Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

Abellan and Orca Evo (same but different?)

Recently came across these Orca guns and noticed how similar to abellans they are. Anyone know about these? They're solid carbon stocks, according to the builder Pablo Sanchez. Pretty sweet!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Renejr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Abellan and Orca Evo (same but different?)

Muzzle for band wrapping in terms of elevation looks OK (as no band troughs on the top deck).

popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
popgun pete

Nice looking reel with logo. Made by LG Sub.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
popgun pete

https://www.facebook.com/fusilesorca/

Unicorn fish!

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-06-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:15 AM   #5
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Also, what happened to the endeavor to make Abellans in the US? I think it was Harry and a few others who raised money and bought a CNC router but that was about two year ago by now?
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:35 AM   #6
Mikel_24

Stock shape is shared between several manufacturers, it is what it is. Roundish on the bottom side, flat on the top. They are appreciated here in Spain. Not cheap.

I won't lie to you, they do look A LOT like Abellans (detachable handle design, muzzle design, handle area reinforcement plate, loading pad, etc.)

I don't like the trigger guard... I would rather have them closed instead of open (Abellan changed the design long ago). It avoids the risk of a floatline getting tangled in the trigger.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:12 AM   #7
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

It def looks too much like an Abellan for them to not have asked permission (in my opinion). The stock shape of an Abellan is actually very much its own in my eyes and if Orca just wanted something overall kinda the same in terms of balance and girth, they could still have accomplished that without it looking like a 95% clone. E.g. the Orca even has that little curved step where the band grooves end just before the trigger that's one Abellan-like design feature they could easily have left out as it is a look more than practical thing. This is why I think they must have gotten the nod from Abellan. Also, the triggers might be his, right? His triggers could very well be the only ones with that wide, white plastic trigger.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 04-07-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:21 AM   #8
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
It def looks too much like an Abellan for them to not have asked permission (in my opinion). The stock shape of an Abellan is actually very much its own in my eyes and if Orca just wanted something overall kinda the same in terms of balance and girth, they could still have accomplished that without it looking like a 95% clone. E.g. the Orca even has that little curved step where the band grooves end just before the trigger that's one Abellan-like design feature they could easily have left out as it is a look more than practical thing. This is why I think they must have gotten the nod from Abellan. Also, the triggers might be his, right? His triggers could very well be the only ones with that wide, white plastic trigger.
Unless you take out a design registration anyone can copy anything. Then you have to enforce it through legal action, which is very costly. Most just try to fill the market by making enough guns and building a reputation for their craftsmanship and attention to detail and the performance of their products.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:28 AM   #9
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Abellan and Orca Evo (same but different?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Unless you take out a design registration anyone can copy anything. Then you have to enforce it through legal action, which is very costly. Most just try to fill the market by making enough guns and building a reputation for their craftsmanship and attention to detail and the performance of their products.

Sure. I was just talking from a “moral” standpoint. I think I would feel a bit conflicted buying a gun which looked very similar to that of a well-known builder’s design unless I knew he was alright with it. But maybe he said “sure, buy some hardware from me and feel free to lean on my design as much as you want”.
I actually dropped Orca a line so let’s see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 04-07-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #10
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Got a reply already and it basically says that Victor (Abellan) is fully aware and alright with the Orca guns. And that indeed his triggers are being used in the Orcas.

The idea seemed to be to take the proven Abellan, see if they could make improvements and then use modern construction methods. The guys behind Orca dive in the Strait of Gibraltar and they say the tough conditions and strong currents there make them favor a simple two-banded gun. Personally, I think it may also be good for marketing as a lot of the other new players we have seen lately are mostly about pulley guns (e.g. Briante and Carbonia).

As for construction, I was told it is a monocoque made in a closed mold. Whilst the trigger is Abellan, the handle is their own and comes in left, right and ambi versions.

They come in 100/110/120 with minimal overhang Hunt shafts at 7.5mm and 8mm thicknesses - no skinny shafts here. Prices are surprisingly comparable to their wooden "fathers'. Also, website is under construction but should be fully up and running soon:
http://fusilesorca.com/

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 04-07-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
popgun pete

The downward angled band anchor hole and band elevator ramp are seen more clearly in this photo.
I wonder why the trigger finger guard is not longer, say something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orca muzzle.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	245299   Click image for larger version

Name:	handle orcab B.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	245300  

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-07-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: extra comment
Old 04-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #12
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Yeah, as mentioned by Mikel, the open trigger guard used to be on Abellan guns, too. Until enough people voiced their concerns and it was extended. One reason for an open guard would be so it wouldn't interfere with your fingers when you try to hold the handle as high as possible. But even if that was the goal, you can still close the guard by sweeping it up along the rear edge of the trigger. I did that on this handle:

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 04-08-2020 at 12:00 AM.