Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
Mana'squal

Cheater tabs, when and why?

Hey all,

What is the advantage a cheater tab brings?

Are they worth using for a medium sized gun?

Do they have any downsides?

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
brandon cadalzo

Re: Cheater tabs, when and why?

I have em on my shafts and they have a hole drilled through them for my shooting line. Having your shooting line in the middle of the shaft seems to stabilize its flight path and keeps the trajectory a bit flatter. Also i use my cheater tab on my 120 because it’s a long haul to get the band all the way back. On a Denton 120 the last sharkfin is pretty much maybe 2” off your sternum so it’s nice to be able to take a little rest and get yourself reset before loading the rest of the way. I’ve also used it for really crappy vis with my denton 90. It’s just personal preference really. Heck from time to time I’ve used it on the 90 to take a little break before loading all the way because i was tired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Chuckitall

Wife couldn’t survive loading her gun underwater, she uses a left side cheater tab. The shafts are way too expensive to purchase.
Chuckitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Mana'squal

Thanks guys.

Brandon where are you ordering your shafts from? I have a neptonics reef mech with a square notch shaft.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
brandon cadalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
Thanks guys.

Brandon where are you ordering your shafts from? I have a neptonics reef mech with a square notch shaft.

I get them from greekdiver here on the board. Or on Facebook you can message him on Abellan Spearguns USA. His name is Harry and he’s super cool. Very good customer service. The shafts are made by Hunt and in my opinion they are the best around.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon cadalzo View Post
I get them from greekdiver here on the board. Or on Facebook you can message him on Abellan Spearguns USA. His name is Harry and he’s super cool. Very good customer service. The shafts are made by Hunt and in my opinion they are the best around.

Unfortunately I dont think Hunt makes American (square notch) shafts, only euro. Spearcrafters makes custom shafts that you can get with a loading tab and made to your specification. They are the manufacturer and have a $150 min order. If you only need one or two shafts you can order through GR at red tide spearfishing. I have been very pleased with their shafts.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #7
Xylophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
Unfortunately I dont think Hunt makes American (square notch) shafts, only euro. Spearcrafters makes custom shafts that you can get with a loading tab and made to your specification. They are the manufacturer and have a $150 min order. If you only need one or two shafts you can order through GR at red tide spearfishing. I have been very pleased with their shafts.
I just ordered a shaft from GR. An FYI, his photos on the website are out of date. The fins on the ones he's shipping are all the way back on the shaft.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #8
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

havent noticed any downsides at all to having loading tab on shaft

they're about 350mm from the tail on the Hunts, which i find really comfortable for hip loading hot 15mm bands. easier than the Pathos shaft with loading tab not as far forward

they just make life easier, especially with optimised shafts with the rear tab only an inch from the tail.

and they get the shooting line well out in front of the bridles and tabs, so less chance of getting hung up

maybe on sub-140 shafts where there's no need for loading tab, they get in the way of quick chest loading, as you have to pull the bridle over the loading tab as you load all the way back? but you can just grind the loading tab off if you dont need it
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

My wife needs a cheater tab to load her gun as well. I ordered mine from Dean at Vector Marine. He makes great quality shafts, and makes them quickly.

Mori is always a fantastic option as well.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
Mana'squal

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to try one out just to see how it works. At worst my shooting line will kept away from my bands and it might make loading these 16mm small id's cut to 350 a little easier.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

I use my cheater tabs as power down tabs when shooting around rocks or possibly into structure. I can quickly unload one band then move the other down to the cheater as needed. That away I'm not blasting into areas that need a light touch.
Comes in handy.