Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
trapper_travis

Re: Mako Wetsuit Sizings?

Okay thanks,
Mako gave me a proper sizing and everything so its all set now
trapper_travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
trapper_travis

bump

okay so things have been put to the side for a bit ive had other things to worry about but would 1.5mm be thick enough for winter water where the tempereature reaches a minimum of say 10-15 celcius? summer is normally a minimum of around 25
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #18
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper_travis View Post
bump

okay so things have been put to the side for a bit ive had other things to worry about but would 1.5mm be thick enough for winter water where the tempereature reaches a minimum of say 10-15 celcius? summer is normally a minimum of around 25
no
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
no
no

I wear a 5mm top 3 mm bottoms in 21-23C water here. 10-12c man thats 7mm cold. if you are diving in water that cold you need to find the best suit available and no that doesnt mean Im saying no to Mako.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
trapper_travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
no

I wear a 5mm top 3 mm bottoms in 21-23C water here. 10-12c man thats 7mm cold. if you are diving in water that cold you need to find the best suit available and no that doesnt mean Im saying no to Mako.
the 10-15 is land temp and it rarely gets tha low, mostly around the 18-20 range land temp (not sure how this affects water temperature) would a 5mm suit do or possibly evenly slightly a chance of a 3mm being enough if i only dive when the water is in the 20+ range
Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
jfjf

You need to figure out what the water temperature is. A few degree difference in celcius for water temperature has a huge effect. A 3 mm one-piece with a hood should work in 20 C water, but I would want a 2-piece freedive suit... much warmer than a one-piece back zip suit
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #22
Freshy

I've never had to use anything thicker than a 3mm open cell wetsuit in Australia, even during the colder winter months. There were a few mornings I wish I was a little warmer but if I were to buy one wetsuit for Australian conditions, it would be a 3mm. In summer, wear just the top with boardies. Don't worry about cool camo etc... just buy the one that fits you the best.
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
naich
jetty jumper

i can't give an opinion on just the tops, but i recently bought a 5mm open cells full body suit.

i stand 6'0 barefoot at 182 pounds. i am 12-13% bodyfat. have 15 inch arms, a 42 inch chest, 27 inch legs and normal shoulder width. The large size suit is just a tiny bit loose on me, but still kept me plenty warm in 51 degree water. it would fit me perfect if i gained a few pounds in the upper body, may be too specific, but i hope this helps someone.
naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #24
trapper_travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z View Post
I've never had to use anything thicker than a 3mm open cell wetsuit in Australia, even during the colder winter months. There were a few mornings I wish I was a little warmer but if I were to buy one wetsuit for Australian conditions, it would be a 3mm. In summer, wear just the top with boardies. Don't worry about cool camo etc... just buy the one that fits you the best.
thanks david thats exactly what i was after should be looking at some on friday for sizing and all, will now know what thickness to look at