Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-17-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

2016 PCC Results are in!

We would like to thank all the competitors for making the 2016 meet one to remember. Cold water (54/55 degrees), and lots and lots of great fish, along with excellent diving conditions.

Some highlights from the meet:40 reds taken, 38 lingcod, and 37 sheephead! A total of 297 fish, of which only 45 were the various perch species.

Notable catches: Cathy Cosby, 18.2lb Lingcod! Kapono Nihipali, 7.29lb Vermillion. Deke Jacobsen, 23.75lb sheephead.

We are sorry it took a while to get the results finalized, and thank the competitors for their understanding, given the situation on the ground.

First place individual goes to Deke Jacobsen, 116.34 points, and his team, Cold Water Killers with 264.38 points.

Attached is the PDF with full results. Some amazing catches, and some heroic efforts which did not pay off........Growing up Ninja (Lance Davis) 92lb catch, swam it in upside down under his flipped over SUP. (Submerged Upright Paddleboard!!! ) Unfortunately, it cost him time, and he wound up a few minutes late. Spectacular first ever dive at th PCC's, regardless.

2016 PCC Pacific Coast Championship Results - Moonstone Beach 161016 update.pdf
Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
growingupninja
Lance

Re: 2016 PCC Results are in!

Thanks for the mention, Paul... and since all I got out of this is bragging rights, I just gotta put up this photo that Michael Job took of me at about noon when he paddled up and asked "how's it going?" while I had stopped to suck down some hot stew out of my thermos. The stringer was probably about 65 pounds at that point and perhaps if I hadn't stopped for a photo I wouldn't have been late! But I was super stoked to bring home all that delicious cold water fish and get this awesome shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05697_EDITED_LLD.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	229468

And thanks to Benny and Ryan for--after having already landed their catches--spotting me out there trying to swim the loaded paddle board back in and jumping in their yaks to render aid! And for the record, the northern vermilion DO taste better than the local ones.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
bigjim
No White Flags

What a cool picture Lance!!

Congrats to all who competed, and especially to my NorCal buddies!!

You guys are studs!

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 10-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Thanks for the mention, Paul... and since all I got out of this is bragging rights, I just gotta put up this photo that Michael Job took of me at about noon when he paddled up and asked "how's it going?" while I had stopped to suck down some hot stew out of my thermos. The stringer was probably about 65 pounds at that point and perhaps if I hadn't stopped for a photo I wouldn't have been late! But I was super stoked to bring home all that delicious cold water fish and get this awesome shot:

Attachment 229468

And thanks to Benny and Ryan for--after having already landed their catches--spotting me out there trying to swim the loaded paddle board back in and jumping in their yaks to render aid! And for the record, the northern vermilion DO taste better than the local ones.
That is a great shot with the muzzle lit up. Top level effort and catch, but off a semi-submersible, wow!
knower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post

Attachment 229468

What a stack of fish!!!!!

And yes, all the fish have a better flavor to them; the perch up there are great, the sheephead have a slightly different texture. Living in the cold, very clean waters up north is akin to the flavor difference between a Catalina lobster and an LA breakwall bug.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:58 AM   #6
Fishy_Killa
#breakwallmob

Stoked for you guys, sad i didnt get to make it this year!

SpearAmerica.com
Fishy_Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy_Killa View Post
Stoked for you guys, sad i didnt get to make it this year!
We were talking about how hard Kyle and I pushed you on the paddle back!!

You did a really good job considering you weren't a regular kayak diver.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
Benny

Such a great day with perfect conditions.

That ling Kathy shot was a beast. She shot it and yelled over to me "uhhh Benny I might need you to spot me. I just shot a huge ling and it might be a hassle to get out of this hole. "

I'm thinking riiiiight (not doubting her abilities, she's a legit diver but we have all heard the I just shot a monster and when is actually a huge fish?) I'll be over in a second.

Before I can get over to her she is calling me off because it swam out on its own. I Immediately say "let's see this warlock..." And when she lifted it out of the water my eyes about bugged out my head. It was awesome, super stoked for her!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	229492
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #9
bigjim
No White Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Such a great day with perfect conditions.

That ling Kathy shot was a beast. She shot it and yelled over to me "uhhh Benny I might need you to spot me. I just shot a huge ling and it might be a hassle to get out of this hole. "

I'm thinking riiiiight (not doubting her abilities, she's a legit diver but we have all heard the I just shot a monster and when is actually a huge fish?) I'll be over in a second.

Before I can get over to her she is calling me off because it swam out on its own. I Immediately say "let's see this warlock..." And when she lifted it out of the water my eyes about bugged out my head. It was awesome, super stoked for her!

Attachment 229492

Kathy is awesome!!

Here's some random pics of some of my NorCal buddies....I wasn't there so no clue who took them...just stole them off FB/IG etc.

Congrats again to all!

Sincerely,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DekeBigSheep.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	229495   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThomasParvisDeke.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	141.5 KB