Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:26 AM   #1
CatDiver

Middle Grounds 6/20

Video of trip to the Middle Grounds last weekend. Unbelievable weather day with a few nice drops.

https://youtu.be/gEWOciiOxGQ
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #2
dkay

Re: Middle Grounds 6/20

Great video! The hog shot from multiple cameras was awesome! You couldn’t have asked for a better day to make a MG run.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
sharpshooter

Nice video. Great sea conditions. Looks like the tail end of the shaft broke off in the big hogfish and then it was shot again by another diver. Perfect backup shot. That's unusual for a shaft to break off like that not being heavily torqued. Must of had a fracture in it. Main thing is the hog didn't get away. I shot a big AJ and it went between 2 large pieces of coral. It kept swimming hard bowing my shaft till the shaft snapped in two. I brought up the 2 pieces as proof to my story.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 06-29-2020 at 07:07 AM.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
CatDiver

Thanks guys. That's exactly what happened with the shaft. It stuck in the rock through the fish and he snapped it. You can see the hog make a strange move as he snaps the shaft. And then my buddy was in the right spot on the backup. I had no idea until I tried to reload the broken shaft what had happened.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
Dbrown

Nice video and fishes!
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
jfjf

Very cool video, your best one..

That is one of the big issues with notched shafts... they are a lot weaker than a shaft with fins. I don't think I have ever broken a shaft off, except at a notch.

You guys will be surprised how much quicker and easier stringing fish will be if you buy a different type of stringer.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #7
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post

You guys will be surprised how much quicker and easier stringing fish will be if you buy a different type of stringer.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
jfjf

https://www.divers-supply.com/ocean-...ABEgLfAvD_BwE&
Old 06-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Hmmm...that's what I seen them using, albeit not as long 'tag end' on that one.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #10
CatDiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Very cool video, your best one..

That is one of the big issues with notched shafts... they are a lot weaker than a shaft with fins. I don't think I have ever broken a shaft off, except at a notch.

Thanks I like how this one came out too. As you know, having good footage helps and we got some good footage on this one. Also, I did a better job of cutting out footage that was just ok.

On the stringer, I like clipping it to my gun and the stringer I use has a little welded notch in a corner of the stringer so that it can stay clipped to gun while opening it. Using that one hand one could be a little easier, but when I have an issue with the stringer, it's usually because I'm trying to pull it towards me and it or the gun are hung up on something. As an alternative, I've tried just carrying the stringer in one hand but I like that less.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #11
jfjf

Where there is an assumption that you may see sharks, I either put the fish in a bag or float them, both of which is time consuming and a pain in the ass.

In places where I use a stringer, I keep it clipped off of my BC on my left side. If shark(s) come in, then I will unclip it and hold it in front of me.

I know there are more experienced and better hunters who hand carry the stringer and drop it when their hands are full. I guess I have never had an event (yet) that will motivate me to always hand carry the stringer. Having a big fish clipped to the butt of
the gun would probably bother me.

I much prefer the one-handed stringers for normal scuba hunting.

Everyone has their own techniques for scuba hunting, I guess.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #12
CuzzA

I just hand carry my stringer these days. Though I have a clip for the beginning of a dive. If you're going to clip it off I think it's imperative to use a quick connect clip or rubber o ring in case a jewfish snatches your fish.

Totally agree on the one handed stringer though.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #13
CatDiver

Yeah my brother just carries his stringer and touts that method. I've tried it and just always feel like I need a third hand. One thing I've figured out is that when I try to do something outside of my typical routine, that's when I miss or lose a good fish.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #14
jfjf

Yes the more set you are in your ways, the harder it is to change. You can change one seemingly small thing and then when you get underwater and things happen, you realize 2-3 consequences of your modified set up. I remember trying to use one of those "Safe" hoop stringers from the video and quickly realized how disadvantageous that configuration is. A one hand stringer is just superior, regardless of whether you hand carry it or clip it off to the diver. I have a couple of those safe stringers and hang them off the kayak for freediving and they are handy for that application

It is hard to change, I am generally fully occupied with a scooter, floatline reel, pole spear, lobster net, lionfish hotel and lobster catch bag and when I add a speargun into the mix, it becomes much harder.

I really dislike having a dive light on a lanyard, but I have left so damn many of them under a ledge, that I am trying to get used to one of those goofy line retractor things - but sometimes the light hangs too low and gets caught in a speargun band when loading.. (as an example).
Old 07-19-2020, 11:04 PM   #15
Mobile Diver

Nice hogs!!
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote