Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

View Poll Results: Gat-ku or Keller Aquatics?
Gat-ku 59 79.73%
Keller Aquatics 15 20.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Crissay53

Gat-ku or Keller Aquatics?

So I just put a post out a few days ago and you guys really helped me out so now I'm choosing between just two the 8' Gat-ku or the 8' "killer" Keller Aquatics. What do you guys think? Any up sides/downsides to either? I will be using it in mostly Bimini shooting snapper and hogs, and occasional grouper.
Crissay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Re: Gat-ku or Keller Aquatics?

The Keller spear is more built for grouper primarily and it will hammer any other fish over 5lbs like a boss. If you target mostly average hogs and snapper that don't pose a huge breakage risk then a Gatku or headhunter is a great choice.

If you have the itch to plug one of the big grouper or like to shoot into holes where fish are hiding them I would suggest the Keller because it can take a beating and still dish one out too!

I enjoy my 8 ft Keller because it isn't as huge as my 10dt spears and it still can smack a fish hard and handle both medium and large fish.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Ryanfish

Headhunter is the way to go for everything except monster grouper.
Ryanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Crissay53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLIAN View Post
The Keller spear is more built for grouper primarily and it will hammer any other fish over 5lbs like a boss. If you target mostly average hogs and snapper that don't pose a huge breakage risk then a Gatku or headhunter is a great choice.

If you have the itch to plug one of the big grouper or like to shoot into holes where fish are hiding them I would suggest the Keller because it can take a beating and still dish one out too!

I enjoy my 8 ft Keller because it isn't as huge as my 10dt spears and it still can smack a fish hard and handle both medium and large fish.
This really helps because i DO shoot into lots of holes and thats one of the things i wondering because i know the gat-ku is alot thinner.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Ryfish

That 8ft Keller is quick and can take a beating. If you hunt in holes a heavy duty spear is the way to go.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
anthropisces

Bottom fish are very hard on equipment. Get the toughest spear that meets your other criteria that you can find.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Ryanfish
"Headhunter is the way to go for everything except monster grouper"

I would like to add that the headhunter is an exceptional spear and I own two of them. I would say this tho, for a Spearo with a great breath and good shot placement skills the HH can kill anything that swims.
BUT
If your like me and put your fins on 1 at a time and often don't hit the stone spot on a med-large fish the spear is susceptible to some damage. For fast moving snapper that dart in and out of the rocks and are under several pounds I find the HH has more speed and a very easy band to draw and hold back. Those bigger fish require a bit more THUMP to slow them down and injure them enough to be landed. The KELLER spear is built JUST FOR THIS SCENARIO.

you peer under a ledge and spot a cubera or BIG black facing away and he doesn't see you and run........ Do you shoot it with your carbon spear and pray it doesn't snap when he goes apeshit crazy? Or do you hit it with the Keller and maybe worst case scenario fix a bend in your aluminum spear after you put the grouper in the cooler.

BIG FISH TEST GEAR AND PATIENCE.....
Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Polespearo
Waterman

i had a gatku and now i use a crust (which i understand is very similar to the keller) Don't worry about which, take a breath, choose one and you will be more than fine, like everyone mentioned before, they are different and for different purposes, so you will learn how to spear with them and learn the lessons, you get the gatku you will become a Ninja, you get the keller, you will be the barbarian!
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Crissay53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polespearo View Post
i had a gatku and now i use a crust (which i understand is very similar to the keller) Don't worry about which, take a breath, choose one and you will be more than fine, like everyone mentioned before, they are different and for different purposes, so you will learn how to spear with them and learn the lessons, you get the gatku you will become a Ninja, you get the keller, you will be the barbarian!
hahah love this that seems like a pretty good way to describe it... I was looking at a crist and the found out keller aquatics are so similar just a few bucks cheaper
Old 12-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
Ctglax83
Cole

The crist, keller, gatku, and headhunter are all great polespears a but like everyone has said above. The crist and keller are good for some fish while the headhunter and gatku are good for others. I shoot a crist and personally prefer it over the keller just because you can get a threaded shaft and use a mori slip tip on the crist which I like better than the keller slip tip but you can't go wrong with either. If decide to go with a thinner polespear I would also look into sea stinger.
Ctglax83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #11
mishu1984

I havent tried the Keller, so i cant really give any input into those. However, the Gat-Ku is amazingly fast. A few cudas and queenfish will tell you that. The new slip tip is a big improvement over the old one with its increased diameter.

You hav to find what works for you.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Ctglax83
Cole

Scratch that, keller does make a threaded shaft. Like I said though, you any go wrong with a keller or a crist.
Ctglax83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Keller Aquatics
Official Sponsor

Cole, We do make a threaded shaft but have little demand for them. Not many people can afford to buy a $100 Mori Slip tip for their pole spear then shoot it into the rocks. The Mori adapter is thin and can be damaged being pulled through the rocks. My slip tip is designed for pole spears and is more robust to handle the rocks. In addition to our spears being tough, they are fast, and have a very long effective shooting range.

chrissay53, All of the above spears are good spears and will serve you well.

KELLER AQUATICS
Big Game Pole Spears/ Custom Knives

BAHAMA PRO SPEARFISHING

DON'T SHOOT A WIMPY SPEAR!!
aquatics@kellerbizz.com

http://kelleraquatics.com

561-927-6400

Keller Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Bubbafishing
You scared? Get a dog.

I own and use a Keller Aquatics. It is fantastic. No issues. Great price. Fantastic customer service. Want me to go on..?
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly… who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause." ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Bubbafishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #15
Apneaddict

I have a Puig and had Aaron Crist make me up some custom shafts, both threaded and otherwise and am VERY happy with the level of customization / tailoring that Aaron offers.

Great guy to do business with!

A unique take on Freediving and Apnea:
http://apneaddict.blogspot.com/
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote