Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-21-2016, 06:30 AM   #61
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

Three things that can completely trasnform any gun....

1: proper fitting handle
2: 14.5mm hot bands
3: shaft cone

The spear I was using is a rifft low profile spear, Its what I use on my 130 to drive tacks all day long

I hope this doesnt start a war, but this gun is starting to look an awful lot like an albellen....open track, hiiiigh handle placement, amazing muzzle, wide, long, nice belly, small loading pad, and custom grip....no disrespect meant

I spent about 3 hours using a small hand file and am honestly glad I did, I was able to go over ever mm of that gun and make it perfect. There is a pile of aluminum power on my floor and I looked like like silver street performer. Good thing I wore my respirator. You almost cant tell it was ever an enclosed track to begin with. I will use a square block today to finish it and then start with a few other mods. Im also headed to the paint shop in a few hours...

Last edited by kwtony; 12-21-2016 at 06:58 AM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:57 AM   #62
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
True that ... I wonder why speargun manufacturers don't realize how much an improvement a $.30 cone can have on the final performance of the speargun they are selling. .
Lets be honest here, I dont think there is but maybe 3 gun manufactures that actually tests their guns, even then its still a stretch. Based off the large portion of my life Ive dedicated in dive shops, going over guns and setups I think most just shove a spear in wooden stick, throw a few random bands on them, make them yellow or red so people think they are cool and then claim they take world records all over...
Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #63
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Line release between D'angelo 2 and 3 handles

Ah, that's how it looks.
Is it easy enough to take out the trigger mech and get to the line release? Just pop out the pins holding the trigger cassette in the handle, is that it?
I have a Pathos d'A1 handle with a very short line release but have plenty of small stainless steel rod, so thinking of fashioning a longer one.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #64
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Yessir, Thats how it works on the D2 and D3 handle, I dont have a d1, but i dont see why it would be any different. Since its a reverse mech.

I might actually have a few extra d2 pin I could mail you.

I did this but went a slightly different approach. I ended up taking apart a telescoping antenna one time, and finding the tube that perfectly fit over the line release and cut about 6mm off and filed it down to 4. it had a rounded end and all i had to do push it on the pin, and fill the top hole with glue and it held perfectly. I had photos somewhere, but that was a loong time ago.

I might end up having to file mine down a teeny bit over the next few days tho, i have some binding when im doing dry tests on land.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #65
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Yessir, Thats how it works on the D2 and D3 handle, I dont have a d1, but i dont see why it would be any different. Since its a reverse mech.

I might actually have a few extra d2 pin I could mail you.

I did this but went a slightly different approach. I ended up taking apart a telescoping antenna one time, and finding the tube that perfectly fit over the line release and cut about 6mm off and filed it down to 4. it had a rounded end and all i had to do push it on the pin, and fill the top hole with glue and it held perfectly. I had photos somewhere, but that was a loong time ago.

I might end up having to file mine down a teeny bit over the next few days tho, i have some binding when im doing dry tests on land.
It's all good, no need to ship it (I am in China anyways), but thanks a ton for the offer:-)
Got you on the alternative of just extending the original line release with a short piece of tubing. That's an option for me, too as not long ago I bought a selection of thin-walled stainless tubes for making fids for splicing dyneema plus I was thinking I might have a go at mounting a tube on a slip tip spear instead of a slide ring. So, I have the toys and materials, just wanted to confirm it's as doable as I thought after having seen your pic:-).

Love the build-log, so cool to get to look in on it all, almost in real time

[EDIT]
Just re-found Majd's video where he puts in the booster kit. Shows how to take the trigger apart in every detail:

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 12-21-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #66
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I think Jason asked this earlier and I wanted to at least address this. I made my muzzle plugs in a way to maximize band stretch, i know we are splitting hairs here, but Ill do everything I can to get that last little bit out of this platform. I got almost 1/2 inch of extra band stretch on each band hole and did not sacrifice the angle of the band profile nor does it effect the release. I hate that medusa tangle and these band keepers are a big hit in my book. I might make a few sets of these..Will def sand, scour and bond these to the muzzle. They are super clean.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #67
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Factory 'look'....

Old 12-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #68
spearq8

Quote:
Three things that can completely trasnform any gun....

