Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
popgun pete

Re: A new hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I like the idea of separate holes but the hinge part seems to over complicate things. I know a lot of guys don't take the time to learn how to tie in a band but they should!
Here are the diagrams for the muzzle. And where the name comes from!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nutcracker hinged muzzle hinge detail.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	242769   Click image for larger version

Name:	manual-nutcracker-chrome-steel.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	242792  

Last edited by popgun pete; 06-03-2019 at 07:55 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #17
Hpwatson

Officially the first hybrid gun I've ever loved. That thing is awesome.
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #18
kodama

That is a very fine looking gun I can imagine it performs at least as good as it looks.

I wonder how you shaped the wood to fit so precisely around the barrel?
Did you use a ball router bit the size of the cf barrel? If that is the case I imagine you had it custom made?
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #19
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Here are the diagrams for the muzzle.
Thanks for the drawing Pete. It actually doesn't look too complicated to build. The only thing now is it seems to defeat the purpose of quick band changes. From what I see the whole muzzle would need to be removed from the end of the gun to open it up. I just think that might not be the easiest thing to do out in the "field" on a rocking boat or whatever. I use a pin to hold mine in, which would require hammering with a punch for removal. I guess of you just had a screw securing it in place it wouldn't be so bad but then again, how much time is this saving you?
deanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
pic of rear flopper line wrap.
currently running a couple of 15mm small ID bands with a 16 on this gun cos the bands got chewed fending off the bloody silvertips. new batch of 16mm on its way tho, so be back to full power soon
Apols for hijacking yr thread Dean!!
Thanks for the photo and insights about your setup Kavachi. You've really got that rear flopper tucked in. It's good to hear that you actually prefer the shooting line over the flopper. I wasn't sure which would work better, over or under. Maybe I had a happy accident by shortening my shafts an inch! I made this gun for a friend who recently relocated from Long Island (NY) out to San Diego. I'm going to test it out in the pool this week which will give a chance to tweak the setup if need be. I'll try and shoot some video of the pool testing and post it back here.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #21
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
That is a very fine looking gun I can imagine it performs at least as good as it looks.

I wonder how you shaped the wood to fit so precisely around the barrel?
Did you use a ball router bit the size of the cf barrel? If that is the case I imagine you had it custom made?
Yep I used a big ole ball end bit. The bit I had was exactly the same exact size as the outside diameter of the tube. After I had my initial cavity routed out I had to make extra passes moving the table on the mill very slightly (up, down, left and right) to get the hole big enough to accept the tube. From there I used a bandsaw to cut the angle along the top of the gun which gave it that nice sleek profile.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #22
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Thanks for the drawing Pete. It actually doesn't look too complicated to build. The only thing now is it seems to defeat the purpose of quick band changes. From what I see the whole muzzle would need to be removed from the end of the gun to open it up. I just think that might not be the easiest thing to do out in the "field" on a rocking boat or whatever. I use a pin to hold mine in, which would require hammering with a punch for removal. I guess of you just had a screw securing it in place it wouldn't be so bad but then again, how much time is this saving you?
The "nutcracker" muzzle was designed to put 4 bands on the Riffe Metaltech as the then plastic muzzle was not up to it. I sent the design to Jay, but he had opted to go for an alloy version of the plastic "Metaltech" muzzle. The "Metaltech" muzzle is secured by two self-tapping screws and once out the muzzle pulls free easily. My idea was to use one bolt and also use it as the front line hook, a sort of one wing wingnut. This enabled the muzzle to be quickly removed, bands installed and the muzzle then placing back in the gun. The shooting line groove would be added as for the Riffe muzzle and line wrap plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Riffe plastic muzzle.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	242788  
Old 06-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #23
popgun pete

Searching back through my records I had another version to get rid of the front slot that was sprung with too many bands stuffed into it. AyaDiver used to squeeze five bands on his small "Metaltech" which he used with his underwater parachute to bump off big Tuna in the depths, but on firing the front band got spat out of the muzzle on occasion as he was using the plastic muzzle. Kurt of Kurt's World fame had his separate band hole muzzle on his "Cannon of Death II", so I used that layout for the "nutcracker". (name was actually "Cañón de la Muerte").
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Metaltech rear opening muzzle.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	242789  

Last edited by popgun pete; 06-03-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #24
Marco

Beautiful speargun! What's the advantage of the double flopper? To my understandin only one of them will be in contact with the fish, right? Won't a properly tuned single flopper do the job?

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #25
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Beautiful speargun! What's the advantage of the double flopper? To my understandin only one of them will be in contact with the fish, right? Won't a properly tuned single flopper do the job?
What you're saying makes sense. I'm not sure why two would be better than one properly tuned flopper? Backup in case of a failure is what I'm thinking maybe someone else can chime in. My customer requested that type of setup so that's what I got for him.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #26
deanmc
FII Professional

I had a chance to take this gun in the pool this morning. Super happy with how it shot with both the 7.5 and 8mm shafts. I started out shooting at about 15 feet (muzzle to target) which was single wrap range. My first shot was a bullseye. I then added another wrap of line form the reel and moved another 5 feet back. My shots continued to his my target within a couple inches of the bullseye. I shoot a lot of roller guns so usually when I go to a gun with a traditional band setup the recoil seems very noticeable. For whatever reason it wasn't so noticeable on this hybrid. I did add a few ounces of lead to the barrel at the muzzle end, I'm guessing that helped keep it to a minimum.

Video here https://vimeo.com/340249180
Old 06-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #27
popgun pete

Recoil is the sensation of the gun moving with the shot and it has vertical and horizontal components. The gun also moves upward at the muzzle as the weight of the shaft is removed from the gun. I have observed on long pneumatic guns, which float like corks after the shot due to their long concentric tanks surrounding the inner barrels, that the guns noticeably lift after the shot. This might be confused with recoil, but is just the gun's high buoyancy, and buoyant nosed timber guns will perform similarly. A weighted nose keeps the muzzle down and my powerhead nosed gun is a stable shooter due to the mass in the nose which is countervailed by its timber chin mount. The mass concentration keeps the acceleration low at the muzzle, yet when discharged the gun floats horizontal in the water. It shoots a 3/8" shaft and has two grips to swing it around as the big muzzle makes it a bit of a paddle, but I mention it as an example of nose mass as distinct from it being nose heavy in the water when discharged.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:31 AM   #28
spearq8

Well done! Very nice job as getting a hybrid to shoot well is certainly not an easy task! I always had problems with hybrids once powering up the band load as shots would start diving as you increase power. They are extremely sensitive and need a correct setup! That is great customer service to test the gun design out and optimizing performance before shipping it to the client!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #29
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Well done! Very nice job as getting a hybrid to shoot well is certainly not an easy task! I always had problems with hybrids once powering up the band load as shots would start diving as you increase power. They are extremely sensitive and need a correct setup! That is great customer service to test the gun design out and optimizing performance before shipping it to the client!
Thanks! I'm lucky to have an indoor pool at my disposal. It would be really difficult for me to sell a speargun that I built without first firing it to see how it behaves, especially on these larger ones that guys will be taking long shots with.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #30
Marco

Doesn't it floats without the shaft?

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote