Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 12-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Bloodygaffsboi

Best spearfishing camera mount?!?

Got a Garmin virb recently to make some cool videos. While doing some wreck diving/ spearfishing in Panama City i had it mounted on the top of my gun stock. After 20 minutes the cam fell off (i didn't give the sticky mount time to cure). I continued the dive just holding by the mounting arm and after reviewing the footage it was unwatchable. Anybody have any decent luck with head mounts, chest mounts, etc...? I don't need to be a Stanley Kubrick or anything but it would be nice to get some semi-steady shots. Thank you all!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: Best spearfishing camera mount?!?

I use a head mount primarily. You need to make sure the mount has a chin strap or you will loose the camera. Or you can wear the mount under a hood.

It takes a while to learn to align the camera - you basically want the face of the lense to be on the same plane as the mask...When you film something in your hands - you need to tilt the camera down a little for close up shots..

Gun mounts also work (MAKO has one for different types of guns) but it makes a very different looking video and you will be constantly tempted to point the camera/gun at people (which should never be done).

You have to practice looking at stuff much longer than normal to generate video with a head mount. It inhibits your ability to scan and hunt efficiently in a really complex environment because you have to move your head like a slow motion zombie.

I used a head mount for all the uw shots in this video.

https://youtu.be/w2z9UCAeocU
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Bloodygaffsboi

Good tips, I think I’m going to stay away from those gun mounts because all though it makes for good quick highlight shots, it’s a little tiring watching half the shot being taken up by the gun. Any experience with the mask mounts?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Lighterknot

I have a hammerhead mask with the built in GoPro mount and it works great. I run my strap a little tighter to keep the camera from trying to fill my mask with water on fast ascents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lighterknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
musubi

I'm using a GoPro mount for my AQA Mantis mask. It's made specifically for this mask so unfortunately if you don't have this mask, it won't work. It's more comfortable than a head strap.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
RaginCajun

Check these guys out.

https://regmount.com/

Pat may still have some in stock at Panama City Diving on Thomas Dr.

Check out my 26' Newton for sale:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-s...portfish.htmll
RaginCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
jersymudsniper

I dont like mask/head mounts because i cant see what is going on with camera. Even though they do get best footage. I make my own camera/reel mounts for gun with epoxy putty over aluminum frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180325-213207.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	237546  
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
Ric

Cool, jersy' .
You got a new cam finally, what is it ? you'd lost a previous Gopro if I recall correctly.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
jersymudsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Cool, jersy' .
You got a new cam finally, what is it ? you'd lost a previous Gopro if I recall correctly.
I'v had the cheap session but dont get much video because we never have camera viz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG954977.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	237547  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
Ric

uhoh 3/26/2018...you may be the first.
I got the 'cheap' session' too.
Cheap is relative, you have plenty of Chinese clones that claim to shoot in 1920X1080 60fps for half the price of the Session.
Do you shoot with a dive case or you let the session get wet ?
Old 03-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
jersymudsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
uhoh 3/26/2018...you may be the first.
I got the 'cheap' session' too.
Cheap is relative, you have plenty of Chinese clones that claim to shoot in 1920X1080 60fps for half the price of the Session.
Do you shoot with a dive case or you let the session get wet ?
Case and magenta filter. I dont wanna find out if its waterproof past 30 ft. I'd get another good gopro but for the turbid kinda beat up diveing we do i'd rather have a cheap one. If i was boat diveing in clear water it be diff story.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #12
Ric

Talking Re: Best spearfishing camera mount?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
Case and magenta filter. I dont wanna find out if its waterproof past 30 ft.
Same for me, I wait for somebody to try it first and so far nobody seems in a hurry to try. I hoped that'd be YOU

I use a Red filer, I lost the Magenta already. The Red takes a lot of light away, but with some white balance post processing, it can still produce some good color at 20-25 ft.

PS: to answer the opening thread, I have the camera on the head, a Gopro Head mount with chin strap, from Mako. And that's not enough, IMO you need a hood on top of it. My winter suit already has a hood, so I put the hood, the mask, the camera and then another light summer hood (woman hood) to hold the camera more steady. Otherwise during vertical dive or ascent, the head mount will move if there is no restriction on its movement. The hood does that job OK.
But that's still not enough. In my experience, no matter how tight you screw the Gopro between its two ' jaws' , the camera will still move during vertical move, especially dive/descent, even if the head strap itself is held steady by the hood, the camera rotates between its 2 jaws. That makes the camera looks upward, which means that when you lay down on the sand and watch forward, the camera is actually looking at the surface and your video is ruined. To prevent that, I superglued a small piece of cork on the flat base of the camera mount. It is difficult to explain without a draw but basically, now the camera is restrained and cannot rotate upward because I kinda filled the free angle with the cork.
It's a small thing to mention, but that can save you a good video.

Last edited by Ric; 03-26-2018 at 06:06 PM.