Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Angry spear line: mono vs stainless core vs spectra? -- loosing shafts to other predators..

Hello all,

After loosing 3 shafts within the span of 1 week due to sharks and greater barracudas ( including a mori slip-tip (on a long 8mm shaft), >$200 value ,

what do folks use in these situation? I am talking on heavier shafts and guns (eg: 170-190cm shafts, 8mm) with 3-4 bands 16mm.

I have 400lbs rated mono but our water get pretty sharky this time of the year especially when hunting big games that will dart straight into the blue and will inevitably attract big predators. Greater Barracudas tend to also become problematic at this time as well.

do you go stainless steel core mono (http://www.makospearguns.com/Stainle...ne-p/msssl.htm) or spectra or anything else stronger than than mono, as although with strong tensile strength, seems that mono will just get sliced like butter with the razor sharp teeth of sharks here?

thanks all
Old 09-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
spearq8

Re: spear line: mono vs stainless core vs spectra? -- loosing shafts to other predato

SS cable can handle sharp teeth extremely well, but as shooting line it has many drawbacks. It has a lot of drag and drops performance and accuracy by quite a bit. Also the same positive aspects that prevent a shark from cutting the line can work against you if you are accidentally get tangled in it and have to cut it. A lot of guys that use cable exclusively pack wire cutters for that reason. A good compromise is spectra or kevlar for shooting line. Problem with those lines is that they can tangle very easily on rocks and reefs as they tend to sink ... and also your band tangles increase by quite a bit. You can of course use an ET to reduce band tangles by having the line not rigged over the shaft ... or you can use a slide ring on the shaft in front of the muzzle (also eliminates band tangles) ... but again that has draw backs.

There are some new super stiff Spectra lines that might work well as good shooting line, but I hate the knot they make. I personally use a 380lb kevlar line which has been dipped in PVC ... it is not perfect, but it acts just like mono and can be crimped. The PVC coating shreds quite easily but the kevlar inside is extremely resistant to cutting from teeth or sharp barnacles or coral. You need to replace it often but so far it has handled some very tough situations really well. I do wish it would come in at 600lb as it would only be about 1.8mm ... but nobody is interested in making it.

I am working with a racket string company to see if it is possible to make a special spearfishing line that acts and feels like mono ... yet is as strong and abrasion resistant as kevlar or spectra. My guess is that it would be around 500lb or 600lb strength and would be less than 1.6mm thick (around thickness of 250lb mono). I already use Head Fiber Gel as shooting line, but I don't use it for very large fish.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Mighty KC

Re: spear line: mono vs stainless core vs spectra? -- loosing shafts to other predato

I have encountered the same issues with loosing shafts over the years. I dive the Northern Gulf of Mexico around the gas platforms, and some pretty shark infested areas well offshore. Mono just does not work here. I use Spectra or Kevlar when shooting Snapper, smaller Cobia, Sheephead, Grouper and other smaller stuff around the rigs. But, if im offshore, or shooting the larger fish around rigs (Amberjack, Cuda, Large cobia) I am using cable. The rig legs will cut anything but cable with larger fish, and offshore the sharks will cut your shooting line for sure. I have to use cable on sliptips also.

I do not use coated. it tends to rust under the coating, and the sharks will peel it off first time they hit it. I use 1/16 uncoated, and buy it at the local ships chandlery store. Been shooting that for years, and never had a problem with it changing accuracy on my guns. It does kink, and you will be changing it after a few big fish. Much better than loosing shafts though. You would have a difficult time cutting it in an emergency. I have always stayed away from my shooting line till the boat gets to me.

Last edited by Mighty KC; 09-05-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame

I've switched from mono to dyneema and haven't looked back. From shooting 8-10lb mangroves to 90-100lb amberjack on the rigs it hasn't let me down. I've seen 100+lb yellowfin landed on it as well. 1.9mm is a good thickness, I'll probably use 2.2mm for blue water.
Alec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
I've switched from mono to dyneema and haven't looked back. From shooting 8-10lb mangroves to 90-100lb amberjack on the rigs it hasn't let me down. I've seen 100+lb yellowfin landed on it as well. 1.9mm is a good thickness, I'll probably use 2.2mm for blue water.

Alec, how are you attaching your line to spear...knot or splice? Any issues with band tangles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Quote:

Had that exact same questions. Care to share some pix of your setup?

Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 AM   #7
spearq8

You can't splice the stiff spectra from Benthic as it is not hollow (at least I haven't been able to), so you need to use a knot. Stuff is easily the best spectra line if you want to use it as shooting line as it is extremely stiff and won't tangle on reefs and structures. It is also great for reels and also for rigging invert rollers. But the knot is quite big and if you rig it like classic mono you might get more chance of a band tangle, especially with 2 wraps.

As for kevlar not being strong enough for rigs ... it is plenty strong. I used 600lb and 800lb kevlar line from Abbiller a very long time ago when I used to hunt rigs all the time. Even a 10 lb fish that wraps around a barnacled rig will cut 400lb mono like it wasn't even there. But I remember one time where I shot a giant Amberjack and it wrapped around a barnacled rig and the fish pulled the wrapped line about 10 or 20 feet down the rig ... as it did that there was a waterfall of barnacles and debris that came off the pipe, but the line held firm. If there was any confirmation that kevlar is the correct line for rigs, this was it! Both kevlar and spectra line are used to cut through broken windshield glass ... so they are really good when it comes to abrasion resistance.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
FreediveCA

Quote:
After giving this a shot a year ago or so I haven't considered mono or any other shooting line. Easy to work with, good price, and does not knot up too often (less than mono). I have used it for shooting line, wishbones, and even switched out the mono on my stringer for this stuff (only thing I haven't used it for is a reel). Can't say enough good things about this line. Trying to convert all my buddies.

Regarding the slice or knot question, definitely knot. Regarding band tangles, haven't had an issue yet. I have taken many many many shots with this line and haven't had it tangle with my bands yet.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
Alec, how are you attaching your line to spear...knot or splice? Any issues with band tangles?

Hey Justin,

I had a few band tangle issues with my hybrid guns. I've since then switched over to a Pathos carbon 90, and a 110 roller and haven't had any issues. I think most of it has to do with keeping your shooting line tucked under your bands somehow. I'll take some pictures soon. I use a figure eight knot and it works perfectly. Be sure to get any burrs out of your shaft.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Chuckitall

I use the same line from Benthic and tie it at both ends with a bowline. None of mine have come undone, but can easily be untied.
Chuckitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

A good friend of mine uses stainless core on a euro riffe and never had troubles. I'm going to give a try for the mako stainless steel core (coated)(http://www.makospearguns.com/Stainle...ne-p/msssl.htm) on the heavier shafts and if it doesn't work (loss of accuracy, tangling etc..) will switch to spectra. Thanks all for the contribution.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
Hey Alec, on your site only the 2.2 mm is listed as Dyneema. There is some 1.4 and some 1.9 listed as "stiff line". Do you guys have other sizes of Dyneema other than the 2.2?
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #13
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
Hey Alec, on your site only the 2.2 mm is listed as Dyneema. There is some 1.4 and some 1.9 listed as "stiff line". Do you guys have other sizes of Dyneema other than the 2.2?
Sorry for the confusion, the 1.4 and 1.9 are both dyneema. I'd go with the 1.9, I feel the 1.4 is too small for anything besides an inshore gun
Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Dr.P

Also a convert to dyneema from mono. Have used the 2.2 (which is what I use on all my reels), but prefer the 1.9. It is plenty strong, the limiting factor is still the swivel. I couldn't imagine going back. I use ET guns, however, and never cross my line over the shaft. I've never had a tangle, but I imagine the story might be different with any gun that the line crosses over the shaft.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
Also a convert to dyneema from mono. Have used the 2.2 (which is what I use on all my reels), but prefer the 1.9. It is plenty strong, the limiting factor is still the swivel. I couldn't imagine going back. I use ET guns, however, and never cross my line over the shaft. I've never had a tangle, but I imagine the story might be different with any gun that the line crosses over the shaft.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, crossing the dyneema over the muzzle may be more likely to tangle but I doubt it. Me and plenty of other friends have been using it from small rail guns, to wood guns, to carbon bluewaters. Most of us are using a slip-knot instead of a swivel. There's a youtube video of Rob Allen explaining the slip-knot in depth. Let me know if you have any questions, or call the shop!

Alec