Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
kon

Flying with an FRV and CO2 cartridges

Does anyone have experience flying with an FRV? I recently flew to Baja with a Carter float and 2x CO2 cartridges... my checked baggage was searched and both cartridges were removed. I'm now considering buying an FRV but I have to travel to spearfish and I'm wondering if the same thing will happen. As far as I understand it, the vest is no good without CO2 cartridges. I can certainly look into buying cartridges at my destination but that may not be an option at some places.

I found this FAA link which states the maximum travel size for a cartridge is 28g of CO2. The FRV requires a 33g to 84g cartridge depending on depth. Unless I'm missing something the FAA doesn't allow travel with the larger CO2 cartridges an FRV requires.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
dctrjayyy

Re: Flying with an FRV and CO2 cartridges

The self inflating life vest rule does not specify size.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...nfo/?hazmat=26

It is always an issue. I carry mine on, let TSA know I have a "Self Inflating Life Vest with CO2" that will need a secondary screen before it goes through XRay machine. They usually tell me it is not allowed. I then show them the paperwork and they get a supervisor and after about 15-20 minutes, I'm on my way. If you check it, they will take the cannisters because you aren't there to help guide them to the applicable rule.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
kon

Interesting thanks. So I'll have to put the vest and cartridges in my carry on bag and speak with TSA as I go through security screening. Which paperwork do you show the TSA supervisor? Is it a printout of the regulations here?
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
dctrjayyy

yeah, i just print those and highlight them to give them some guidance. they'll go look it up on their own anyway because they don't trust us.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
phil herranen

What he said , around 1/2 the time they let it go straight threw the other 1/2 you need to show them the link on their site .
You can have 2 in the vest and 2 extra ,but I have gotten away with 4 extra

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
schwaman

Same experience here, except I never took it as carry on but checked luggage. I pre-warn them at check in, then they usually call around, it takes 10min, they come to no conclusion and let me go.
I pack the printed TSA page in the storage bag in case it gets opened, thats the first thing they look at.
Been travelling with it since 2013, appart from discussion, never had a problem
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote