Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
Fox55

The Wife wants to start spearfishing!

She did grate on our last trip to Mexico as a spotter. So I guess this is a good thing RIGHT.

I'm thinking of a new build. A 32'' roller (over all gun length ) with 1 9/16 mean green band with carbon fiber and blue Kevlar rap. shooting a 34'' 9/32 shaft with about 25'' of stretch on top and one pretention anchor at 13'' on the bottom.

now I'm guessing this is only going to give hear 80 to 90 LB on the back of the spear. What do you think? should I go for the double roller? or what.
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Re: The Wife wants to start spearfishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox55 View Post
She did grate on our last trip to Mexico as a spotter. So I guess this is a good thing RIGHT.

I'm thinking of a new build. A 32'' roller (over all gun length ) with 1 9/16 mean green band with carbon fiber and blue Kevlar rap. shooting a 34'' 9/32 shaft with about 25'' of stretch on top and one pretention anchor at 13'' on the bottom.

now I'm guessing this is only going to give hear 80 to 90 LB on the back of the spear. What do you think? should I go for the double roller? or what.
I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to band guns at all, but I do read a lot here;-).
So, I am basically just passing on other people's findings and preferences and that said, perhaps a double banded gun with 13-14mm Small ID bands would be a better fit for the wife and should be easier to load than a pre-tensioned roller(?).

And YES of course it is awesome that she wants to start spearing. Personally I am considering making it a prerequisite for a coming GF, haha;-). I can't imagine anything cooler than sharing this amazing hobby with a girl/woman, but then again I am one of those commie, gender-equality loving, hippie, progressive Scandinavians...

Back to guns, though. Check these videos out:
Majd's 82 Pathos in both a roller and two-banded setup:

Same gun with both setups on a real world spearing trip:

And the thread where he shares more thoughts:
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=188855
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Mikel_24

What I think is that if you want to receive fair advice, you better start telling us under what conditions is she expected to be fishing:
Species. Is she going to be shooting into holes or in the open water?
Visibility. from how far is she expecting to shoot fish?
Weight/size. How big are those fish?

My advice is that you start fishing with her. Single gun. You both go together side by side. She would be able to learn from you and you will be there to correct mistakes. Also, if she has a misshap, you will be there to assist. My advice regarding guns is that you just let her use one of yours. And don't be the under water equivalent of the everliving idiot who hands a Desert Eagle chambered in .50AE to a skinny girl wit ZERO shooting background... That means that you start with one of your weaker less kicking guns. And yes, you get to load the gun everytime untill she gets the hang of it.

Don't buy or build anything for her. Let her use your stuff and with enough time she will be able to tell you what she likes better.

Also, another advice: gun should be the least of your worries for a begginer. You stated that she came along as a spotter the last time, if she is experienced in the water (freediving) and has her own gear, disregard what I am going to say next. If not, keep reading. The most important thing to have someone liking a new sport is to make her feel comfortable. Appropiate diving suit is key, she has to be comfortable and warm. Unless she is pretty skinny (not to many curves) she will need a diving suit for girls. Ours don't have room to accomodate hips or boobs and they are uncomfortable.

Ask me how I know, I just bought a Beuchat Athena for my girlfriend!!

I hope this helps,

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Fox55

Yes she has 18 years of scuba diving and free diving under her belt already so she has her own gear and is very comfortable in the water in fact she's wanting to move to Hawaii so we can get out of this desert. She's already pretty dangerous with a bow and arrow so this shouldn't be too much different for her I'm looking at building a small gun for hole hunting which is what she seems that she would be comfortable with no more than 6 to 8 feet. More than likely fish under 5 lb occasionally maybe a 10-pounder
Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
jersymudsniper

Im mean i love my wife dearly. But i dont take her hunting or fishing. Gotta leave wives out of some stuff

Last edited by jersymudsniper; 07-09-2018 at 02:49 PM.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Fox55

Yes but this way I can go more
Old 07-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Fox55

So here's what I have going so far 26in roller carbon fiber rail head, custom hand grip with a Sleek internal remote and a little bit of a flair on the back end to give more room for a loading pad. Going to do carbon fiber and blue Kevlar for the outside just for looks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180715_153227.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	238787   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180715_153151.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	238788   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180715_153210.jpg
Views:	87