Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #16
Fat Larry

Re: Foot pocket suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I think the issue is pretty simple to understand. The idea is that if the sole of the footpocket flexes, then that is consuming energy.

Ideally, you want a footpocket that is stiff under the foot, yet the top is flexible enough to be comfortable and this combination will allow power to be applied to the blade where it is beneficial.

If you kick hard in a fin with "soft heels".. meaning a flexible sole, then you will feel the pocket flex, it puts pressure from the tail end of the blade up into the bottom of the center of the foot and it just does not feel right.
Thats actually a different issue to the toes flapping around with a high instep..

I'm pretty confused by the Pathos. People have raved about them but apparently a heal with no support isn't an issue???

The mares razors were the same and felt bloody horrible in the water. Haven't tried the pathos yet but i'm not holding my breath that they'll be any good.
Fat Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #17
ronscuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Larry View Post
^^^ Lucky you. If you have a foot shape that its a none issue for then i guess you wouldn't. i saw a diagram of the issue on here i think but can't find it.

Just imagine a flat plank balancing on a fulcrum. The plank has a lot more weight on one end (the blade of a fin being pushed through water). Now imagine that fulcrum has a foot underneath it. The fulcrum want's to move the plank but the plank will first pivot around the fulcrum and then come into contact with the foot before it begins to move.
But the blade is attached to the bottom of the footpocket. If you curled your toes up I can picture a flapping toe problem, but if you keep your toes pointed and pressed down, the toes should be touching the bottom of the footpocket.
ronscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #18
Fat Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronscuba View Post
But the blade is attached to the bottom of the footpocket. If you curled your toes up I can picture a flapping toe problem, but if you keep your toes pointed and pressed down, the toes should be touching the bottom of the footpocket.
Not sure you quite understand what i'm meaning.

I tried two more pockets last night. Pathos and seatec.

Really like the way the pathos fit. The front of the pocket is firm in all the right places and allows for good power transfer. However you can feel the pocket flex where the blade ends and the associated power loss.

The seatecs have the opposite problem, with their rigid plastic sleeve that the blade sits in there is no movement around the sole of the pocket. However the top front of the pocket is soft and i could feel movement and power loss here.

Both of them were far better then the mares but neither were perfect. I think it may be time to start designing my own pockets...

Last edited by Fat Larry; 04-04-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Fat Larry is offline   Reply With Quote