Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
Fimp Sac

Re: Laws effecting Utah

Here is an excerpt from the Salt Lake Tribune...It looks like everything went through though there was some pushback at the meeting.

Spearfishing, a topic of heated debate the past few years, remains a thorny issue, but the board approved a list of more waters where the activity can take place. Spearfishing will not, however, be allowed at Jordanelle and Lost Creek reservoirs starting in 2014 and there will be some seasonal closures to protect spawning largemouth and smallmouth bass.
The new regulations did not sit well with some anglers.
"Spearfishing is actually freshwater hunting," said Clifford Sackett with the Utah Bass Federation. "Many states allow spearfishing in lakes and reservoirs, but nearly all of them restrict the divers to rough fish like carp, gar, bullheads, suckers and etcetera. Spearfishing is not fishing, it is hunting and it should be regulated under hunting rules, which is what a lot of other states do."
Utah anglers also got some direction when it comes to disposing of fish they are required to kill when caught in certain places, but may not want to take home. It won’t be illegal for anglers to conk a northern pike they caught on the Green River on the head and then put it back in the river, although the fish is most often eaten in those cases.
Fimp Sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
HowdIgetSoLucky

So was the proposal adopted in whole. Or did they part it out? It sounds like you were there. I was on a the Sand Dollar for lobster, ling cod, sheepshead, moon fish or I would have been there.
HowdIgetSoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Slamcorps
Lurker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowdIgetSoLucky View Post
So was the proposal adopted in whole. Or did they part it out? It sounds like you were there. I was on a the Sand Dollar for lobster, ling cod, sheepshead, moon fish or I would have been there.
Dang rub it in a little deeper buddy. Pics or it didn't happen
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimp Sac View Post
Here is an excerpt from the Salt Lake Tribune...It looks like everything went through though there was some pushback at the meeting.

Spearfishing, a topic of heated debate the past few years, remains a thorny issue, but the board approved a list of more waters where the activity can take place. Spearfishing will not, however, be allowed at Jordanelle and Lost Creek reservoirs starting in 2014 and there will be some seasonal closures to protect spawning largemouth and smallmouth bass.
The new regulations did not sit well with some anglers.
"Spearfishing is actually freshwater hunting," said Clifford Sackett with the Utah Bass Federation. "Many states allow spearfishing in lakes and reservoirs, but nearly all of them restrict the divers to rough fish like carp, gar, bullheads, suckers and etcetera. Spearfishing is not fishing, it is hunting and it should be regulated under hunting rules, which is what a lot of other states do."
Utah anglers also got some direction when it comes to disposing of fish they are required to kill when caught in certain places, but may not want to take home. It won’t be illegal for anglers to conk a northern pike they caught on the Green River on the head and then put it back in the river, although the fish is most often eaten in those cases.
What a crock of $&@?! I've been spearing in a lot of different states across the US and never have purchased a hunting license to do so. What an idiotic thing to say. Also I've never looked in the hunting regs to find out the spearfishing rules/regulations, I wish he would have cited the states he is referencing when he says "it is hunting and it should be regulated under hunting rules, which is what a lot of other states do."
Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
Birdman

That guy Cliff is a huge spearfishing hater, he firmly believes spearfisherman shoot all the big bass, I wish he could stick his big head under the water and see the big bass all over. He goes by " BASSRODS" on big fish tackle forum.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote