Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
kwyoungspear

How long to get Tec/Trimix certified?

For awhile now I've been interested in getting Tec certified, not just for spearfishing, but for wreck diving, and exploring the deep in general. After looking it up on PADI it seemed like there was a bunch of bullshit certifications involved that would just be a waste of money "like deep air" tec40 etc.

I've done many dives 150-210 on regular air and hundreds of deep nitrox dives and understand deco procedures, nitox, oxygen in deco use and other basic things that just seem redundate for me to pay for.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to skip what I already know so I'm not just giving away money and time for a card that says I do know it?

*** I'm not trying to skip steps and jump right into deep diving, just save money and time on the stuff I already know but am not officially certified for***
Old 08-07-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
kwyoungspear

Re: How long to get Tec/Trimix certified?

Right now I am a certified "advanced open water", nitrox, and rescue diver.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Intro to tech > Advanced Nitrox > Deco Procedures > Helitrox > Trimix > Advanced Trimix.

How fast you get thru the above sequence depends on how many thousands of dollars you have, how many consecutive days you can spend in a classroom or underwater and if your instructor passes you on to the next course level. I've seen a couple do it as fast as 6 months but usually it will take alot longer. Fast, cheap & trimix won't happen together.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
CuzzA

Another path with fewer steps would be to do the Deep Diver specialty. The course work is silly, but you can do the 4 required dives in doubles to add some skills to the training.

From there you can go to IANTD's Advanced Recreational Trimix which will give you access to helium, also done in doubles and provides training to a depth of 160 and limited to 15 minutes of deco. After that the gas courses are all about how deep and how much deco you want to take on.

PADI Deep Diver

IANTD Advanced Recreational Trimix
What do you need to enroll in this program?
Open Circuit
  • Must be a qualified IANTD Deep Diver or equivalent.
  • Must be a qualified IANTD EANx Diver or equivalent.
  • Must be a minimum of 15 years old.
  • Proof of a minimum of 30 logged dives or sufficient experience to satisfy the instructor that the student has the ability and knowledge to continue into this level of training.
Another route which doesn't incorporate the use of Helium and you are already qualified to do is Technical Diver.

You could also take Advanced EANx and then Normoxic Trimix.

I'm only familiar with IANTD as that's the agency my instructor uses so there may be other routes with different agencies.

Last edited by CuzzA; 08-08-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added Info.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

You'll want a few dozen dives in doubles minimum if you're serious about deep diving on mix.Singles are just bounces at those depths and helium doesn't really change much except what you remember.
Avoid kooks who advise you on shit they don't actually do.

I did it in 99 for the same reason and after a few long ass hangs got over it.
Did manage to do a few of the wrecks in your area deeper than 200 and got a few cool fish.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
kwyoungspear

Thanks for the input guys. And Tony, I would love to dive up north for a change of scenery.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
jadairiii

I am both IANTD and GUE certified. If you are really interested in doing some deeper dives I would strongly suggest the GUE route.

2 classes, Fundamentals Tec and then Tec 1. At the end you will be really squared away.

FYI, most of any Tech class is becoming proficient with the gear, gas switches, emergency procedures. "learning" to dive trimix takes all of about 10 min.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadairiii View Post
I am both IANTD and GUE certified. If you are really interested in doing some deeper dives I would strongly suggest the GUE route.

2 classes, Fundamentals Tec and then Tec 1. At the end you will be really squared away.

FYI, most of any Tech class is becoming proficient with the gear, gas switches, emergency procedures. "learning" to dive trimix takes all of about 10 min.
Thank you for the advice!! I'll be looking into this