Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
HurricaneBK

Seared Yellow Jack

I've always heard good things about yellow jack's table fare but never got around to trying one myself. I speared one Monday big enough to make it worth my while to mess around with so decided to give it a go. I wanted to try it seared since it's supposedly quite similar to one of my favorite fish, pacific yellow tail/hamachi.

Basically cook it like you would a seared tuna loin.

-Coat in sesame oil
-Season, I'll usually do a little sea salt and cayenne pepper but salt and black pepper are good too
-Roll in sesame seeds
-Heat cast iron skillet
-Toss in skillet and cook for 30 seconds or so on each side, loins are usually triangular, depends how done you want it too, I try to leave most of the loin raw.

Now the trick, take a small metal tray and before you get started put it in the freezer. Once you're ready to take the fish out of the skillet place it on the tray and back into the freezer for a few minutes. What this does is prevent it from crumbling and allows you to make those perfect restaurant style slices.

I have to say I was impressed, fresh yellow jack can certainly hold its own when properly prepared with just about any fish. Make sure to clean it well and eliminate any bit of the bloodline left over from filleting it before you start prepping it for cooking. The final result with a little wasabi and an equal parts mix of soy sauce and rice vinegar with a squeeze of lemon was something I would have paid money for in a restaurant.

Might try doing ceviche or poke with the next one as the firm meat seems to be a good candidate for a lot dishes. Also going to save the collar bone of one and try and replicate one of my favorite dishes at my local sushi restaurant which is a Hamachi's baked collar bone. If you ever see Hamachi Kama on the menu give it a try.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Seared Yellow Jack

I have another way to do this...
I use a glass building block ( home depot has them ) put it in the freezer the night before then after searing the fish 30 sec per side I put the fish on the cold glass block, and serve.
Not only does it look great ( it's all in the presentation you know...), but it stops the fish from cooking further and keeps it nice and cold.
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #3
HurricaneBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I have another way to do this...
I use a glass building block ( home depot has them ) put it in the freezer the night before then after searing the fish 30 sec per side I put the fish on the cold glass block, and serve.
Not only does it look great ( it's all in the presentation you know...), but it stops the fish from cooking further and keeps it nice and cold.
Hmm I might try that. I actually served it on a more presentable tray but those glass blocks look neat. Can you cut on them without scratching the glass?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Nice. Pay no attention to the ignorant fish snobs. I've found plenty of fish really delicious that the fish snobs have discounted.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #5
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneBK View Post
Hmm I might try that. I actually served it on a more presentable tray but those glass blocks look neat. Can you cut on them without scratching the glass?
Yea, It doesn't scratch the glass, but it really wouldn't matter cause that's all I use that one glass block for. I'd be more worried about dulling the knife, than scratching the glass, but you don't have to cut that hard, if so you have a really bad piece of fish!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
SEATUX

Next time you get an AJ do it like you would Ahi Tuna, and use the glass block, it's Great!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #7
HurricaneBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Next time you get an AJ do it like you would Ahi Tuna, and use the glass block, it's Great!
An AJ? That might be pushing things a bit, no? I'll give it a try, I usually don't spear AJ since I'm not interested in eating them.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #8
SEATUX

Dude...you just ate a Yellow Jack..Ahi AJ is WAY BETTER than that!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
acteg

Yellow jack is good eating. The people who put it down just don't know.
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
SEATUX

You eat AJ and Cuda?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
acteg

I've had cuda a few times. Smaller ones. It was pretty good.
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
SEATUX

So is AJ.
I've had guest over for Ahi AJ and Ahi Tuna, side by side, both fixed the same, and everyone said the AJ was better.
Back to the presentation...the glass block SB about 8"x8"x4"...I use a wood divot under it to keep it cold and not sweating. You will notice the sides are not clear, they are sprayed with a rubbery coating to allow the mortar to adhere, this coating will come off with a razor blade and a bit of lacquer thinner for clean up, thus making the block perfectly clear.
It Greatly enhances the appearance/presentation.