Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
rowow

Dont spread rumours

If you watched the news in the west palm beach area you probably heard a girl who got attacked by a bull shark at bathtub beach. I wish her the best of luck in her recovery but the rumors being spread by the parents and media is disgusting.

I was spearfishing at bathtub beach yesterday and I was the only one spearfishing out there at that time, if anyone else was spearfishing it was out on boat, none of which were near the swimming area. I however went over 1500ft south from the swimming area and swam around a mile up and down the coast going further away from the swimming area without seeing a single fish. When I was finished I went back to my car pack my gear and went out to the beach to take a break, however right when I got on the beach I hear a whistle with people running north yelling shark.

I stayed there after the whistle and saw people coming back from the ocean with NO ONE ELSE spearfishing or coming back from the water with anything that looks like a gun, even the lifeguards said no one was spearfishing in the swimming area. There were people south fishing far closer then I was to the swimming area, almost right next to it. However this is not nemo were sharks will kill everything in sight with a drop of blood.

If anything the shark attack occurred due to the lack of fish. Ive spearfished in the area many times and never have I seen it so dead and lack of fish, as the biggest thing I saw that day is a pinfish. Each time I dive the beach however I see a shark every time, its the ocean, there are sharks everywhere. But no spear fisherman was bringing bloody fish into swimming areas.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-mart...-martin-county

What I am disgusted about is how the media is pushing the blame of a 3 year old girl getting attacked on spearfishing cause it will get more attention while ruining our reputation.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote