Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
kehloken

Possession Point Spearo Tournament

This will be held on 6/2/2012, for the most part you will need a boat, there is a low tide, for collecting shellfish, at 3:30 pm you can weigh in at the Scatchet Head community club, there is a covered barbeque, a private boat launch, for a 7 tide. There is another launch at possession beach park fo low tide launching this is on whidbey Island.
Here is tide for day
http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sea/2012-06-02

Here is current for day
http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/adm/2012-06-02

You can launch out of mukilteo, everett, Edmonds has a hoist. Kingston on the pennisula, and surrounding areas.

So you can get your fish anywhere on the way, there are many dive sites in the area.

So as to have this it is going to be lingcod, cabezon, kelp greenling, sole, and lets even throw in a perch.

Your allowed,

1 ling
2 cabezon
And basically 15 bottom fish combined (follow the fishing regs for your area 8-2, 9, 10)

Here is the competitive part, your only allowed a 36" ling so without going over is the deal and the weight.

For King Neptune Spearo you must have a limit on all and that is a good hunt.

Remember no matter what you can get a ling any size lower than 36" as they dropped the lower limit.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
kehloken

Re: Possession Point Spearo Tournament

My buddy found this it is a maine lobster, the wdfw officer said kill it, so I speard it through the mouth it stayed alive through a photo shoot. and cooked up nice.

http://jankocian.smugmug.com/
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.26.12 Maine lobster S2 .jpg
Views:	235
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	169960

Last edited by kehloken; 03-31-2012 at 05:29 PM.
kehloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
kehloken

So as I said in phillips post, I am just going to have a 1st annual possession point spearo tournament and all are welcome.

The low tide is for collecting shellfish, as in I have a clamming beach, also there is oysters, mussels,etc. It will be a seafood feast, Fish like salmon, smoked salmon, scallops, crab, crabcakes, and all the fish that I get when season opens, I even want to get halibut if I can during hook and line.

Kyak is also a way of spearing from shore.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
kehloken

This video is out front of my house, the dog sharks show up around june and july, and the cabezon and ling are infront of house, as there is a ferry sunk at &77' also.
Puget Sound Diving and spearfishing - YouTube
This is not my video, I will try to get one up. My pics wont go up, just an email one like the lobster, so still having trouble.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
kehloken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5bfC...ature=youtu.be

There are many ling all over in front of my house.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
kehloken

http://jankocian.smugmug.com/

Name:	3.30.12 Lobster speared S .jpg
Views:	196
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	169972

Name:	3.30.12 Lobster speared 2S .jpg
Views:	192
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	169973

Name:	3.30.12 Lobster cooking S .jpg
Views:	197
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	169974

nothing like having fresh maine lobster caught freh in front of my house at possession point in the puget sound.

It is yummy in my tummy
Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Samson

Hey bro,

I am down for getting involved in a spearfishing tournament, and would love to get our local group of spearos organized and together. I do have an issue with these types of tournaments though. I unfortunatly completely dissagree with tournaments that reward on killing your limit on every type of fish legal in that area. I mean really... who really spears and eats surf perch and sanddabs and sole in Puget Sound? To just kill them for the sake of winning a tourney just sets wrong with me.

The only fish we really seek out and enjoy here is Ling and Cabby. Why not just have a tourney for these fish and not seek out and slaughter 15 fish we are not really going to eat.

Just my .02 worth.

Like I said, Id love to participate... Ill committ my boat and my group of spearo friends..that is about 10 guys and gals, but I dont want to be involved in slaughtering 15 perch and sanddabs that no one is gonna eat just to win a prize.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
kehloken

Samson thats fine, I just threw out some sort of ideas as we only have ling and cabezon.

I guess i did not check here lately as I been diving and fishing for blackmouth and prepping gear for upcoming ling season.

Now to come up with a winner, there could be a big ling winner, big cabby winner and a total weight of 1 ling and 2 cabby's, so like three winners in all.

As for prizes not sure how to do legally but sure it can be done, or like we did on hunting trips, everyone put in cash set amount then divide accordingly.
yet it would be nice to actually give a spearfishing prize away.

So I just set the date and we will have seafood to eat, bring your beverage of choice and any none diver spearo who does not like seafood bring what you like.
There are nice restrooms for nature calls.

So any Ideas are welcome as I and another member are just to have a good time putting this on, also have some great guy's that know how to prep seafood.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
fishyak
Going deeper!

Out here we often donate the fish to a local kitchen. That way the fish dont go to waste.

just an idea...?

"You gotta watch out if you don't know where you're goin', you just might not get there." -Yogi Berra
fishyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
kehloken

yes fishyak, no fish goes to waste, small bottom fish are made into fish cakes, patty's, or fish taco's. and can give irt away also if needed.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
kehloken

Well it was a low attendance of just the scatchet head spearo's, it became about a complete three way tie, of 30" ling and no real accurate scale to really differ.

I spotted the prize winner but it was gone in a hurry, we dove in 100' + so it was a tuff tournament as it was a short bottom time, only one person had to make a second dive to get there ling.

After decided on area and depth it did make it more of a challenge, and next year will be the same, although were going to have first halibut tournament, then a ling tournament, and figure having a cabezon tourna ment later in summer.

We had a great feast of halibut, spot prawns, ling, oysters, mussells, clam's and scallop's all caught and collected that day. So lots a beer, patron and I think I ate a hundred prawns myself. Great sunny and warm day on the water.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
North Star
Max

Glad it went well. Thanks for the report!