Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Re: Help me understand the logic...

okay, here is the logic....do you like delicious fish? do you enjoy a fish that is in healthy numbers so almost unlimited take will not affect the environment? do you enjoy the fun of shooting fish that fight?

if you answered yes to any of these questions then you, sir, should be shooting cuda.

the slime on the skin smells like fart metal, beyond that it is the whitest, easiest to clean fish in the ocean. I wont eat them bigger than 30" and that is a very conservative number to avoid any cig toxin.

to be 100% blunt, if you have never had one why would you question how good they are? does urchin look tasty on the outside? is abalone something you eat right out of the shell?

I have also had taste tests but I told the eater that one was mangrove snapper, one was black grouper and one was cuda....then I told them which was which and they all loved the cuda and went there first for seconds.....

as far as I am concerned, please never shoot a cuda and never eat one either
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #32
EastFlorida
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post
okay, here is the logic....do you like delicious fish? do you enjoy a fish that is in healthy numbers so almost unlimited take will not affect the environment? do you enjoy the fun of shooting fish that fight?

if you answered yes to any of these questions then you, sir, should be shooting cuda.

the slime on the skin smells like fart metal, beyond that it is the whitest, easiest to clean fish in the ocean. I wont eat them bigger than 30" and that is a very conservative number to avoid any cig toxin.

to be 100% blunt, if you have never had one why would you question how good they are? does urchin look tasty on the outside? is abalone something you eat right out of the shell?

I have also had taste tests but I told the eater that one was mangrove snapper, one was black grouper and one was cuda....then I told them which was which and they all loved the cuda and went there first for seconds.....

Great post, thank you! I guess I'll give it a shot and report back.... How do you prepare your cuda? I'm a big fried fish fan (to the dismay of many)
EastFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #33
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post

Fart metal??? Im not sure what that is but it made me laugh!!!

Lucky Jack - .......The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seaboat: weatherly, stiff and fast, very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.
Waiting2Exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #34
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlorida View Post
Great post, thank you! I guess I'll give it a shot and report back.... How do you prepare your cuda? I'm a big fried fish fan (to the dismay of many)
You’re not that far from me, shoot me a PM and we can talk.
But HONESTLY, if you aren’t eating Cuda, you’re missing out!
At almost 50 years of age you should know better than bowing to pre-conceived notions.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #35
EastFlorida
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
You’re not that far from me, shoot me a PM and we can talk.
But HONESTLY, if you aren’t eating Cuda, you’re missing out!
At almost 50 years of age you should know better than bowing to pre-conceived notions.
You're exactly right!! I try to teach my sons to have an open mind, so here I go, I'll give it a shot

I'll pop you a PM...
EastFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #36
Hank49

He said fart metal.....
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #37
Marco

Barracuda is great eating.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #38
Castronova
The Conch Republic

I've read this thread a few times... to the point I've almost considered its message... I imagined grabbing a piece off of my stove all delicious and seasoned... dripping with lemon and lime... AND THEN BAM!!! that smell comes back to me and I throw up in my garbage can next to my desk!

Sorry... I eat the strangest, most outlandish shit at Sushi restaurants and order the most off the wall items from just about anywhere but the only way i'm eating a Barracuda is if I'm fooled into it and didn't have to smell it on the boat I was on.

Chummed two last Saturday after shooting them and just making a cloud of "Hell Yes" in the water and fish came by the thousands... so I'm glad they are there so long as my mask is covering my nose.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #39
ardiciovg

I have eaten the hell out of some Cuda when i was in Guantanamo Bay they have flaky white meat tasty as shit obviously never really nything over 3 feet long but there was no history of Cig poisoning there so i felt more comfortable all depends where u r.
ardiciovg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #40
jfjf

Only shoot little ones..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jimcudas.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	174059  
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #41
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
I've read this thread a few times... to the point I've almost considered its message... I imagined grabbing a piece off of my stove all delicious and seasoned... dripping with lemon and lime... AND THEN BAM!!! that smell comes back to me and I throw up in my garbage can next to my desk!

Sorry... I eat the strangest, most outlandish shit at Sushi restaurants and order the most off the wall items from just about anywhere but the only way i'm eating a Barracuda is if I'm fooled into it and didn't have to smell it on the boat I was on.

Chummed two last Saturday after shooting them and just making a cloud of "Hell Yes" in the water and fish came by the thousands... so I'm glad they are there so long as my mask is covering my nose.
YES!!!!! So many good one-liners I dont know where to start!!!! Gotta go with "a big cloud of Hell yes!!". Awesome......

Lucky Jack - .......The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seaboat: weatherly, stiff and fast, very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.
Waiting2Exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #42
mishu1984

THey smell like a demon's asshole but boy do the taste good.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #43
Super Squid

Like many have said... Cuda is awesome fish... Lot's of meat, and very easy to clean. Anything under 30"-ish is going home with me...
Super Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #44
AlexbeeintheUK

Cuda's are damn good eating! I am probably the only guy on this forum who is actually VERY picky when it comes to what fish i eat. My whole life i have hated the smell of fish (and still do to a degree) including my 5 years spent Carp fishing in England. I had my first cuda a couple months back from a local vendor with some sauce and fries and it is a very nice piece of fish. I would say that its kinda like a fish steak, not tough but it certainly has that 'meaty' element to it like Marlin.
To be fair, my favorite fish has to be Nurse Shark followed by Flying Fish then Blue Marlin, then leading to things like Yellowfin Tuna, Cuda, Red Snapper and Mahi Mahi.

It depends where you shoot but most are fine to eat (ones in Egypt can be poisonous) but cut off the head and tail, wrap in foil and chuck on a BBQ. Once cooked i like to just put it on the BBQ grill for a minute to give it that BBQ smokey flavor and then you are good to go - maybe some fresh lime too....
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #45
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post

The skin is what's smelly (when raw). If you fillet and skin it, you will find one of the best eating fish there are. And no smell whatsoever.

Sometimes it pays to open your mind.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote