Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
GonzalezAlfonso

New to Spearfishing need some help !

Hi guys my name is Alfonso I'm new to this forum and I'm also new to Spearfishing and free diving, I'm stuck between getting a pneumatic speargun and a band speargun. I'm going to mostly be diving 40-70 feet of water, I plan to hunt in coral reefs and open water as well. I'm gonna be mostly going for medium sized fish and large fish. The gun I have in mind is a pneumatic speargun, a Mares Cyrano 970. Is this gun good for the environments I'm going to be in ? I also live in South Florida so the water is clear here. I would appreciate all the help I can get !
GonzalezAlfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Nix

Re: New to Spearfishing need some help !

You're new to free diving and doing 70 feet? Sounds dangerous for a beginner. Please get someone experienced who can be a mentor if possible.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

The vast majority of spearos seem to prefer the simplicity of band guns, but I have heard a couple instances where people really like their pneumatic. I've never tried one.

And yeah, don't freedive more than 30' or so without real training. Don't die...
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
GonzalezAlfonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
You're new to free diving and doing 70 feet? Sounds dangerous for a beginner. Please get someone experienced who can be a mentor if possible.
No worries Nix I'm taking classes from a professional trainer he's gonna get me diving between 40-70 feet of water sorry for not specifying that.
GonzalezAlfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Williamsc

pnuematic spearguns are more dangerous in my opinion. Too many things can go wrong when loading one. I work Fire Rescue and have heard and seen too many accidents with them. Still very few accidents with band guns. I like bands better too, faster reloading and you can change your power depending on the day and where u are hunting and what fish.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

I also hear pneumatics can be a pain with maintenance - O-rings and such. Who wants another thing to have to bring in for servicing....
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote