Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
BenGreen

Andre Accuracy

Hey guys, so I got a new gun a little while ago, it's a three band Andre with a Euro style handle, I think it's the Iron Wood model. I am having accuracy issues after about 10 dives with this gun. I did take down a wsb this weekend, but that was more of a lucky shot. It's probably not the gun and just me needing to get used to it, but it seems when I get pretty close to my target and have a 'sure shot' I totally miss. I suspect it has to do with the recoil of a 3 band gun with the standard setup (my first 3 band gun). I used to have a Sea Sniper that got lost and that thing was like a laser. My other wsb gun is a Mako Predator 120, which has solid accuracy as well, I just wanted some more power.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
BenGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz
Re: Andre Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGreen View Post
Hey guys, so I got a new gun a little while ago, it's a three band Andre with a Euro style handle, I think it's the Iron Wood model. I am having accuracy issues after about 10 dives with this gun. I did take down a wsb this weekend, but that was more of a lucky shot. It's probably not the gun and just me needing to get used to it, but it seems when I get pretty close to my target and have a 'sure shot' I totally miss. I suspect it has to do with the recoil of a 3 band gun with the standard setup (my first 3 band gun). I used to have a Sea Sniper that got lost and that thing was like a laser. My other wsb gun is a Mako Predator 120, which has solid accuracy as well, I just wanted some more power.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
burn it , as it would not worth to do anything else with it .
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
BenGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
burn it , as it would not worth to do anything else with it .
I take it you don't like Andre guns...
Old 11-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

more tahitian pearls of wisdom from our troppo friend. nice one Marc

thats a great gun Ben, might need a little tuning to get it shooting right for you. Find a pool and some foam with a black centre spot for a target [heaps of good advice here on SB re easy cheap target setups] measure and mark your normal shooting distance, and do a HEAP of shots. see where the shots are going, how much variation btwn shots.

Andre's changed his handles a fair bit and yours may be ergonomic shape or an AR, but most guns, esp three band shooters are going to benefit hugely from a properly shaped recoil-absorbing handle,

depends on diam and stretch of course, but three bands is a LOT of power for 9/32" x 54" shaft, ample scope there for recoil to be wrecking accuracy. I'm shooting similarly dense wood gun and getting enough power from two 14mm small ID bands at 380% to push a 19/64" shaft straight through a good fish at 15 feet

Might not be an issue with 9/32" shaft, but some of the ironwood and padauk guns are really muzzle heavy, you can drop down to 50" or 48" shaft [flopper hangs down just in front of muzzle] which lightens the muzzle up heaps. short overhang might affect your aim point, but its a new gun for you anyway, and easy to iron out with a decent pool sesh

Bit of pool time helps so much in working out whats goin wrong. And try the modded handle, can always go back to original

helluva fish in yr photo mate
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
BenGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
more tahitian pearls of wisdom from our troppo friend. nice one Marc

thats a great gun Ben, might need a little tuning to get it shooting right for you. Find a pool and some foam with a black centre spot for a target [heaps of good advice here on SB re easy cheap target setups] measure and mark your normal shooting distance, and do a HEAP of shots. see where the shots are going, how much variation btwn shots.

Andre's changed his handles a fair bit and yours may be ergonomic shape or an AR, but most guns, esp three band shooters are going to benefit hugely from a properly shaped recoil-absorbing handle,

depends on diam and stretch of course, but three bands is a LOT of power for 9/32" x 54" shaft, ample scope there for recoil to be wrecking accuracy. I'm shooting similarly dense wood gun and getting enough power from two 14mm small ID bands at 380% to push a 19/64" shaft straight through a good fish at 15 feet

Might not be an issue with 9/32" shaft, but some of the ironwood and padauk guns are really muzzle heavy, you can drop down to 50" or 48" shaft [flopper hangs down just in front of muzzle] which lightens the muzzle up heaps. short overhang might affect your aim point, but its a new gun for you anyway, and easy to iron out with a decent pool sesh

Bit of pool time helps so much in working out whats goin wrong. And try the modded handle, can always go back to original

helluva fish in yr photo mate
Thanks yeah I need to be patient and get it dialed in properly, planning on doing some target shooting over the weekend. I will try it with 2 bands and see how that feels.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Triton

what size gun and shaft are you using? You're probably right, 3 bands is likely just too much for it
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
Behslayer

Probably they switched to Small ID Bands. And tied them at higher stretch. And this adds a whole Lot of Power and Snap. More than needed for the gun and shaft. The good news is you'll only need 2 bands.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
BenGreen

Spear is 155cm which includes the slip tip and 7mm thick. Bands are 16mm and gun is a total length of 146cm. Heading out today to do some testing.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Behslayer

You should switch to 2 x 14.5mm at 360%. If that feels like it's accurate and could use more power you could tie tighter. 3 x 16mm on a 7mm shaft is not a good combination. Alternately you could up to an 8mm (5/16" Shaft) and see how that goes. 16mm bands are outdated on a gun like that. Probably they are 5/8" Regular ID. Those should get replaced with 14.5mm Small Id and use 2. You could tie those 2 at higher stretch with either 7mm, 7.5mm or 8mm.. The only match for 3 bands would be those bands tied a bit loose ie 340% with a 5/16" (8mm)..

All this being said sometimes it's something else.. It could be as simple as a drop of epoxy not letting the Line Release come all the way forward and grabbing the Shooting line and throwing the shot off.. Really a process of elimination or using a camera with side view.

I'd start with replacing the bands or just using 2.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #10
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

I agree with Jon
just be careful going heavier shaft - ironwood's a LOT less buoyant than teak, and given Andre's built it for 7mm, heavier shaft MAY make gun too muzzle heavy. reducing shaft overhang [ie shorter shaft] will help.
its a real challenge getting sufficient muzzle buoyancy for bigger shafts with 0.8+ spec grav wood, without ending up with a bloody great bulbous bow

Last edited by kavachi; 11-08-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

...per yr other thread, sell the Andre as is and buy a Denton 120 with the new handle - no mucking around whatsoever required with that baby
Old 11-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
memosub

3 16mm bands are the correct setup for 5/16" or 8mm shaft on a open track gun, for a 7 mm shaft it is too much power unless you have a enclosed track!!! let only 2 16mm bands and you will shoot accurately
memosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
BenGreen

Thanks for the replies guys...
I forgot to mention, I do have an Enclosed Track.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
Nix

2 bands. Easy fix.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #15
BenGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
2 bands. Easy fix.