Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #46
Charles dT

Re: SKOGSTA, the Ikea speargun…1st build, few tools—

At that point the gun was very nearly finished so I moved on to the rigging.
Loyal to the inital concept I'm trying to keep everything as simple as possible both in design and in "base ingredients", so I had decided to go with a spectra line.
Using a spectra line allows me to use both for the line and for the wishbones on the bands so it simplifies my shopping list.
I have read stories of people loosing fish as the spectra can get cut by a dorsal fin for example but the likelihood of this happening to me is very, very low given the amount of time I actually go fishing, then shoot fish, then hit fish, then hit a large enough fish. So if it happens I might consider an upgrade to mono, until then it's going to be spectra.

With that said I had noticed on the neptonics website that the spectra seemed to be spliced to the shafts and sure enough I quickly found resources and videos on how to do it. I won't detail the process here, it's super easy.

The one thing I was missing to do the splice was a splicing fid. You can buy one for a few bucks on internet, or you can find a small piece of wire in your garage. Or like me get hold of a spiral notebook and use the wire that binds the pages together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180125_185538.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	236914  
Charles dT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:45 PM   #47
Charles dT

Next I was trying to make a bungee line. This led to a lot of head scratching and I'm still not 100% happy with my solution.
I'm not even sure why there has to be a bungee line anyway? My only other speargun (a beuchat 90cm) does not have one, so I'm guessing that it is mainly to keep the tension on the release line?
I understand having one on large guns where you might be taking shot at large fish but I'm not expecting to shot anything over 15lbs very often.

I experimented first by pulling apart a bungee cord and trying to thread the bungee elastics inside the spectra but I wasn't getting enough material in to make a significant difference. It did work a little bit though and would have made a really clean look.

Next I tried using a bike inner tube but it wasn't very springy and would break when sollicited too hard so I stopped that too.

Finally I settled on using the 14mm bands I had bought to power the speargun. I made a double knot at the place in the line where the bungee is meant to be, slipped the band section all the way to the knot and then made a constrictor knot (with some Dacron thread I had bought for tying the bands)

The next step was to figure out where to tie the second knot. You all know these bands stretch out to 350% if needed , I just went with 50% longer as I just want a little bit of tension on the release line.

Then strech the band as much as I could, in the process it passes over the second knot and when you release the tension the extra spectra is locked inside the band.

Again a second constrictor and that was the bungee line ready.

Oh yes, another lesson learned the hard way, as soon as I shot the first test fire in water I realized that the line had elongated a little and the tension of the bungee line was barely enough to hold the line so I need to shorten it slightly. To prevent that you probably want to try and stretch the spectra as much as possible before rigging your gun! This is due probably to the hollow core nature of the fiber, it's not that the fiber stretches I believe, just that the weave tightens up and allows the line to get longer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180125_200245.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	236915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180125_200904.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	236916   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180126_172211.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	236917   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180126_182058.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	236918   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180126_182905.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	236919  

Last edited by Charles dT; 02-07-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #48
Charles dT

Next I did the bands. I finally had the finishing line in sight and so sorry I forgot to take pictures during the build but I followed a pretty standard route.
I had ordered a few feet of 14mm bands, measured the length from band hole to tab , took into account stretch etc and cut my 2 bands.
I cut them a little longer than necessary maybe as I wanted to be sure to be able to load the gun.

I wanted to be able to change the wishbone easily so I inserted 2 loops of 2mm spectra (the same one) and then tied the wishbone with a sheet bend -one of the most unassuming and strong little knots I can think of!-

I probably made the wishbones too long too, but again this is something I can adress in a few seconds once I am more comfortable both with loading the gun and relatively sure it will not blow to pieces if there is more band power
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180206_205350.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	236920  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:21 AM   #49
Charles dT

And this my friends is the final result!

I tested it last week-end and did not see any fish I could shoot but just being out there with a home-made gun was absolutely awesome.

If I ever catch anything I'll edit this post, I hope you enjoyed reading this, it was for me a great project... I'd love to read your comments on pieces of advice!

moving on to a DIY float now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180206_211415.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	236921   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_210901.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	236922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_211252.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	236923   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_211307.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	236924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_211034.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	236925  

Old 02-07-2018, 12:39 AM   #50
emm_2m

�������������� unbelievable .. congrats
emm_2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #51
Wood Guy

Really nice job, Charles. A shop full of tools makes building a gun so much easier, but, as you've shown, simple tools will also work- if you have the most important one. PATIENCE! You certainly have a lot of that, and it paid off well since you now have a nice little hole gun, not to mention some new skills. Well done!
A couple of observations that might help on the next one- and there is always a next one!
1. You might have done this, but when you are drilling the holes for the mech pins, use the mech as a pattern on the side of the gun as you did, but only drill the holes as far as the mech pocket. Then, insert the mech in the pocket, re-drill one hole and insert one pin. Then drill the other hole all the way through to the other side (clamp a back up scrap on the back side), insert that pin. Remove the 1st pin and drill that hole all the way through, like the other pin. This allows the mech to be used as a pattern for the back half of the pin holes, and you will get a much more accurate hole.
2. I wouldn't use a full sized band on the bungee. If it is too tight it can affect the way the mech releases the shaft since it can impair the trigger release, or even bend the line release arm.
3. Make the mech pocket loose enough so the mech can slide into the pocket with just a little hand pressure. If it's too tight it can actually act like a wedge and cause de-lamination if the gun swells even a little.
4. You might want to consider mono for the shooting line, but a couple of trips will tell you. Sometimes the spectra is a little too limp, and can be everywhere you don't want it when you are trying to reload after a shot.

Great job, Charles, especially with only the few tools you used. Very innovative ideas as well. Can't wait to see your next effort.

Last edited by Wood Guy; 02-07-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #52
willstroo

Awesome job, very impressed.

Fellas like us who make do with what we have always makes me love the outcome! Well done!
willstroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #53
Marco

Your gun looks great! If you allow me to make a suggestion, your wishbones are WAY too long! It takes a lot of band stretch and doesn't make them any easier to load. I would shorten them AT LEAST to 1/3 their current lenght. Try to do it before you cut it. you can do it with the knot you're using.
Other than that, I would love to see very soon a picture of the first fish taken by this gun.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #54
humpinit

Props to the guy that can build something from nothing with hand tools.
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #55
Charles dT

Hi guys,

thanks for all your comments!

Wood guy I didn't drill the mech pin holes like that.Your solution is great. Definitely doing that next time! thanks for the tip.
I'll swap out the bungee of one these days but need to find a decent alternative. Have a few ideas!

Marco: Yes, I'll shorten the wishbones, you're right. I think they looked a little list over-long initially but once under tension it really stretched them out. Easy to fix since I have loops in the bands.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #56
humpinit

Where are you located? I can send you some teak, shooting line, crimps, and possibly more.
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 AM   #57
willstroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpinit View Post
Where are you located? I can send you some teak, shooting line, crimps, and possibly more.
Legend!!!!
willstroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #58
Charles dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpinit View Post
Hi Humpinit,
I live near San Francisco -I've updated my profile too now.
So that may be a little far to send me stuff... I'll PM you
Old 02-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #59
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Pretty neat, dude, I hope you have or can borrow a GoPro to document your first kill!!!! Do it!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #60
Charles dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Pretty neat, dude, I hope you have or can borrow a GoPro to document your first kill!!!! Do it!
Here we go, first kill the ikea speargun!
Near Monterrey this morning. Not the largest ever but such a joy to put food on the table with home made tools!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180310-WA0010.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	237296

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk