Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > The Southern Open State Championship 2006

The Southern Open State Championship 2006 Check here for threads about the Southern Open. Links to forms, info, etc.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
RichT

Smile Be a part of solution and make history

Most of you will remember about 3 years ago when a major study was released by a leading scientist proclaiming the Hogfish were "nearly extinct" and that we must immediately "raise the minimum size to 20 inches as well as reduce the bag limit to 1 per person"?

Well... that BS study was one of the driving forces behind the creation of the FRA.
Many of you, as well as founding members of the FRA and knowledgable scientists around the country turned that study into a pile of toilet paper!

The scary thing is... If we would have just ignored it and let "somebody else do it" or believed that the government would just "do the right thing", then I gaurantee you it would have happened.!

Since then... The St. Petersburg Underwater Club was able to commision a new study on the life history of the Hogfish.
This study is NOT a hogfish "count" but rather a study in how the hogfish lives, eats, and breeds.

You all have an opportunity to participate in the study this weekend!

There will be a biologist at the Southern Open weigh-in doing biological data collection of hogfish otoliths to determine age. She will also be doing stomach content and fertility analysis.
Many of you who participated in the Spearboard Open will remember this scientist who was doing the same thing.

This is REAL analysis data coming from REAL spearfisherman!
In addition to the otolith analysis, you can take it to the next level if you really want to give them some good information.

How?
Well... there will be ziplock bags available at the captains meeting for you to put the "guts" in after you "gut" your hogfish.

Ive been doing it awhile and its really not hard at all.
When you go to "gut the fish" you insert the knife into the fish's anal hole.
Not too deep, (no wisecracks!) and slice the belly cavity open to almost the throat. You can reach in and kind of peel the contents away from the sides. You might have to use your knife a little but try not to puncture any of the organs and such. Pull this pile of goop out and slice it as close to the throat as possible. Put it in a ziplock bag and then put the ziplock into the fish's mouth. You can also push the ziplock into the fish's mouth and through one of the gills for a really solid hold that wont slide out.
The scientist will weigh and measure your fish, cut out the otolith, and then take your ziplock bag and study the contents!

You and Your fish will have just become a part of this monumental 2 year study.

Last edited by RichTaylor; 06-22-2006 at 09:13 PM.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Be a part of solution and make history

Pretty cool shirt they were giving us at the SBO, too.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
transcendstime
Ocean Hitchhiker

Yeah I did this at the SBO expecting nothing in return but wanted to help out. After they cut the head open they handed me a nice new t-shirt. (Just an added bonus).

transcendstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

This Hogfish work seems to be very valuable to the FWC scientists. I interviewed Dr. Rich McBride last year after the St. Pete Open and they greatly appreciate our help. That is why I jumped at the opportunity to encourage that similar collection at the Spearboard Open. I realize the research may lead to future catch restrictions for the preservation of the species, but at least we can all take comfort that such decisions are based on science, not psuedo-science like that original Dr. Alt study.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-26-2006 at 07:39 AM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax
I realize the research may lead to future catch restrictions for the preservation of the species, but at least we can all take comfort that such decisions are based on science, not psuedo-science like that original Dr. Alt study.

Absolutely correct Tony!
Were no fools that believe that part of this research couldnt be used for census figures of hogfish at some future time, but as Ive explained to some doom and gloom guys... would you rather me and the rest of the SPUC's involved in this study provide the research or would you rather have scientists like Dr. Ault and his disciples do it?
Because I gauran dam tee you it was going to be done by somebody!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTaylor
Because I gauran dam tee you it was going to be done by somebody!
Yes, but don't forget: We are blaming you guys.
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
RichT

Might as well. I/we get blamed for everything else that goes wrong.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

Tony- The key to good management decisions is good scientific understanding of a species. There was very little scientific understanding used in Ault's study. Ault simply created his own science to wuit his predetermined needs of declarting another fish as "overfished", which seeems to be Ault's specialty. And why not, as research money goes to those who proclaim that their subject's "situation" is dire.
We have already made some significant findings on the hogfish's life cycles and age/growth information.
We also have the first ever video of hogfish engaging in spawning behavior.
Not too bad for a bunch of blood thirsty killers.

Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore spearfishers and anglers. Join us!
http://www.thefra.org

Check out OFFSHORE HUNTER
Waypoint management software for the serious spearfisher.
Got numbers?
http://www.offshorehunter.com
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #9
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Denny, what does the spawning behavior look like? I have tons of video from my personal collection.

You and Rich are right (I think) in that helping FWC is the best way to go. They have a tough job with so many interest groups to deal with. The best science should have a top position in all the factors that go into resource management.

John, shit happens to us that we don't like such as that Ault study. But, if we do nothing in response or do nothing to engage the process, who do we really have to blame? You guys did take action with FRA and now have significant input into the process. Thanks for that foresight that benefits all of us who were not around back then!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote