Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #46
Dbrown

Re: Scuba incident/accident/Rescue via USCG Florida Middle Grounds 08/16/2018

The mindshare on this thread has tremendous value. I have shared it all with my 16 year old daughter who spearfishes with me a bit (55 dives for her, bout 800 for me) We have weigh in from the full gammet of divers from recreational to professional.

-mask on if Helicopter coming.
-O2 on all dive boats.
-disconnect hose/kink hose/cut hose for stuck inflators.
-head down kick to bottom while addressing stuck inflators.
-DAN is contacted after emergency Evac and care. They are an insurer and provider of info and support AFTER you have handled your own situation.

Any one piece of information in this thread could save the day for an individual and their family and loved ones. Much respect to all of the contributors.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #47
jfjf

Cutting a bc inflator hose is going to cause you to loose all your air pretty fast. Without redundancy, then this is not such a good idea. I just thought of this.... are people
Talking about cutting the low pressure inflation hose from the regulator or
The corrugated hose between the inflator and the bc.

If things got bad I might be more inclined to kill the bc than my only gas supply??

Also was diving with an old guy this weekend with many thousands of Commercial dives and he said he got bent once when the bc inflator got Stuck and took him for a ride.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #48
Eibwen

You make a good point about losing your air supply if you cut the LP hose.

I like the idea of inverting & kicking down towards bottom while kinking the inflator hose. I think I'd probably be close to or on surface before I would be able to get my knife out and cut through either tube.

After thinking about it I'm dubious whether a knife hole is going to do much more good than holding open a BC dump valve.

I don't know how often this happens to people (seems like a rare occurrence) but I think there ought to be a better solution to be able to cut off airflow on the LP hose.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #49
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

When you're in an emergency out of control ascent due to a malfunctioning power inflator then you do whatever you have to do in order to not make an uncontrolled ascent to the surface.

Uncontrolled blast to the surface are almost certainty going to cause severe physical trauma up to and including death.

I don't think anyone's talking about making possibly cutting the hose as a desired response to the problem. It would be 3-4 steps down my list. But, if more preferred options fail to correct the problem, and all else has failed, than heck yeah I'd def consider cutting the hose and crimping it off. As far as depleting your air supply, that's always a concern in Scuba diving. But again, you're talking about possible responses to an emergency problem. The first thing you do is solve the most immediate problem and then move on to problem 2.

I hope this helps make it clear to everyone that possibly cutting the hose will never be a first or second level option but if all else fails, it might help save your life.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #50
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

BTW, if you're unsure about the "crimping if off' operation, next time you have a half tank or so at the house try this. Have your reg set up on a partial tank as normal. Adjust the second stage where it will fully free flow. Start it free flowing, grab the reg hose and simply crimp it with your hand. Or, put the second stage in your mouth, breathe normally on it and crimp it off while doing so. You'll be amazed with how simply and well it works.

The inflator and regulator hoses are both LP hoses and will crimp off the same.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #51
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
BTW, if you're unsure about the "crimping if off' operation, next time you have a half tank or so at the house try this. Have your reg set up on a partial tank as normal. Adjust the second stage where it will fully free flow. Start it free flowing, grab the reg hose and simply crimp it with your hand. Or, put the second stage in your mouth, breathe normally on it and crimp it off while doing so. You'll be amazed with how simply and well it works.

The inflator and regulator hoses are both LP hoses and will crimp off the same.
Good advice
Old 10-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #52
Tsm3706

There have been many great suggestions and experiences to learn from shared in this post, I would also add the need to practice some of these contingencies while in the water, except cutting the hose, I’d suggest not practicing that one. However, practice switching regulators at least once a season, practice removing your bc hose and reattaching it, etc. Calm is the name of the game and practice goes a long way to prevent panic which leads to poor decisions. Don’t wait for a foreseeable possibility to become an emergency before you plan for it.
Tsm3706 is offline   Reply With Quote