Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #46
popgun pete

Re: А fling to the classics

May be worth contacting Carbon C4 and explaining the situation with your photos and asking for their technical advice. If you use the right voice and don't come across as a complainer, stating from the outset that the gun was acquired second-hand, then you may pique their interest as this then becomes a problem solving situation. They may respond, they may not, but it will not involve any additional effort as you have already taken the photos.

I have found this approach can facilitate a correspondence and avoid any adversarial situation where there may be a reluctance to reply.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #47
Behslayer

Fat Larry, if I had to fix that thing.. I'd put it on my milling machine table and set everything up perfectly level and straight.. which is not easy to do on a curvy girl like that. But once that was done it would be a pretty simple process..

A line between two points is straight. So I'd run that line with a 5/16" ball bit and see how off things are. Assuming that it's pretty off, I'd take a 1/2" Straight bit and machine out a strip the length of the gun and just under the depth of the bottom of the track. With the gun in the soft grips of the vice, ie without moving it from the milling machine, and without moving the position of the cutter. I'd take a strip of 1/2" G-10 Black and Epoxy that in place where you wanted track. Next day I'd put back in the 5/16" ball bit and run the center track. Then I'd see if I could shape the sides using another but if necessary. G-10 is great stuff for that application and comes in black. You wouldn't really need to do the whole track, you could match the spots where you have rail now. Then hand sand to flush.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #48
Behslayer

Fat Larry, here's another way to possibly fix this without having any tools.

Take a String and figure out what is going on with the curve. Where it is and how long etc and measure any deviation and mark it off.

You could then take a piece of thinner shaft and wrap with some 100 grit sand paper and sand away the part that needs to go for this to be a straight line. Hopefully it's not that long of a piece.

These pics are of a gun I was building where the side of the Epoxy Open track chipped a little on top when I was cutting the stock. But in a way it's similar to what you would need to do for your fix. First I take some Clear packing tape and put sticky side down in the track. The tape will com up the sides of the track and form a wall. Then I take the shaft and wrap with 2 sheets of paper. This make it a perfect fit in the track and presses against the non sticky side of the tape and supports the wall. Then I take another piece of tape and cover the other side of the wood so that any epoxy/graphite/etc that overflows from the chipped area will not make a mess. Next day remove and WetSand flush using a shaft and going from 100 to 600.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fl2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	232601   Click image for larger version

Name:	fl3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	232602   Click image for larger version

Name:	fl4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	232603  
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #49
popgun pete

I think Diving Gecko pretty well covered it, the problem with the curvy C4 would be setting it up for machining as unlike a timber stock blank there are no flat faces to work from when securing it and lining it up for making any cuts. Plus it is not like you could shoot a rat tail file out of it in order to form a new track. How much material is in the top of the stock that can be removed without ruining it is another question. Use a straight edge to check the extent of deviations and that will determine the magnitude of the task and whether it is worth proceeding given the skills and tools available to you.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #50
Fat Larry

Thanks guys.

A very generous friend gives me access his work shop.. very lucky. There's a mill can use so that option is available if i comes to it but i am more inclined to start as small as possible so i will start by looking into correcting the current track before i consider removing it and rebuilding. Good suggestion Jon, thank you.
Fat Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #51
Behslayer

No worries. I've made so many mistakes and repaired so many damaged guns at this point. Pete, it's not easy and it's not easy, but it is possible to take even the curviest stock without a flat on it anywhere and jig it up. The Mill Head is true. So essentially you fasten one end and center it, and then work from there to make sure the other end matches. A straight line between 2 points. vs. using a Fence based system which requires a squared edge and a straight line is a parallel to your straight edge.

Larry let us know how it turns out. I'm always interested in Speargun surgeries.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 AM   #52
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I like Jon's idea, too but yeah, securing the gun is the challenge.
But I've had luck using epoxy putty, even polymorph(!), for making jigs for odd shaped items for simple milling operations in plastic. (Like milling a slot for a line release in a 30-odd year old pneumatic gun handle).
I think the epoxy putty could work even for the harder material like your gun. It sets fast and should be strong enough. What I did was to pretty much just place a ball of the mixed putty under the handle and then I pressed the handle down into the putty. The putty will then become a nice, tight base offering good support to the item in question. After the putty set, I did have to shim it a little to get the handle level. Finally, I just clamped down on top of it. Worked surprisingly well, even on my wobbly, cheap bench drill with an even cheaper milling bed.

Good luck with it, no matter what you decide to do, and please let us know how it goes:-)

Last edited by Diving Gecko; Yesterday at 03:14 AM.
Diving Gecko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:48 AM   #53
Fat Larry

I will
Fat Larry is offline   Reply With Quote