Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
True spearo

Just had my first Blackout/Samba

hey guys, im kinda new to this board but i thought i'd share this story that happened go me last night, i was just training for my freediving (at my house above water) i had been doing my c02 tolerance tables, i was on my 7th one, i purged(big mistake) breathed from the bottom of my stomach and packed, i had just remembered i needed something from my kitchen so i got up and walked over there, the next thing i knew i was on my kitchen floor shaking, i dont remember ever walking in my kitchen or falling, i have a bruised and heavily cut face so im guess i was really making friction with my face on the ground, this really scares me and im starting to wonder if tanks are more my thing.
True spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
john51277
Banned User

Re: Just had my first Blackout/Samba

Wear your helmet next time!
john51277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Joe.A
KayakFisherman

Table times?

I wouldn't worry it, tables are supposed to stress you and build tolerance to CO2. Pay close attention to those feelings you get before you pass out, those are the warning signs.

Oh, and take a class.
Joe.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by True spearo View Post
hey guys, im kinda new to this board but i thought i'd share this story that happened go me last night, i was just training for my freediving (at my house above water) i had been doing my c02 tolerance tables, i was on my 7th one, i purged(big mistake) breathed from the bottom of my stomach and packed, i had just remembered i needed something from my kitchen so i got up and walked over there, the next thing i knew i was on my kitchen floor shaking, i dont remember ever walking in my kitchen or falling, i have a bruised and heavily cut face so im guess i was really making friction with my face on the ground, this really scares me and im starting to wonder if tanks are more my thing.
How much did you pack??? You can really hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing... Make sure you stay on the couch when doing statics..

packing is not necessary until you start to dive past 60m or trying for personal best breath-holds... no one packs in training.

I've never had to pack...

Like Joe said, take a class... and be safe.

Last edited by flamencoguru; 10-11-2011 at 11:18 AM.
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
mermaidgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencoguru View Post
How much did you pack??? You car really hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing... Make sure you stay on the couch when doing statics..

packing is not necessary until you start to dive past 60m or trying for personal best breath-holds... no one packs in training.

I've never had to pack...

Like Joe said, take a class... and be safe.
Yes, listen to Errol( Flamencoguru). Packing can be very dangerous. You can have a packing blackout , can have an embolism or stroke, can damage trachea,lungs, among other things. It is necessary to be more flexible in the ribcage in order to allow for the expansion of the additional air. This takes time and practice. You really don't need to pack,best advice,don't do it.
mermaidgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
nyspear
Bobby

Edit: I guess I was slow in hitting the submit button. You've already heard from the experts.
nyspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidgirl View Post
Yes, listen to Errol( Flamencoguru). Packing can be very dangerous. You can have a packing blackout , can have an embolism or stroke, can damage trachea,lungs, among other things. It is necessary to be more flexible in the ribcage in order to allow for the expansion of the additional air. This takes time and practice. You really don't need to pack,best advice,don't do it.
x2

great advice, Carla...
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Adelito

Just to give you an Idea of where I am coming from, I have taken courses/fished with FII,PFI,AIDA,DEEPQUEST instructors and trainers.

1. Your blackout was due to a change in Blood pressure (orthostatic hypostention). Given your relaxed state, and low Heart rate, there was insufficient blood flow to support your movement, so simply you shut down. Keep the same posture throughout the entire session (sitting, lying, etc.)

2. If practicing "apnea walking" do so on soft surfaces, preferebly with supervision (may be hard to find) and do so on set intervals, not maximal distance or time. If you want to make it harder, shorten the rest time, dont make large jumps in time.

3. "practice like you play". I dont understand other than a safety concern why you wouldnt pack in practice/training, if you intend on doing so when diving. Packing has its inherit risk/benefits. If you understand the measures needed to do it effectively and safely (taught by one of the agencies above) then do so to mimic all the responses and sensations you may face in the ocean. The most important thing is the exhale on the last 5m when reaching the surface when diving. On the surface, pay close attention to pack counts, dont rush your progress. Set a number, and slowy increase the quantity over weeks/months.

Pipin, under whom I am currently am instructor does not recommend the use of packing. I personally prefer to do so, because it allows for "easier" equalizations for me. But I would not instruct anyone to do so under his teaching system, without his permission or supervision.

The use of packing, or any other technique to any set distance/depth is completely subjective. Freediving is very personal, and while there are consistencies in methodology, Instruction, Skills sets, training, etc. Ultimately you need to make everything adaptable to you personally. ( by careful trial and error under trained supervision).

One thing I would like to point out, alot of people build a very strong sense of confidence based on the progress they make in their static training. It is important that you not increase depth, based on your increase in static times. While static, and even pool training are great for increasing aquaticity, adaptability to depth may relatively stay the same without certain training conditions.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
acardet

Don't let one little mishap keep you from freediving,it's a lot more fun than tank diving.

Take a class or dive and train with a partner or join a club or all of the above.

As a recreational freediver I have speared thousands of fish and never even thought about packing,but I did take the PFI class several years ago and it was worth every penny.

Have fun and stay safe.
acardet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
woodscovehunter

Sorry, newbie question, what is packing?
woodscovehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
mx5coco

youve never herd of fudge packing??? i dont recomend it but thats up to you packing is a way of forcing extra air into your lungs with you mouth not your diaphram
mx5coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
TheSturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5coco View Post
youve never herd of fudge packing??? i dont recomend it but thats up to you packing is a way of forcing extra air into your lungs with you mouth not your diaphram
Can you explain this a little more?

When I am about to dive down, I fill my lungs with air and then more by moving my diaphram with my arms...is that wrong ?
TheSturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #13
Diver278

I am new also and haven't taken any classes yet but i will very very soon. But can you explain what co2 tolerance tables are and apnea walks.

Last edited by Diver278; 10-22-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
True spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver278 View Post
I am new also and haven't taken any classes yet but i will very very soon. But can you explain what co2 tolerance tables are and apnea walks.
C02 tolerance tables get your body used to having a high amount of carbon dioxide in your blood (which is what causes the urge to breath) and apnea walks are when you hold your breath while walking.
True spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Diver278

Thanks i still have a lot to learn. I will start on the apnea walks first.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote