Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #31
JameyK

Re: Gun Build: in progress

Balsa is a brilliant idea, I just happen to have some small teak scraps on hand, but now I sure wish I had balsa. I just started with thin teak scales last night and I will sculpt Apoxie putty for the details. The handle scales are removable right now so I can cast lightweight replicas if need be. Photos coming soon

I have done salt grip in the past, and it has held up for over 10 years! But it’s not the best for a clear finish in my opinion. I had issues with clouding up after some time. Your solid color makes it look awesome. The carbon layup on your gun is very similar to what I have planned
JameyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #32
Dbrown

The "glamour" shots of that gun are really cool Mikel. Beautiful gun.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #33
JameyK

So here are the pictures to go with my recent journey of handle shaping. I did a mock up with lightweight Hearty clay so that I could make the initial shape out of a clay that would dry, so I could do some test gripping and aiming. I attached the handle frame to a piece of scrap wood so that I had something to point and aim. You can see in the photos that the original metal frame has been modified with the grinder many times and it is now much smaller. When I first got the handle I cut some teak scales to fit it, but you can see in the photos they are now much too big. They are also too thick when I compare them to the scales I made out of Hearty clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4984.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	246364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4985.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	246365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4986.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	246366  
Old 11-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #34
JameyK

I have struggled in the past with trying to grind a nice handle shape out of wood, so I knew that I did not want to start with too much wood and shape in. I wanted to start with a solid wood base and shape out with clay to match my hand. I wanted to use the same teak scales I had already cut, but they were 5/8” and I needed them to be about 5/16” and they were much too small to piggyback through the planer. I ended up gluing the teak to a piece of scrap wood with 3M 77 spray and then cutting them to the right thickness on the table saw. It worked perfectly and I even cut off the remaining teak from the 2x4 and it is the same thickness as the metal handle so I can use it as scrap to fill voids between the two scales. Then with a jigsaw, rasps, router, and Dremel, I reshaped the scales to match my handle and chamfered the edges
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4988.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	246367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4989.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	246368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4990.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	246369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4995.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	246370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4994.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	246371  

Old 11-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #35
JameyK

Next it was time to build out the handle to fit the shape of my handle. Thank you again to spearq8 for his awesome videos and writeups on the subject. I used Apoxie Sculpt which I love working with, but unfortunately it is just too heavy for the finished product, so I am going the route of Mikel_24 and these will get molded and cast. Im really happy with the feel and alignment of the grip. Since these photos I have done a bit more touch up sanding and void filling. The two scales peeled off the handle frame no problem
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5016.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	246372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5011.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	246373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5012.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	246374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5013.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	246375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5014.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	246376  

Name:	IMG_5015.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	246377  
Old 11-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #36
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameyK View Post
... But it’s not the best for a clear finish in my opinion. I had issues with clouding up after some time. Your solid color makes it look awesome. The carbon layup on your gun is very similar to what I have planned
I like solid colors for two reasons. The practical one is that bright yellow, orange or white are easy to spot in a dark bottom if I happen to drop it or get a tangle in the reel and cannot surface with it in my hand. The aesthetical one is that I can match the vinyl stickers color to the handle and to the reel (MVD Soft Touch reels are available in few colors), which is a nice touch.

I have plenty of pigments and I have used white, yellow and orange (a tad dark for my taste). Next one might be pink just for a change.

The yellowing of the epoxy might be related to the lack of UV filters (if you are using laminating epoxy) instead of top coat epoxy... MAYBE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown
The "glamour" shots of that gun are really cool Mikel. Beautiful gun.
Thanks! I made it for a guy in my spearfishing club. The build thread is here in Spearboard. I received in semi-finish state (according to the guy who got me involved in this) but the truth is that I just got a bunch of parts and rectangular stock... go figure.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:22 AM   #37
doyenofcastle

don't to forget to keep that part in the stock center line .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	adv.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	246380  
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #38
JameyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post

The yellowing of the epoxy might be related to the lack of UV filters (if you are using laminating epoxy) instead of top coat epoxy... MAYBE!

Mikel
You are 100% correct. I used west systems with a 207 Hardner. It’s got fairly low UV rating. It never yellowed, but the salt made it kind of cloudy.

What epoxy and pigments are you using for your solid colors? They look great. When I do thin brush on layers I have a hard time getting certain colors to be opaque. Especially white. I’m usually using West systems Epoxy and pigment from fiberglass Hawaii
Old 11-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #39
JameyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
don't to forget to keep that part in the stock center line .
For sure! Good eye.
I’m not sure why it looks so crooked in the photo. That seam is over the center plate of the handle frame and the handle mounting plate is definitely good and centered. I will definitely go back and triple check my work now
Old 12-01-2020, 03:37 AM   #40
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameyK View Post
You are 100% correct. I used west systems with a 207 Hardner. It’s got fairly low UV rating. It never yellowed, but the salt made it kind of cloudy.

What epoxy and pigments are you using for your solid colors? They look great. When I do thin brush on layers I have a hard time getting certain colors to be opaque. Especially white. I’m usually using West systems Epoxy and pigment from fiberglass Hawaii
I am currently using this pigments from this store but pretty sure any store that sells resins for crafts will have their own version.
https://www.feroca.com/es/pigmentos-...empastado.html

They have a thick paste-like texture and I usually just pick up a little with the tip of the same stick I will be using for mixing the resin+hardener. A little bit goes a long way, don't put too much because it will slow the curing reaction (in my experience). Manufacturer recommends no more than 3% but if I am mixing only 10gr of resin for the handle... I would be in drug dealing territory to measure 0,3gr of pigment, so I do it by eye.

I always give two coats to insure a nice even coverage because when I skin the mech-handle-loading butt area with CF, the handle gets partially covered with CF and the contrast of black CF over white-ish PU handle is hard to even out in one go. The second coat goes on as soon as the first one is cured to the point of the finger sticking but not runny... so I insure chemical bond between coats. If you let the first coat much longer, you will need to wait until fully cured and sand to provide texture and guarantee mechanical adhesion.

For the final coats I use a Top Coat from a different store:
https://www.castrocompositesshop.com...nsparente.html

I talked to the guys (located here in Galicia, Spain) and this is what they recommended. I have two products from them, the aforementioned one for final coats and a manual lamination resin for gluing the wood pieces and CF skinning. So far so good. goes on thick, it is self-leveling and none of my guns have yellowed at all so far.

I only had one issue with my latest gun. I was getting islands not covered with the product. Seemed like the surface tension was pulling it away in spots. First time it happens. I think that the semifinished gun sat too long in the shop (we do mechanical stuff, welding, etc in there as well) and got contaminated (I cleaned with warm water, soap and even acetone) but didn't eliminate the issue 100%. Not exactly the fisheyes issue you get when spray painting a car due to silicone contamination but close. Will be more carefull the with the next gun and have them well protected between work sesions.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 05:11 PM   #41
JameyK

Well it only took me about 3 years, but I finally finished this gun!
I wish I had time to document the step by step like I did in 2020, but work, kids, and life have kept me busy.

The gun is 2 bands, 133cm of stretch, neptonics reverse trigger mech, shallow open track, custom shaped high handle (which started with a meandros frame), Ulusub 100m reel with a countersunk base. Carbon fiber wrap on the handle and belly of the gun. Custom 7.5mm Addiction double flopper shaft with minimal overhang (65.125"), and the second flopper is captured under the shooting line.
Im very proud of the final buoyancy. Just barely negative. Sits flat and neutral. I wish I had underwater pics of it hovering. This gun is a result of years of scouring this forum and looking at the feedback of regular builders and contributors like spearq8, Behslayer, Mikel_24, kavachi, musubi.. and so many more. Thank you!

I have since added a nose cone to the shaft. I removed the shooting line bungee. I currently have been shooting it with 16mm rubber at 350-360%. It has been dead accurate but seems like it can handle a little more power. I will most likely move towards 14.5mm rubber at 380%+

This gun was built for those days where we shore swim out for pelagic, but then stop and shoot some reef on the way back in. My current Bluewater gun was a KAP 140 euro with an 8mm slip tip. It punches through big fish but it is sooo muzzle heavy, and its too much for the reef.
I haven't had any Ones or Ukus since Ive finished this gun, but I made a few reef dives and sniped some mu and uhus with excellent results. I currently have it rigged with double wrap of mono, but I think Im going to move to a single wrap, possibly of dyneema.

Right now, my only regret is not setting it up with the ulusub style half wrap option. And the magnet I put under the track, although it will hold a screwdriver to the track, unfortunately doesn't do anything significant for the shafts I have
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	249167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	249168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	249169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	249170  
Old 06-27-2023, 05:18 PM   #42
JameyK

Here's a couple more photos.

Oh, and the gun is called "The Pewer" 133cm, because when I started construction of it my son was 3yrs old and called all guns "pewers". (Because they go "pew pew")
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	249171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	249172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0717.jpg
Views:	62