Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-20-2019, 03:33 AM   #166
spearq8

Re: Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
@spearq8
Based on your experience with this gun do you think the placement of the mono would affect performance or accuracy?

Usually I always rig my mono on the shark fin but most of my Mediterranean spearfishing buddies rig it true the hole in the shaft.

The mono enters the mechanism along with the shaft. I don’t think it will have in effort on the DR but I will try to squeeze every bit of performance out of the setup.

The best position to tie mono for accuracy is at the rest tab or a doghouse if you have one. This seems to stabilize the shaft somehow and you get better shaft flight. Of course if accuracy is not a big concern and you are mostly shooting fish in holes at close range, then obviously it would be better to tie the shaft all the way at the back so that you can retrieve your shaft much easier. I guess you need to see what type of fishing you do and then decide how you want to tie your line. I always tie my line up front as I figure even if a fish is in a hole I am shooting from close range and should be able to stone it and thus don't have to worry about it going crazy in the hole. I think if you get used to very high accuracy from your speargun it really is very difficult to compromise on that as the way you spearfish completely changes. You no longer are aiming center of fish but rather at a certain point on a fish.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #167
kodama

Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

Thanks for your reply. What you are saying makes sense and is what I already do.
However I wasn't entirely clear with my question.
Since I am planning to use the Ghost shafts I was wondering where I would attach the mono on this particular shaft?
The shaft has pins instead of fins and there are two holes drilled true the shaft. I am still leaning towards the front hole since I prefer not too put the mono into the mechanism. Also take into account that I won't be using this gun for hole hunting and if I do decide to shoot that big grouper in his hole I will either keep a good distance or take a band off if I have that option.
Iam just wondering since you have specific experience with this shaft and gun it would be good to know what yields the most accurate setup for this Dentex-Slayer to be.

How nice of them to polish the holes so you don't end up with frayed mono after a day or two!

Last edited by kodama; 05-20-2019 at 10:48 AM.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:16 AM   #168
Mikel_24

Quote:
....for this Dentex-Slayer to be...
If you plan on shooting dentex with this gun, by no doubt attach the mono to the second hole. You will avoid putting the mono inside the mech and if you push the shaft all the way through the fish the whole shaft will behave like a slip tip.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:36 AM   #169
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
If you plan on shooting dentex with this gun, by no doubt attach the mono to the second hole. You will avoid putting the mono inside the mech and if you push the shaft all the way through the fish the whole shaft will behave like a slip tip.

Mikel
Hi Mikel,
Thanx for the advice. That is indeed usually what I do but my question is specifically related to accuracy.
Spearq8 has experience with this shaft on this particular gun and setup hence my question.
In the end I am not going to overthink it and probably just attach it to the second hole since that is what I am used to unless there is a specific reason why I would place it at the end.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #170
fredfoes

Quote:
Hi Mikel,
Thanx for the advice. That is indeed usually what I do but my question is specifically related to accuracy.
Spearq8 has experience with this shaft on this particular gun and setup hence my question.
In the end I am not going to overthink it and probably just attach it to the second hole since that is what I am used to unless there is a specific reason why I would place it at the end.

you never shoot at a hole ?
fredfoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #171
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfoes View Post
you never shoot at a hole ?

Of course I go hole hunting but then I usually use a 75 or 82 gun. When I am using larger spearguns like this I am targeting reef fish that swim freely.
If I do encounter a good opportunity on a fish in a hole I will adjust the distance from which I shoot.m or take a band off if possible or adjust the angle so I don’t hit the rock behind the fish full on.

In general I am either hole hunting or hunting the reef and try to use an appropriate sized gun for the situation.

The size of speargun is also related to visibility but I am sure you all knew that.

Actually I love hole hunting and usually resort to it if the spearfishing session hasn’t been as productive as I hoped.

The point is that I don’t think this shaft Ghost is designed for hole hunting. It would bend rather easily in the flopper area.

Last edited by kodama; 05-22-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #172
kodama

I drilled new holes for the trigger retaining pins but realized that by doing so I broke the waterproof barrier between the carbon and the foam core.

Just to make sure that no leaks would develop in the future I figured it would be a good idea to enlarge the holes fill them with epoxy/graphite mixture and redrill them. This would ensure a waterproof hole and is a clean solution.

Also it allows me to use different hardware for the camera mount making things less bulky.

The excess will be neatly trimmed after curing.

Guess where I got my inspiration from...

What else would I do with my time since I can only go spearfishing during weekends....
Old 05-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #173
popgun pete

I hope that is not a crack running rearwards from the lower hole, you can risk the structural integrity by working over a gun too much. Drilling inwards is better than the drill busting out from the inside by pushing through. Creating a drilling jig is the best way to go that straddles the item.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 PM   #174
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
I hope that is not a crack running rearwards from the lower hole, you can risk the structural integrity by working over a gun too much. Drilling inwards is better than the drill busting out from the inside by pushing through. Creating a drilling jig is the best way to go that straddles the item.

Don’t worry Pete there are no cracks anywhere!
But thanks for the heads up.

The holes where drilled with a jig originally and the new ones will be drilled just as accurate and careful.

By the way these are all but one original holes that have only been enlarged slightly only to be reinforced again later.
I don’t think anywhere along the process the structural integrity has been compromised.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #175
kodama

I am finally getting there seems to take forever. But then again I only spend half an hour here and there on it instead of reading a book at night.

The handle is done.
Here is before.

And after.

Handle mod 2.0
Perfect functionality as pioneered by Spearq8 and aesthetically pleasing to compliment the speargun.

Reel installed.

Tying up some bands and we’re ready to play...
Old 05-28-2019, 04:51 AM   #176
kodama

I must admit that getting the height of the mechanism can be tricky if anyone tries to do the same as me.
Even with a template it remained challenging. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures during the process.
There is no room for error since I wanted the gap between top of shaft and mechanism housing to be maximum 0.25mm

It took care but I got it exactly where I wanted to.

Spearq8 is right that this can be easier tuned with a different DR mechanism. But then you have to add pieces of epoxy putty and cf fiber to the sides something I wasn’t prepared to do.

I have two remaining questions regarding this gun to which I want to formulate some answers so any potential buyers can be well informed.

Was it all worth it?

How does it perform and does it live up to its expectations?

The answers will have to wait until I have put it to good use during next months trip.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #177
kodama

Yesterday I tied some bands for this gun and decided to use the 14.5 Sigalsub Extreme @340%.

Getting the bands true the muzzle was not so easy but with some silicone spray it wasn’t at all difficult. However I can imagine getting two 16mm bands true that hole might be a bit of a pain in the ass.

I was surprised how easily I could load those bands at 340%. I measured them twice afterwards because I doubted myself and figured I cut them too long but that was not the case.

Over the last year I have installed metal wishbones again on some of my guns instead of the dyneema I was using for a long time.
Used the titanium wishbones that came with the gun and the site picture with this setup is phenomenal!
The metal wishbones in combination with the Ghost shaft which has low pins gives a great view on your target.

I dropped the gun in the creek to fire it since I didn’t feel like unloading and was amazed by the jerk when the spear reached the end of the line.
The mono slipped in the crimp! This has never happened to me before and I always make sure I pinch the crimp twice on each location.

I must have done something wrong while crimping because this should never happen regardless of power generated
But still Expecting ample power from this setup.

Next week will be the true test while hunting the deep reefs of the Aegean Sea...

Last edited by kodama; 06-04-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #178
popgun pete

Is that yellow stuff Kevlar? I don't use that line as Kevlar is strong in tension and no good in compression (as in knots), but I don't know why the crimp failed unless the cord stretched out within the crimp (although reading again you said the mono slipped).
Old 06-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #179
kodama

It remains unclear to me why it has slipped. Checked all my other crimps just to be sure.

The yellow line is stiff dyneema. Pretty decent stuff it seems to me.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:24 AM   #180
popgun pete

Yes, nothing wriong with Dyneema, I only thought it was Kevlar by the color. I use Spectra which is just another version on the same thing, both being gel spun polyethylene. The cord I use is blue and matches the color of the nylon line I used to use, but is a lot stronger for its diameter.