Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
Gosh, now that you mention it, maybe I do need publik edacators to tell my sons that it's perfectly normal and acceptable, hygienic, and morally affirmative to stick their dicks up another man's crack. Otherwise, they might grow up behaving oddly.

Bill is scared of kids not being taught his religion (Faith in Big central gov't/bankers)
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Bill McIntyre

Aside from all this stuff about critical thinking vs religious indoctrination, etc., I have a practical question.

I think my wife and I could have done a pretty good job home schooling during elementary school, but what happens when the kids get to high school? I can't really offer Advanced Placement Chemistry, Physics, and a lot of others offered at the high school where she taught. I doubt that many parents could.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Aside from all this stuff about critical thinking vs religious indoctrination, etc., I have a practical question.

I think my wife and I could have done a pretty good job home schooling during elementary school, but what happens when the kids get to high school? I can't really offer Advanced Placement Chemistry, Physics, and a lot of others offered at the high school where she taught. I doubt that many parents could.
Programs we have checked on lately the student is online and has access to a teacher so the parents really arent teaching the subjects.We paid for a tutor with our youngest and he is in public school.I have a niece and nephew that are homeschooled and they are both about a year ahead of public schools.The niece is actually in college now.Its the parents job to make sure they have a good work ethic and environment to do their schooling.
OBLIGATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
OutdoorCatholic
† Catholic Spearo †

My wife and I are intending on home schooling. We're not sure how long that will go for but the premade curriculums, group classes where the homeschooling community works together to identify knowledge matter experts, and online resources all go far to avoid the gaps in knowledge that my wife and I surely have a lot of.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
North Star
Max

Outdoor Catholic - Here is a great place to get information on homeschooling:

http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/StartHere.asp

My wife and I home schooled all four of our children from kindergarten to 12th grade. They all went straight from home school to college and excelled academically and socially. It is not difficult to do. If you can read, you can homeschool. There is curriculum out there that is excellent and self teaching. We used Saxon for math and A Beka for most everything else.

Last edited by North Star; 05-13-2013 at 03:21 PM.
North Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
fishouttawatta

Quote:
The only breeding ground for critical thinking I can imagine is the mind of an individual taught to cultivate logic and entertain questions.

If you valued such a thing yourself, you might even be able to entertain some idea of myself and my family as something aside from the cartoonish fundamentalist home revival meeting you've created in your own mind.

Your complete failure to even begin to appreciate the capability for thinking, analyzing, questioning, and intellectualizing of people not of your own philosophical persuasion is a most telling indictment on your own education. You should strive to amend this. Seriously. It's not too late, is it?

Your own narrow-minded, unquestioning, unquestionable beliefs are the precise mirror image of the religious fundamentalist you love to loathe.
Exactly the opposite. It is my open minded questioning of beliefs that have lead me to my position against religion. My beliefs are not "unquestionable" in fact they are ever changing in the light of new evidence and discoveries. Unlike religious viewpoints which are prefabricated and repeated in the face of MASSIVE evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
Your complete failure to even begin to appreciate the capability for thinking, analyzing, questioning,
No doubt the religious possess the capability to think, analyze and question. They just choose not to do so when it comes to their presupposed religious beliefs. This is evidenced by the nonsense you hear spewing from their mouths daily. "god has a plan for us" "I KNOW there is a heaven" "public school is a homosexual recruitment center...."
fishouttawatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
OutdoorCatholic
† Catholic Spearo †

I'd like to point out that I didn't embrace Catholicism until my twenties after attending a secular college and studying world religions and philosophies. I went to public school all my life and my family had nominal religious practice. My free-thinking and independent journey led me to my Faith without pressure or mind-game trickery. I guess the only other explanation for us adult converts is simple mental illness.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
fishouttawatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorCatholic View Post
I'd like to point out that I didn't embrace Catholicism until my twenties after attending a secular college and studying world religions and philosophies. I went to public school all my life and my family had nominal religious practice. My free-thinking and independent journey led me to my Faith without pressure or mind-game trickery. I guess the only other explanation for us adult converts is simple mental illness.
So just what part of your "free thinking and independent journey" led you to the conclusion that there is an afterlife and that you must accept jesus as your savior to enter this sacred realm? What compelling evidence led you here?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishouttawatta View Post
So just what part of your "free thinking and independent journey" led you to the conclusion that there is an afterlife and that you must accept jesus as your savior to enter this sacred realm? What compelling evidence led you here?
I will tell you what compelling evidence led me there:

1. Creation. This fantastically designed creation had a Designer. It did not and could not have happened by blind chance, as evolution asserts. Science (which Christians are huge supporters of) has never proved that blind chance has produced anything with life. The irreducible complexity of even a single cell that can reproduce requires that it had to come into existence all at once: no natural process could have produced it out of non-living matter.

2. Conscience. God has placed in every man the knowledge of Himself and of His moral code. That is why the vast, vast majority of humanity always has and always will acknowledge and worship a God of some kind. Men the world over from the most primitive to the most educated are religious; they all acknowledge a universal moral code at a basic level and the existence of a God who will hold them accountable to that code. God built the knowledge of Himself in us, and no amount of philosophical reasoning can shake it out of us.

3. Christ. God has revealed Himself to us in the person of Jesus Christ. The way we know there is a God, is that He has come and visited us and walked among us for 33 years. He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, was crucified, died, and was buried. He rose again from the grave after three days, and forty days later He ascended into heaven. Jesus was God in human flesh. His birth, His perfect life, His teachings, His miracles, and His resurrection cannot be explained any other way than by concluding He is God. No mere human could have led His life.

4. Communication. God has communicated with us through the Bible. This book is the revelation of God. For 40 different human authors to write 66 different books over a period of 1500 years; and yet to have a unified non-contradictory revelation that has consistency in its design, its doctrine, and its central theme of redemption through God's promised and revealed Son is the indication that a single divine author and mind was inspiring it and bringing it all together. The perfectly fulfilled prophecies in the Bible that came true 100% of the time in all their details shows that an omniscient mind was revealing the future before those future events ever occurred.

5. Conversion. The proof of the existence of God is in the radical transformation He worked in my life and in the lives of millions of others when we were born again, placed our faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins, and were transformed into new people who now have a personal relationship with God. God exists because He changed my life radically, decisively, and comprehensively when I was born again; and He has done the same for millions of others.

So - It involves faith, but it is no blind leap of faith. There is a solid scientific, historic, and philosophical basis for believing in God.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Funny how some people get all bent out of shape because other people do something that they don't like, in this case home schooling. Does it reallyattwr if North Star or Mepps home school their kids? Does it effect anyone else's life? I don't plan on homeschooling my child and I don't give a damn if someone doesn't like that. I do plan on providing my child with as best an education as I possibly can. In some people's case this means reaching their child. The fact that people want to argue over this is a little comical and very sad.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #26
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
Funny how some people get all bent out of shape because other people do something that they don't like, in this case home schooling. Does it reallyattwr if North Star or Mepps home school their kids? Does it effect anyone else's life? I don't plan on homeschooling my child and I don't give a damn if someone doesn't like that. I do plan on providing my child with as best an education as I possibly can. In some people's case this means reaching their child. The fact that people want to argue over this is a little comical and very sad.

Yes, I find home schooling superior a majority of the time. I'm not afraid of what a few dogmatic religious people do...it won't affect my life for the worse that is for certain. What will affect my life is the federal indoctrination creating good little unquestioning statists that are willing to follow whatever this tyrannical leaning gov't is teaching them.

Last edited by Marcus; 05-13-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #27
jackpine savage
Kill your food

And yet I would bet you went to a public school.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #28
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Exactly!As long as they arent hurting anyone or using taxpayer monies its nobodies business but their own!That could apply to religion,drugs,alcohol,sexuality,guns ,Harleys,spearfishing,or life in general.
OBLIGATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
Exactly!As long as they arent hurting anyone or using taxpayer monies its nobodies business but their own!That could apply to religion,drugs,alcohol,sexuality,guns ,Harleys,spearfishing,or life in general.
I think there should be, and I believe there are, certain guidlines one has to follow. I could be wrong and it varies by state but I was under the impression there are some standards.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #30
fishouttawatta

Quote:
You miss the entire context of the conversation we are having. At no point have I stated that homeschooling is a bad thing. For the most part I can see why people wouldn't want to subject their children to our terrible public school system.