Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

I treated myself to a new Pathos 125 Sniper this Christmas....the gun from the factory is an amazing setup. However, there is no way I can leave this gun alone. Follow this thread, to see the complete and total transformation of a 125cm enclosed track Pathos Sniper.

Curent Setup...

18mm bands
7mm spear
black n boring
standard handle

I am going to get a full baseline of this gun as it shoots from the box and then do about 10-12 different modifications across the entire platform to see just how good I can make it preform. For those that love to tinker with their guns, this is the build for you.

Sorry for the craptastic photos right now. I will be sure to get better ones later.

Last edited by kwtony; 12-18-2016 at 05:50 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

We are looking at 54.5 inches of band stretch on the closest tab 138.8 cm
and 52 or 132cm on this 125 Pathos Sniper

60 inches long or 152cm...

7mm Pathos spear @63 inches long

And 67mm distance between the trigger and the back of the handle

Bands come in stock at 35 inches....according to my calculations this is set standard at 300% ratio...

Last edited by kwtony; 12-18-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

18mm standard bands ditched already....in comes the 14mm small id bands I love Oooooooh so much. These are bought from Uncle Petros at Spearamerica.com

I also like these beads for these bands as well. One red, one black. That way I know which one is which and dont have to think about which band I grab.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Nice when Xmas comes early and Santa knows you so well, he gets the presents right:-)

Looking forward to this build.
A few quick questions if you don't mind, Tony.
Is the line release a tad longer now? Or maybe it just looks it in the pics.
I have the same bands and inserts - do you guys use silicone with them or just tie them as is?
And then I have been wondering about the D'Angelo 3 handle and how it would look, but maybe this is the one. A D'Angelo 2 handle but with a shape to fit the more elliptical shape of the barrel?
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #5
spearq8

I bought the same gun this summer along with the new Abellan 120 and Albacore 130. Have yet to get them in water as is cold.

Things that disappointed me with the Pathos Sniper that probably need modding

1. The ballast has that Pathos name on that is a PIA when loading bands as your knuckles feel like they are being dragged over asphalt when loading.
2. The trigger ... what are they thinking ... it is very soft 316 SS and the thickness looks even thinner than before ??!!! On a 125 gun with 2 x 14.5mm bands that will last like 3 shots before it is destroyed!
3. No side line release !!! I thought that Pathos worked something out for that!
4. Top pin line release toooooo long ... that will snag mono unless it is 400lb or more. That means horrible accuracy as the line will pull the shaft around.
5. ET ... I checked my shaft and it was 6.75mm ... I put in a 7mm shaft but it did not slide easily ... my guess is that going with a 7mm shaft might hurt performance. But then again with a 6.75mm shaft you are limited to 4m to 5m range.
6. The butt bad ... no imagination ... copy and paste ... surely they can come up with a nicer butt pad that keeps nice lines and is functional with a super clean sight picture !!!

Improvemnts:

1. Handle is much better fitting and should be easily modded ... I think it is the D'Angelo 3 handle.
2. Shape of gun looks cool and seems well designed
3. One of the highest handles ... keeps muzzle stable and allows flat shots without having to add mass
4. Huuuuge band stretch. With that type of band stretch the gun needs to be setup with an 8mm shaft to soak up all that band stretch ... 2 x 14.5mm bands should rival performance of OB 125 with 3 x 14.5mm
5. Price ... it is on sale locally for around $230 !!!

My plan on how I was about to improve the gun after testing default setup

1. Throw away the thick bands and put in 14mm or 14.5mm small ID bands
2. Put in a new trigger with thicker and harder sears with side line release
3. Get rid of the ET and lay a nice open track to "free" the gun ... will need to figure a way to put a front line guide as it does not exist with the ET
4. Smooth out the ballast shape to save knuckles
5. Re-shape handle

Will be interesting to see what you come up with!

Last edited by spearq8; 12-19-2016 at 02:32 AM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I already have a list of all the fun things that are going to be done to this gun. Colors, combos, balast grind, band setups blah blah. I will do a detailed write up on each one.

Initially I had wanted to keep this ET and just open the track enough to take a 7.5 mm spears. I might end up making it an open track depending on how things progress. In theory, one could use the second wrap of line to hold the spear down. Kyle Porker said that when he shot this gun with a single wrap, it broke the mono. So...

The trigger also has me worried, I was looking at it the minuet I got it and was not really impressed. I will take the parts from my 130 and see if they fit. If so ill order one in the morning. I already have another list for Uncle Petros...

Last edited by kwtony; 12-19-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Last edited by kwtony; 12-19-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

Update. Shot the gun in stock form. I really love the way these bands lay on top of the entire gun. Seriously, this is very impressive. Now we have that outta the way....

Recoil was too much, didnt like the thicker bands. It shot pretty well and is an instant killer out of the box....since everything I do is COMPLETELY out of the box, lets go ahead and get this party started.....

Last edited by kwtony; 12-19-2016 at 02:31 PM. Reason: titty sprinkles
Old 12-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Time for the first round of mods...

1: Shaft cone install...

Basically mix up 2 part epoxy, some very fine sand and twist the cone down over the spear. Lift flopper up and set the cone just a hair above the flopper. Dont worry about the excess epoxy getting everywhere. All you have to do is let it dry and then you can easily peel it right off the flopper. Just jiggle it about 15 times and itll all come out.

Last edited by kwtony; 12-19-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
kwtony
Snorkel Master

2: 14mm small id bands @ 31 & 28 inches
Old 12-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I bought the same gun this summer along with the new Abellan 120 and Albacore 130. Have yet to get them in water as is cold.

Things that disappointed me with the Pathos Sniper that probably need modding

1. The ballast has that Pathos name on that is a PIA when loading bands as your knuckles feel like they are being dragged over asphalt when loading.
2. The trigger ... what are they thinking ... it is very soft 316 SS and the thickness looks even thinner than before ??!!! On a 125 gun with 2 x 14.5mm bands that will last like 3 shots before it is destroyed!
3. No side line release !!! I thought that Pathos worked something out for that!
4. Top pin line release toooooo long ... that will snag mono unless it is 400lb or more. That means horrible accuracy as the line will pull the shaft around.
5. ET ... I checked my shaft and it was 6.75mm ... I put in a 7mm shaft but it did not slide easily ... my guess is that going with a 7mm shaft might hurt performance. But then again with a 6.75mm shaft you are limited to 4m to 5m range.
6. The butt bad ... no imagination ... copy and paste ... surely they can come up with a nicer butt pad that keeps nice lines and is functional with a super clean sight picture !!!

Improvemnts:

1. Handle is much better fitting and should be easily modded ... I think it is the D'Angelo 3 handle.
2. Shape of gun looks cool and seems well designed
3. One of the highest handles ... keeps muzzle stable and allows flat shots without having to add mass
4. Huuuuge band stretch. With that type of band stretch the gun needs to be setup with an 8mm shaft to soak up all that band stretch ... 2 x 14.5mm bands should rival performance of OB 125 with 3 x 14.5mm
5. Price ... it is on sale locally for around $230 !!!

My plan on how I was about to improve the gun after testing default setup

1. Throw away the thick bands and put in 14mm or 14.5mm small ID bands
2. Put in a new trigger with thicker and harder sears with side line release
3. Get rid of the ET and lay a nice open track to "free" the gun ... will need to figure a way to put a front line guide as it does not exist with the ET
4. Smooth out the ballast shape to save knuckles
5. Re-shape handle

Will be interesting to see what you come up with!
why dont you start to learn and improve yr poor spearing way before to bla bla bla ?
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I removed the handle, and plan on either putting an Aussie Reel on this or leaving it as a float line only gun.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #13
kwtony
Snorkel Master

3: Custom Grip....

I wanted this to be my best handle/gun paint job yet. So i mixed up some white with a little bit of silver to give it a marble/pearl look...

In order to do this mix, i figured that you have to mix you main color first, then a small batch of your secondary and then heat it all back up. Use the least amount of pressing it takes to just mix it up a little bit then stop.

Once I got it exactly as I wanted it, I then kept pouring the hot water over it and kept smoothing it out. After about 5 minuets, it is literally my favorite handle next to my pathos 130...which is unbelievably perfect.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #14
kwtony
Snorkel Master

4: Smooth EVERYTHING down.

I am going to finish this gun to make it look like it came off the showroom floor. So this means I took a razor blade to any burr on the gun and also took 120 grit followed by 240 on the belly of the gun to remove the embossing on it. Its 100000000x times better now. After ONE load, your fingers are raw and numb. Now I cant even tell

I plan on going over the entire gun with either 5200 or some other filler and will fill in the seams and gaps on this gun to make it look like its part of the gun and not just glued on.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #15
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Apparently the gun comes standard with a 6.75 as my 7mm spear was binding slightly. Im going to get ball die and slightly tap it open to accept a 7.5.

Hard to see the Rob Allen Wire Fin spear here. But these work great here. Sadly they do loose out on the some of the band stretch, so I will have to fix this with something different.