1: proper fitting handle
2: 14.5mm hot bands
3: shaft cone
I would add #4. to that ... A good strong solid trigger with a predictable let off.

The pin line release with the Pathos can be tricky. I can't tell you how many guys I have seen shoot their gun where they are getting poor performance due to line snagging on the line release. They of course blame the missed shot on poor shooting skill or just bad luck. I went crazy once trying to figure out why the hell I was spraying shots all over the target ... it was much later that I realized it was because the line was snagging on the pin line release. So ... too long a pin can be bad ... and too short a pin can be a PIA as line always falls off ... especially if you use a break away rig. Best is to get rid of that altogether and put a good trigger with side line release.

By the way ... I like the idea of pushing the plug to add extra band stretch. I know it is not much ... but a collection of little things tends to add up to quite a lot in the end. I am thinking of plugging one of the holes and just expanding the front one to fit 2 bands in?!! I checked the band stretch of this gun and it is exactly the same size as the Pathos 130 ... not sure why it is called a 125.

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #69
kwtony
Snorkel Master

ohhhh ohhhh ohh GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIEE!!!!!!!!!!

would ya look at the sear on that thing, sweet jesus Madj!!!! I think i just cried a little

Last edited by kwtony; 12-21-2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: titty sprinkles
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #70
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I agree on the muzzle plugs, easy for me to say now, but when I got my first Pathos just a few months back, the first thing I noticed is how much space is wasted at the front of the original open muzzle when using two 14mm bands. I am fairly sure a full inch can ge gained there;-)
Old 12-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #71
spearq8

Quote:
ohhhh ohhhh ohh GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIEE!!!!!!!!!!

would ya look at the sear on that thing, sweet jesus Madj!!!! I think i just cried a little
PM me your snail mail, I think I can contribute one to this project. I spent quite a lot of my free time beta testing a bunch of triggers for the Pathos and finding ways to keep the old triggers working. It is ironic that I get all this crap from Pathos dealers while I actually am doing something to improve their product ... free of charge I might add.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #72
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
PM me your snail mail, I think I can contribute one to this project. I spent quite a lot of my free time beta testing a bunch of triggers for the Pathos and finding ways to keep the old triggers working. It is ironic that I get all this crap from Pathos dealers while I actually am doing something to improve their product ... free of charge I might add.
For what its worth, manufactures should be bowing down at the feet of anyone willing to offer and sort of FREE R&D...billion dollar companies spend millions to hire outside organizations to do this and yet it seems like some of our most beloved brands appear to be stuck in the stone age. Then again, we are pretty much killing fish with a pointy stick.

Mr. Majd, you've contributed more then enough over the years to this and many other projects but I will certainly take you up on that offer. I love that we can collaborate on things like this and not make threads like this into a pissing match. Some manufactures seriously hurt their image when they go off on a chest beating tangent about how much better their product is then others. I can only imagine how it translates into less money into their pockets.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #73
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
I agree on the muzzle plugs, easy for me to say now, but when I got my first Pathos just a few months back, the first thing I noticed is how much space is wasted at the front of the original open muzzle when using two 14mm bands. I am fairly sure a full inch can ge gained there;-)
I have no idea who the hell shoots two 18mm bands, but for whatever reason those seemed to fit just fine. Loading one was a chore and certainly not worth that effort. Dont tell them, but that Pathos open muzzle was the main reason I enlisted Tin Man for my design. He made them far superior and Im glad I was able to convince him to do this as he is not making them any longer. Sir Tin is a wealth of information and it is mind boggling the amount of detail he puts into his projects.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #74
Behslayer

With an 8mm Shaft in this gun, added weight to the handle, removed some of the materials, added a heavier mech? etc. How is the ballast/balance? I remember when I used to rebuild stock guns to enhance them for more robust use I would get stuck at that point. What I wound up doing in the end of those rebuilds was to wrap the pipe with Neoprene which gave enough extra buoyancy to support the weight of the extra shaft diameter, big reel, etc.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #75
kwtony
Snorkel Master

After i measure everything on the gun I will balast it, That will be the last and final step. Going to be a week or two before that point. But with the 7mm spear it was barely negative. a 7.5 will be negative as well as an 8. I will likely add a little bit of cork strategically or something else. Will get to that when I get there.