Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #1
fr0sty

Loading pathos/reverse mech

I just got a new pathos open laser pro with the d'angelo II handle/reverse mech and have trouble loading to the tab in the back. I don't have a lot of "meat" on my chest, so the butt pad is resting on my sternum. I can get the bands to the second tab, but that 1.5 inches to the rear tab, to me, seems physically impossible.

Anyone else have this problem or does anyone have any tips to get it there?
I was thinking maybe this conversion would add extra length to the butt to put some distance from the tab to my chest. http://www.spearamerica.com/speargun...or-pathos.html
Or maybe this loading butt? http://www.spearamerica.com/speargun...t-advance.html
fr0sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
Panunu
Kody Panui

Re: Loading pathos/reverse mech

Hey frosty,
I totally understand your situation. I am a kinda short guy 5'7" with not much muscle. However, I do own a wide variety of guns ranging from 60cm to 140. The 140 still kicks my butt, although I have picked up on some techniques for loading, over time. Since you say you can get the bands to the first tab, but can't make it to the last one, then I see initial band pull is not a problem for you. For the last leg, I use an underhand, palm up grip for this part. I feel that this gives a better arm position to bring back the band vs the overhand to initially bring the band back. If this does not work those pad add ons look great. I would not recommend switching the mech just for the butt pad as I have that mech for my gun but I bought it for the extra band stretch, not for the pad. Hope this helps.

Kody
Panunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0sty View Post
I just got a new pathos open laser pro with the d'angelo II handle/reverse mech and have trouble loading to the tab in the back. I don't have a lot of "meat" on my chest, so the butt pad is resting on my sternum. I can get the bands to the second tab, but that 1.5 inches to the rear tab, to me, seems physically impossible.

Anyone else have this problem or does anyone have any tips to get it there?
I was thinking maybe this conversion would add extra length to the butt to put some distance from the tab to my chest. http://www.spearamerica.com/speargun...or-pathos.html
Or maybe this loading butt? http://www.spearamerica.com/speargun...t-advance.html
Part of it is trying to stick your chest out, as you make that final pull to load the notch very close to your chest. Instead of trying to pull your arms back so far, try to stick your chest up and out as the final component of the band pull process..

On the other hand, I personally find it kinda ridiculous to use a gun that requires you to bring the band so close to your chest. A few extra inches of butt extension or length, makes the gun much, much easier to load and more comfortable, but some people consider this extra length "wasted space".

They want the absolutely shortest gun with the maximum band pull.. Geometry dictates that if this is your over-riding priority, then you are going to need a gun (and shaft) configuration which puts the notches or tabs almost on your chest.

I tend to load the gun a lot getting in and out of the water, (and shooting too) - 15-20 or more times per day. I want a gun that is not painful or has me seeing stars when I load it. A few extra inches of length, is well worth the trade off for me.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Triton

Try loading on the upper ab muscles, keeps my skinny chest from getting tore up. Also sounds like you might just need a tab bit longer or thinner bands to start with until you get the muscle memory part down. That gun is pretty efficient so you're not likely to lose much if any performance. I personally use an over hand grip so I can use my back muscles more. Once you get used to it you will appreciate that extra band stretch you have!
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
fr0sty

Thanks guys, I'll try out the different techniques and see if it can get it. I've been using an overhand grip, but hopefully with underhand and sticking out the chest/putting on the abs, I can get it all the way.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
Jankglass

Get yourself a shaft with a resting tab. Also gripping the bands overhand rather underhand makes things easier.
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankglass View Post
Get yourself a shaft with a resting tab. Also gripping the bands overhand rather underhand makes things easier.
Pathos shafts have a rest tab.The issue is the rear fin is so close to your chest you don't have any leverage.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
Jankglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
Pathos shafts have a rest tab.The issue is the rear fin is so close to your chest you don't have any leverage.
I see. I shoot a rob allen 110. Definitely takes a little elbow grease to pull them bands back. You can do it!
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #9
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankglass View Post
I see. I shoot a rob allen 110. Definitely takes a little elbow grease to pull them bands back. You can do it!
The Ra shafts also have the notches further from the handle so you got a little more leverage.Imo pathos guns are some of the most uncomfortable guns to load but man do I love em.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #10
brandon cadalzo

I hated loading it to until I got the knack for it. Now it's a breeze with 14.5mm small id bands. Are you using small id bands? That makes a world of difference with loading and adds a lot more power. My 100cm is set with 14.5mm @ 360% stretch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2016, 12:06 AM   #11
spearq8

The max sweet spot where you can load a gun on your abdomen is about 15cm to 17cm (distance of last shark fin to end of loading butt). I think shorter than that and you have to chest load. Chest loading can be painful if you do many repeated loads. The Pathos with D'Angelo 1 handle is about 18cm while with the D'Angelo II handle is about 16cm. Get a wet suit that has the loading pad and of course make sure you have a rest tab on your shaft. It really is more about technique than it is about strength ... you sort of have to pull quick rather than slowly as the momentum of the quick pull will get you over the fin easier. If you are having a hard time loading the band, try cutting the band with less stretch rather than loading on a front fin. Also use 14mm to 14.5mm small ID bands ... the Pathos performance much better with those bands and thinner bands are much easier to load back.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #12
fr0sty

I already grip the bands overhand, but as apexdiver said, I don't have much leverage because it's so close to my chest. I'm not sure if they're small id bands or not. It's got the original bands on it, which look like they are. I'm gonna try to figure it out before I swap out bands or at least try to wear the bands out a bit so it'll become easier.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
I already grip the bands overhand, but as apexdiver said, I don't have much leverage because it's so close to my chest. I'm not sure if they're small id bands or not. It's got the original bands on it, which look like they are. I'm gonna try to figure it out before I swap out bands or at least try to wear the bands out a bit so it'll become easier.
Stock bands are 2 17.5 mm,swap those out out for some small id 14 mm and you should see an improvement in loading,accuracy,power,and overall just a smoother shot.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #14
fr0sty

What's a good % stretch? 360% or the standard 300%?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 PM   #15
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
What's a good % stretch? 360% or the standard 300%?
I would go 360% if you go with the small id 14s.