Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-26-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
HEX
Hector F.

Reliable Trailer Tires

I should be asking this on The Hull Truth, Continuous wave or a forum of that sorts but I thought i'd ask the boat vets here first! I plan to start towing my 17' Whaler long distances let's say between 450-600 miles one way. I'm already replacing bearings, checking leaf springs suspension for wear, already have a spare tire (contemplating getting a second just in case), next is getting 2 new tires for my single axle trailer. Thing is I have no experience buying new trailer tires so I want something reliable and something that I can trust on the road. I've been doing some research but keep reading mixed reviews on several brand tires I've been looking at. Was thinking of getting Goodyear Marathon ST175/80R13 I read that Radial tires stay cooler. What do you guys suggest? Staying safe is the main priority hence why i'm preparing. Thanks in advance.

Hector
Old 02-27-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Re: Reliable Trailer Tires

When it comes to trailer tires, the reasons for bias ply tires are two-fold: 1. The bias ply is a softer bodied tire, so the trailer takes less of a beating. 2. Slightly less costly.

Given the weight of the small boat, and the size of the tire, I will suggest any good load range C radial tire. You do not HAVE to have a trailer tire. Trailer tires are rated lower speed, and all things being equal, when using a comparable load range tire, the highway tire is a better choice every time.
FWIW, our backhoe trailers run road tires on them, but then again, we run 8 tires, and they are range F. But the backhoes are around 14,500lb, plus the trailer weight. I mean, HEAVY. And we see several years of service, without failures until guys pinch them on curbs or run over metal objects to slice the tires.
On my boat trailer, I ran 225/75/15 load range C tires, double axle. Regular tires. Never a tire failure; like as in, 21 years, and no issues. 3 sets of tires in 21 years. Not bad. I was running Kelly Safari tires.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
HEX
Hector F.

Thanks for that Paul!
Old 02-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
Nano54

Trailer tires are like euro guns...... better make sure you have another one because they always fail.....specially when you are going to mex
Nano54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:22 AM   #5
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano54 View Post
Trailer tires are like euro guns...... better make sure you have another one because they always fail.....specially when you are going to mex

Dat be de true!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
fussa
Christos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post

Dat be de true!!!!!!!!
Even when u drive 20miles in Orange County. Lucky was after diving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	224406  
fussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fussa View Post
Bro, wtf happened to your tire!?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fussa View Post
12 year old trailer tire which sits on one spot for lonnnng periods of time.

Old age and underinflation are the devil when it comes to trailer tires. They get so old and stiff just sitting, but they still look pretty good. Get them hot, and POW.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
Pfish

If you are going to make the run down the Baja, I would suggest changing tires every 3 years to accommodate the hot roads. I have had many blowouts while driving. Tires looked good, but they blew when it got hot. Lesson learned......
Old 02-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:

Old age and underinflation are the devil when it comes to trailer tires. They get so old and stiff just sitting, but they still look pretty good. Get them hot, and POW.
You should see my current tires, they look like a bunch of small spider web cracks. Been towing my boat that way since I got it albeit 5 minutes to the ramp. Lol I think they are ready to pop!
Old 02-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #11
fussa
Christos

Quote:

Exactly! It blew out on the freeway. Luckily no other damage.
Both tires seem good but when u look closely , they had spider cracks. I just ordered two new ones.
fussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
WESTBURY

don't trailer tires have to have a stronger sidewall rating?

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:17 PM   #13
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTBURY View Post
don't trailer tires have to have a stronger sidewall rating?
some do. The difference between bias ply trailer tires and radials is one steel belt with 2 nylon belts is much stronger than a 5 ply nylon belt bias ply tire.
It's a good observation!! This is the reason why I recommended load range C tires; standard load P metrics can be very 'light' on durability, and since we are all such Aces towing trailers, tougher tires are a wise choice as we will routinely assault curbs and road hazards with the trailer which we would normally breeze right by without it.

BTW guys, #1 reason for trailer tire failures is under-inflation. Lower air pressures make the tire 'squish' and make stronger contact with the road, causing much more friction. This means heat. Then, the crusty old tires can't take the heat, they delaminate, show the cord, which tears and blows the inner rubber core which acts as the tube.

In a pinch; I will take a new, good condition P metric over my old heavy rated tire if it's full of cracks. But ONLY for the time necessary to get me home so I can work a Saturday and Sunday so I can afford a couple new tires.......
Old 02-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #14
Bob Ballew

In Baja, just as important, is a good expandable hydraulic jack and a stack of short 2x4's...it is tough to raise a trailer up when you are in a deep pothole or gully....or, god forbid, forced off the road into a ditch by one of those greyhound buses with a cow catcher on the front...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #15
HEX
Hector F.

So what I got from this is go with:

Load Range C Radials which I was already thinking of getting.

(Other source) take a grease gun and extra bearings

Take a few extra spare tires

Take an expandable hydraulic jack and 2x4's

I wanna add, take tire pressure gauge and a portable air compressor and a tool box with all the essential tools that you would need for taking rims off and bearings etc..

Good stuff guys I think I am set. I got more tips than I knew I needed and now feel good about traveling far. Feel free to add to the list. Thanks!

Last edited by HEX; 02-29-2016 at 03:23 PM.
HEX is offline   Reply With Quote