Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

View Poll Results: How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?
Always 331 85.97%
Most of the time 31 8.05%
Sometimes 8 2.08%
Practically never 11 2.86%
Never 4 1.04%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #136
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
Wouldn't that make it safer and better to attach the stringer to your weight belt? Weight belts are designed to be quickly detached in case of a emergency and many come with the plastic clips you mentioned. So if a hungry shark/grouper decides to take your stringer I would be glad to take it off as quickly ass possible and deal with the asshole later when I get some distance and time to realize what the hell just happened, or the plastic clip will simply break off. Better then having me dragged through the water.
OH, no. I praise the plastic clip. It's what the first 8' plus nurse shark broke off of me. I couldn't imagine what would've happened otherwise. The thing that really freaked me out is snuggling myself up into that deep undercut(light on) searching for those groups/snaps up there, w/ my fish barely hanging out the opening, then started freakin' the F out on my waist on the outside. It gave me flashbacks. ...If the imagined shark doesn't hurt you, you'll end up hurting yourself...and trust me, I'm not easily spooked. I cut my teeth freediving in < 2 foot vis in around Tampa Bay shipping channels known for a shark nursery. I'm in no way beating my chest as I'm quite aware of those reading that could/would scoff at my accomplishments..I've met many at spearfishing tournament. I am humble.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #137
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
Wouldn't that make it safer and better to attach the stringer to your weight belt? Weight belts are designed to be quickly detached in case of a emergency and many come with the plastic clips you mentioned. So if a hungry shark/grouper decides to take your stringer I would be glad to take it off as quickly ass possible and deal with the asshole later when I get some distance and time to realize what the hell just happened, or the plastic clip will simply break off. Better then having me dragged through the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
To each there own , but my stringer is on my weight belt, I can, and do, un-clip it with ease to string new fish, and in the rare case where needed to free myself I just pull the weight belt buckle. How easy it that?!
Yup..I agree with you, that's how I do it, (and I have tried other ways). I cover allot of ground when shooting and don't want to leave the fish behind for the Jew fish to eat… and then there are the times I'm hanging mid column of water…. I want both hands free.
It is SO easy to just pull the weight belt buckle and be free of the belt and stringer!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #138
davej

I carry two. One on my arm and on on my leg. Have dropped a knife and broke on too. Always have a back up
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #139
cmburch
Blue Crab

Knife inner left forearm. My new suit has a pocket so may switch. Used for cleaning fish in water mainly. How many times has blood attracted a Lingcod, crabs, etc... Once a Cabezon swam into the rocks and jammed my spear. Unable to get out. Had to cut line. I have a small piece of line on knife handle for lanyard just big enough to stick my four fingers (Not over entire hand to hang on wrist) as something extra to lesson the chance of dropping. I also carry a fish scaler.
cmburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #140
mikelb

Always. Custom pockets from Don at M&B Wetsuits. Knife pocket and float/gps/radio/whatever pocket accessible with either hand/arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	901.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	243191   Click image for larger version

Name:	902.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	243192  
Old 06-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #141
Snowking65

I gave my buddy a $10 Knife back up knife, 440A stainless steel knife Tanto with serrated edge. That same day , his left leg got caught in braided fishing line and his main knife a 420Js stainless steel knife was to dull to cut. It was a Straight edge blade, no line cutter pocket or serrations.

I would try to stay away from 420Js dive knife's. A lot of knifes you find use 420Js metal for it is very good stainless. There is barely any carbon added to knife . So edge retention is crap.

http://rukoproducts.com/tactical-sur...-boot-serrated This has 440A stainless steel and is coated.

These are great back up knifes. Check out Ruko's knife make sure to check the steel.
Snowking65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #142
Xylophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking65 View Post
I gave my buddy a $10 Knife back up knife, 440A stainless steel knife Tanto with serrated edge. That same day , his left leg got caught in braided fishing line and his main knife a 420Js stainless steel knife was to dull to cut. It was a Straight edge blade, no line cutter pocket or serrations.

I would try to stay away from 420Js dive knife's. A lot of knifes you find use 420Js metal for it is very good stainless. There is barely any carbon added to knife . So edge retention is crap.

http://rukoproducts.com/tactical-sur...-boot-serrated This has 440A stainless steel and is coated.

These are great back up knifes. Check out Ruko's knife make sure to check the steel.
I just roll with one of GR's knives that are serrated on both sides. When do you ever need a non serrated edge when diving anyway?
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #143
JetBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaslayer View Post
Finally someone else who knows about this knife! These knives cut through fish skull like butter, and just about anything else that's needed. Love my fury dive knife, hell I'm going order a couple more right now just as backup!
It’s still on Amazon. Just ordered a used (blemished) one for 11 bucks. If it suits, I’ll buy 3 new ones to have on hand (and arm, and leg).
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #144
sealark

Check out the spideco knives made from H1material. They never Rust and stay sharper much longer. They are smaller knives. I have had one hanging on my BC in and out of salt water for 5 years now. Not a spect of rust and nearly razor sharp. When opened they auto lock. They are expensive but well worth there lifespan, pictured is one I have on my keychanin. The one on BC is twice this size.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote