Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #31
Kooker19

Re: Cat vs Monohull boats

I too was waiting on Miles to chime in. Glad you did. Nice boat once again.
Kooker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #32
Catalyst
Formerly Twin-or-Lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdiver View Post
Is your boat a planing, displacement or semi displacement hull? From the picture, it looks like planing.
Sorry I didn't see this question earlier. It is a planing hull. I just picked it up from my brothers to take out this weekend. I forgot how light and easy the 22' tows. I have been towing the 26' around and there is definitely a noticeable difference.
I can honestly say I have never loaded the boat with 1000 lbs. of tuna. I did catch a couple Blackfins one day and have loaded the cooler full of snapper and grouper a few times.
We'll be fishing out Lake Worth inlet this weekend if anybody wants to check the boat out.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #33
miles

Send a message via MSN to miles

Just to illustrate HOW complicated buy the right boat can be:

My dive buddy, Tommy, has a 21' Mako semi-rigid monohull powered by 2x50hp 4stroke yamaha's. This is undoubtedly THE best mono-hull i've been on. Gives a very soft ride, is BONE DRY, in ANY sea and can carry a huge weight.

Twin-or-Lose, we're very fortunate to have an AWESOME tuna fishery right on our doorstep!! Our fish average 120-150lb's, so 1000lb's is merely 7 fish!! Check the picture below, 11 Yellowfin at an average of 140lb's, 1500lb's of tuna on a 21' semi rigid The boat can carry more weight, but simply no more place to put fish!! The below deck fish hatch's are already full
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good haul.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	74485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	74486  
miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #34
Catalyst
Formerly Twin-or-Lose

I would be afraid to capsize or sink. Then you would be in the water with 1500lbs of dead bleeding fish and the "big" fish that like to eat 150 pound yellowfins.
Just joking, those are awesome pics.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #35
straycat
straycat

I have a renaissance prowler 246 cat for sale , call me for details.
Rick 772-388-8782
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #36
fishblood

SEA TOW/BOAT US/ FLORIDA MARINE PATROLS use CATS. They use them for a reason, because they are the safest, strongest boats made. They can tow, they can get you back in high seas. They ride like you are floating on air. I have a CAT, the reason I have a CAT is because I have been in v-hulls that beat your back and legs up. Every wave slams you in a v-hull. Yes you can get a bigger v-hull and not get the slaming. But you but a 25 foot cat next to a 25 foot v-hull, with say twin 225. The cat will eat the v-hull up. If you put a 30 foot cat next to a 30 foot v-hull, the cat will eat it up. They say that a cat is equal to a v-hull that is 3 FEET LONGER then the cat. Example if you have a 25 foot CAT you need a 28 foot v-hull to equal it (the ride etc). I have a 22 foot cat with 170 gallons of fuel twin 115 and it is like a 22 foot v-hull on steriods. I was going to get a 25 foot grady white with twin 225(because that would have been the equal to my boat). But I did not because it would cost me 25% to 50% more to run it. If you are broken down in the middle grounds a yellow CAT will come to tow you home. Yes big v-hull are nice but the fuel bills are not nice.
fishblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #37
randman
Out on the water

Thought I would chime in since this seems to be a hot topic. I own a 22' ProKat walkaround. I live in Guam, where a sizable chunk of the year, the seas are pretty rough; it is also when all the wahoo and mahi show up. We often go out fishing (Nov-Apr) in combined seas between 4-6ft. I also spent my first year here fishing on a 24' World Cat. We do a lot of trolling and spearing from my boat.

In general, cats behave very differently from monohulls. They don't lean into a turn as much as a monohull; in fact, some dip into turns. This can be a little unsettling to a first timer on a cat. You have to pay attention more when running in a beam sea, or trolling in a following sea; others have already mentioned the tendency to veer hard to one side when one sponson bites in and the other doesn't. You need to brief first timers on a cat before you head out.

Here is my short list of pros and cons.

The good:

-Fuel economy
-2 motors
-gentle ride in rough seas
-ease of entry/exit from the water
-lots of deck space considering the length

The bad:

-A little squirrely in following seas; requires a little more attention than a monohull
-Are challenging to maneuver/trailer at slow speeds with only one engine; trust me, you will have to do this at some point!
-don't handle like a monohull (this is an issue for newcomers to cats)

All boats, monohull or cat will flip in rough seas with improper piloting; experience and knowing how your boat handles are key regarding this matter.

I like my cat and have no regrets about purchasing it. Whatever decision your make, enjoy your boat and be safe.

Regards,

Randy
randman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #38
Teh Wicked

I been seriously reseraching this subject recently and gots lots of good info out of this thread.

My points of view are limited but I will share.

The only Cat I have ever rode in was Charles Domson's 32' World Cat(Spearing Magazine). That is by FAR te best riding, dryest, weight holding boat I have ever rode in.

From a monohull stand point I have rode in John's 31' Fountain, Killentime's 40' Dorado, a 36' Sportfish out of Cape Cod for tuna Fishing, 24' Chris Craft(safety Spear), 23Dusky's 23' Dusky W/A, Spear One's old ride the Double vision which is a 32' Newton I believe, Biggsy's 28' Mako, potshot's 22' Angler, Dennis' 30' Pro Sports (Spear Addict), and im sure many other rides that I cant remember off hand.

Out of the nice boats I have been graced enough to ride in. The Mako, Fountain and Chris Craft were all a step above the rest in ride quality. THe roughest we ever got in was the 24' Christ Craft out of clearwater for the Southern Open. We had solid 5' swells roll in on us during a dive and that boat handled it like a champion. But the bext ride of course was the 32' Newton with her roomy 13' Beam, she is in a class of her own for overnight comfort.

But by far the best fun day of spearing I have ever had was on the 32' World Cat owned by Charlie. Not to mention he is a good friend of mine and just loves to get out and dive. I guess next to that would be a toss up between the Pro sports, Mako and Fountain. I was only in a solid 3' chop i the Mako and it handled it nicely. The Fountain and Pro sports all had beautiful days on the water, SO I couldnt say much about them. But I have heard of John in some serious 6+' seas in the fountain and he is still around killin fish with the rest of us.

After all that Im seriously looking at the 22' leader Cat in the boats for sale section. If that boat is still available in January Im going to try my bext to buy it.
Teh Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #39
UFG8R

Take my opinion for what it's worth. I've always been a die hard mono guy, trash talked cats primarily for being ugly and gave my bud a hard time when he recently brought home a late model 27 World Cat. I didn't like the boat until spending significant time on it.

It's now the only boat we will take diving. And a cat is the only boat I will buy next. I only wish there were more options. I probably would not own a cat less than 26-27 feet. IMO, you don't get the real benefit of what they have to offer until this size range.
UFG8R is offline   Reply With Quote