Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 08-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
IamAquaMan
Spear Happy

Visiting Washington, free dive buddies and tips needed.

I am visiting Washington from September 18th thru October 14th. I will be staying in the Port Townsend/Marrow Stone area. I have completed the beginner freediving course and I am certified with PFI. I am taking the intermediate coarse September 7th so I will have that done before I get there. I'm looking to safely dive with some locals. I was planning on diving for dungenous crab and urchin as well as spearfishing or anything else that's fun. I did some digging and to me it does not appear you are legally aloud to spear in the Puget Sound but can shellfish here. I have heard Neah Bay is the place to go for spearing. I am more than willing to split travel and any boat expenses as well as any catch. I just get so confused by Washingtons regulations on spearing and shell fishing. I would much prefer going with someone familiar with the regs and area. I have also never dove this water temperature. I am not to sure what wetsuit to go with. I am from Florida and never wear a wetsuit because I literally sweat in a 2mm suit in the winter. I dive the springs occasionally and that's around low 70's and I still don't use a suit. It seems that everyone says you need a 7mm suit or 4mm drysuit. I understand 72 degrees isn't 50 degrees but 7mm seems excessive to me but what do I know. Thanks in advance for any advice and I hope to find some dive buddies.

IamAquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #2
Darmes
Dan

Re: Visiting Washington, free dive buddies and tips needed.

Hey Man! Let me know if you venture farther south on your trip. I'm down in Oregon and agree about Washington's regs. Most people do dive with a 7mm suit out here. I'm one of the crazies that has worn a 5mm year round for the last couple years. I might change my ways this coming winter though... 48 felt pretty cold when I jumped in for a July spear trip.

I've got a freediving shop in Oregon City so if any gear issues come up while your over here just let me know.
@the_oregon_freedive_co
oregonfreediving.com
freediveoregon@gmail.com
Darmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:37 AM   #3
Ryanfish

Hey bud I was in Neah bay last week. Very very cool place. Lots of eagles flying around the Indian culture is pretty cool too. We camped at HoBuck for 20 bucks a night. The jetty is supposed to be a good shore dive. Conditions were beautiful I just had no motivation to shoot another long cod so went hiking instead. Regs aren't that complicated for fish in that area 4. 2 lings and some combination of 10 greenling cabezon and blue and black rockfish. It's specific as to how many of each but not hard to find. Port Townsend is cool. Great pizza at waterfront pizza. There's a Facebook page for spearfisherman up there called "spearboard -Pacific Northwest region" definitely need a 7mm.
Ryanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
IamAquaMan
Spear Happy

Thanks for the info Ryan it is much appreciated, I was hoping I could get away with a 5mm open cell suit but I guess 7mm is the norm. Yea Neah Bay seems a little more straight forward with the regs, I was also reading that spearing in the Straights and the San Juan islands is also aloud. And thank you Darmes for the offer and info, unfortunately I do not believe I will be traveling in that direction but you never know, if things change I'll shout out to ya. Thanks guys.

IamAquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
juanacity
John

You can definitely get by with a 5mm but 7 is best for a dedicated, year round Washington suit. If you run hot you can even get by with less, but just know you won't last very long.

Washington regs are restricted and tough to understand. Get a copy in paper form and look at the bottom fish section for any where you might want to dive.

Crab is closed now for Puget Sound and the Straight, but might open again on October 1. Check here for updates:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/crab/

Pretty much every where is open to spear for perch, greenling and flounder. Little fish but they taste fine and are something to pursue while underwater if you really want to get wet and check out a new environment.

Some people ignore these reports, but look here for shellfish biotoxin updates:
https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/eh/maps/.../biotoxin.html

Have fun, PNW diving is really great if conditions allow even if you can't spear lots of big fish.
juanacity is offline   Reply With Quote