Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #61
skinneej

Re: Bottom Finder Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Yes. Ones that are shallow enough, you can dive and feel the upwelling.

Also, they're huge deep holes surrounded by higher seafloor. If they weren't blowing water out, they would quickly be filled with sediment.
That makes sense, but I got a book from a commercial guy here and they aren't divers. Spot is in like 100'. I haven't found a spring yet though, only a ledge nearby. My numbers are Loran conversions, so there could be something still out there... It's just always struck my curiosity.
skinneej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #62
primalpete

HurricaneBK,

I think I know what wreck that is. We were going to dive it two weeks ago but instead hit one less than a mile away. Solid thermocline around 150 and no one was home. Did run into a cubera in the 30's in 150 the next dive but he was too smart to get close too.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #63
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinneej View Post
That makes sense, but I got a book from a commercial guy here and they aren't divers. Spot is in like 100'. I haven't found a spring yet though, only a ledge nearby. My numbers are Loran conversions, so there could be something still out there... It's just always struck my curiosity.
Springs could go "dry" and fill in, and LORAN conversions are fraught with inaccuracy.

Also maybe they just thought a ledge was a spring based on the sonar profile, who knows. Or maybe someone gave *them* the numbers and said it was a spring.

Probably your numbers are just off. Look at a bathymetric chart to see if there are any noticeable holes nearby. Try the Navionics web app (google search)
Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #64
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinneej View Post
Dan, question for you... I've seen the word "spring" used before in commercial books. Is this really a freshwater spring dumping into the ocean? Also, how is this determined\verified?
I don't think so. Talked to quite a few knowledgeable people over the years, all say there are no fresh water springs offshore on the West Fl shelf. I think comm fishermen started calling them "springs" and it just kinda stuck. A lot of them have tidal flow but I've never dove one with fresh water coming out of it.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #65
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Big Cubera cave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cubera Cave.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	209864  

Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #66
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
I don't think so. Talked to quite a few knowledgeable people over the years, all say there are no fresh water springs offshore on the West Fl shelf. I think comm fishermen started calling them "springs" and it just kinda stuck. A lot of them have tidal flow but I've never dove one with fresh water coming out of it.
I should have prefaced my statements that it was logic and secondhand info I was relying on, and that I'd never dove one.

Dan would know a lot better than me.

However, I still don't see how they would stay holes with hurricanes and storms moving sand and silt around.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #67
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Dean got this Cubera off it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	75 LB Cubera-DP  08-19-14 (Copy).jpg
Views:	954
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	209865  

Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #68
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

From article "Submarine Groundwater Discharge Along West Florida Shelf"
http://soundwaves.usgs.gov/2009/07/
Quote:
This vent (Crystal Beach Spring) is one of many known offshore springs along the coastal sections of Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties; however, according to a spring survey conducted by the Southwest Florida Water Management District in 2002-03, Crystal Beach Spring is the only spring discharging large volumes of relatively fresh groundwater; the others appear to have stopped flowing. What keeps this spring flowing while so many others in the area have become extinct?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #69
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
I should have prefaced my statements that it was logic and secondhand info I was relying on, and that I'd never dove one.

Dan would know a lot better than me.

However, I still don't see how they would stay holes with hurricanes and storms moving sand and silt around.
You make a good point Tyson. I think for those exact reasons are why we don't seem to have any in shallow water. In skinny water the sand from storms could easily fill one in. The "springs" in 200' + probably never get any significant filling in from even a major storm. Just too deep for the bottom to be significantly affected from waves.

There's one I've dove a lot in 130' that somedays has no movement, other days has sucking in movement and I've also seen it blowing out. Tidal surges would be my guess.

The way I feel about it is that I've never seen one with fresh water flowing out of it. If I saw one doing it tomorrow, then I'd have no problem changing my views on it!

Old 08-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #70
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Cool spot, very very good Cubera bottom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cubera Citadel.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	209866  

Old 08-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #71
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Lots of fish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Smoking Ledge.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	209867  

Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #72
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Also, FWIW, some of the "springs" are known to be sinkholes, which may have been aquifer caverns before they collapsed.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #73
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Totally agree, I think most are sinkholes. Makes sense.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #74
skinneej

Quote:
Springs could go "dry" and fill in, and LORAN conversions are fraught with inaccuracy.

Also maybe they just thought a ledge was a spring based on the sonar profile, who knows. Or maybe someone gave *them* the numbers and said it was a spring.

Probably your numbers are just off. Look at a bathymetric chart to see if there are any noticeable holes nearby. Try the Navionics web app (google search)
My numbers are way better than any bathy charts... Anyway, yes, I know conversions are off, but this ain't my first rodeo. They are usually off up to about 250' or so. The trouble is, when you have a lot of structure in one area, it's hard to tell if you are looking at what the original mark was or you just happen to be looking at the next piece of structure over.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #75
skinneej

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
Cool. Thanks for the info. I figured you would indeed have some perspective on it.