Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-02-2017, 04:27 AM   #1
doyenofcastle

Cracks in stock

I have faced this kind of problems during previous work with opepe wood so I decide to leave padouk for a year and now I just trim the stock and left small piece in roof direct contact with sun and 30 celius the tempreture ,after 3 days long crack and transverse cracks as in pictures ,i have left an iroko before for long time and never found any cracks ,should I make new blank or this experiment not accurate and stock can be use ? BTW In the middle teak slice

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 AM   #2
Dr.P

Re: Cracks in stock

The cracks happen on the end of the padauk boards during the drying process. Guessing those boards are probably not fully dry yet. When they are stable, you can cut the checked ends off. I notice they usually run 6-10".
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
The cracks happen on the end of the padauk boards during the drying process. Guessing those boards are probably not fully dry yet. When they are stable, you can cut the checked ends off. I notice they usually run 6-10".
In my mind now two route ,to finish stock and seal it very well and never keep it in direct sun contact during storing ,or leave it after shaping for another 6 months but drying will cause moving and it may cracks ,I remember when I bought it from lumber yard I laminate 13 mm each , keep it for 2 month in covered open store check the density\weight almost (700-760) ,is their any other route ?
padouk is hard wood and lamination without fully drying is a headache
Old 10-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Grizzlestomp

It takes exotic hardwood a long time to fully dry. And they must dry properly, i.e. not at an accelerated rate in direct sunlight.

I would recommend using only kiln dried wood, largely eliminates that problem. If kiln dried wood is available, even at an extra cost, it is definitely worth the price.
Grizzlestomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
doyenofcastle

i know about the KD process all my wood is KD except that padouk ,lumber owner told me just laminate it and leave for a month inside your store then glue it , long time left after I glued and now I want to take decision
Old 10-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
Grizzlestomp

Odds are it will be ok after you cut the checked ends off.

However, considering how much time building a speargun takes, I personally would rather laminate a new blank then risk having some imperceptible imperfection fail or warp or delaminate after investing so much time.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
Grizzlestomp

Also, if the ends of the blank were moist enough to crack that badly from the sun, odds are the wood in the middle of the blank is also retaining a decent amount of moisture. Reaction with heat over time could potentially cause it to warp.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #8
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
i know about the KD process all my wood is KD except that padouk ,lumber owner told me just laminate it and leave for a month inside your store then glue it , long time left after I glued and now I want to take decision
....yeaaahhh that's not gonna do it.

I would be wary of that blank, probably has a lot of movement left in it.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
doyenofcastle

I ll leave them for another 6 months

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk