someone, get to know them and their knowledge level, don’t assume. I will go to sea any day with my brothers, we always work as a team, it’s good to know you have partners that will not give up on you in the worst possible scenario. A true friend can’t be bought, one that will fight for you is priceless.

I know that Kim is in heaven and is shining on us here. I know just by knowing Kim for a short time that it is a better place already up there. An angel is with more angels. Please say a prayer for her family, and friends, and Timmy. They need it the most.
Russell stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
jfjf

Thanks for sharing that information. It sounds like you are implying that she had an equipment issue causing the emergency event.

A terrible day on the water - I know seeing diving accidents has also forever changed my outlook on diving. It is dangerous, even in 35 ft of water.

My condolences to the family and friends.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote