Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #31
fishouttawatta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 780
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post


Yes, I find home schooling superior a majority of the time. I'm not afraid of what a few dogmatic religious people do...it won't affect my life for the worse that is for certain. What will affect my life is the federal indoctrination creating good little unquestioning statists that are willing to follow whatever this tyrannical leaning gov't is teaching them.
Religious Dogma is affecting your life right now. Turning a blind eye to it does not change the fact that everybody in this forum is affected daily by religious ideology. Some ways are more subtle than others.
fishouttawatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #32
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 38,333
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
And yet I would bet you went to a public school.
Yes, I did, but I feel I would be much better off being home schooled. Then again, I'm a little older and the school system wasn't quite as bad then.
__________________
The price to being stupid is extinction, that's just the basic law of the natural world.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #33
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 38,333
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishouttawatta View Post
Religious Dogma is affecting your life right now. Turning a blind eye to it does not change the fact that everybody in this forum is affected daily by religious ideology. Some ways are more subtle than others.
Please 'splain, Lucy. I don't feel that I'm affected at all. Actually, the failing public school system is affecting me more.
__________________
The price to being stupid is extinction, that's just the basic law of the natural world.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #34
yakfisher
Registered User
 
yakfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,547
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/magic-n...155022258.html
yakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #35
fishouttawatta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 780
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
I will tell you what compelling evidence led me there:
Finally something to discuss.


Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
1. Creation. This fantastically designed creation had a Designer. It did not and could not have happened by blind chance, as evolution asserts. Science (which Christians are huge supporters of) has never proved that blind chance has produced anything with life. The irreducible complexity of even a single cell that can reproduce requires that it had to come into existence all at once: no natural process could have produced it out of non-living matter.
Evolutionary theory suggests that is how things started. It only suggests because we do not know for a fact how anything started. That theory is based on careful study, evidence and experiment. They are actually very close to proving that you can infact create life out of inorganic matter. in 2010 they successfully created man made DNA out of base chemicals, that when introduced to mycoplasma cells was able to replicate. I suggest you actually research the topic before deducing that there is zero chance that life can be created from non life randomly. Statements like this
Quote:
It did not and could not have happened by blind chance
speak to your lack of knowledge on this topic and your unwillingness to objectively view the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
2. Conscience. God has placed in every man the knowledge of Himself and of His moral code. That is why the vast, vast majority of humanity always has and always will acknowledge and worship a God of some kind. Men the world over from the most primitive to the most educated are religious; they all acknowledge a universal moral code at a basic level and the existence of a God who will hold them accountable to that code. God built the knowledge of Himself in us, and no amount of philosophical reasoning can shake it out of us.
God installed a perfect moral code in his perfectly created people. Yet everybody has a different moral code and people are far from being created perfectly. Seems like your rational doesn't meet reality. Commonality of human morality is a necessity in societal living. Morality evolved over time as early humans with certain moral "codes" achieved a better survival rate than others. Without empathy, sense of community etc. communal living would be impossible. These traits can be proven to exist in humans long before your bible even says the world was even created.
What a primitive way to look at what you don't understand, a consciousness. Currently we don't completely understand what a consciousness really is. The leading theory is that it is a byproduct of the physical brain, a real time cognitive function that actively sorts, compares and analyzes various stimuli while comparing and contrasting with memory, experience to give that stimuli meaning in order to direct operation in the physical world. But since we don't really know for 100% concrete sure what a consciousness is, you are comfortable just wildly jumping to the conclusion that "GOD" did it. Thats the only way, while you like to state that christians are proponents of science. Yet you forgo scientific process in every aspect of your beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
3. Christ. God has revealed Himself to us in the person of Jesus Christ. The way we know there is a God, is that He has come and visited us and walked among us for 33 years. He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, was crucified, died, and was buried. He rose again from the grave after three days, and forty days later He ascended into heaven. Jesus was God in human flesh. His birth, His perfect life, His teachings, His miracles, and His resurrection cannot be explained any other way than by concluding He is God. No mere human could have led His life.
Yes, because there is so much proof that jesus was born of a virgin, that he was resurrected, ascended to heaven, was god in human flesh. All of what you have said here is religious babble. You say no mere human could have lived Jesus' life, how about the obvious conclusion to draw here, he didn't either. Maybe all of these are just stories.


Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
4. Communication. God has communicated with us through the Bible. This book is the revelation of God. For 40 different human authors to write 66 different books over a period of 1500 years; and yet to have a unified non-contradictory revelation that has consistency in its design, its doctrine, and its central theme of redemption through God's promised and revealed Son is the indication that a single divine author and mind was inspiring it and bringing it all together. The perfectly fulfilled prophecies in the Bible that came true 100% of the time in all their details shows that an omniscient mind was revealing the future before those future events ever occurred.
The bible is the most contradictory piece of fiction ever written. You could literally write a book on them.(actually people have) Name one single prophecy that the bible predicted in great detail? And don't give me some crap about how rain of fire and brimstone means 911 and the trade center. If god took the time to actual tell us the future don't you think he would have at least been able to give accurate details? Like, man will land on the moon on 20 July 1969. Show me just one example of an accurate prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
5. Conversion. The proof of the existence of God is in the radical transformation He worked in my life and in the lives of millions of others when we were born again, placed our faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins, and were transformed into new people who now have a personal relationship with God. God exists because He changed my life radically, decisively, and comprehensively when I was born again; and He has done the same for millions of others.
No, you changed your life dramatically. Take a little credit for christs sake. So did the millions you mention. Maybe belief in myth and a sense of community was the catalyst, and good for them if thats what they needed. This is not proof of god though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
So - It involves faith, but it is no blind leap of faith. There is a solid scientific, historic, and philosophical basis for believing in God.
You have not provided one scientific, historic or philosophical basis for the belief in god. Your only attempt was to say that because we don't know certain things, it has to be god. Why are the religious so uncomfortable with just saying, we don't know how it all started or why.
fishouttawatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #36
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 57
Posts: 3,196
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Aside from all this stuff about critical thinking vs religious indoctrination, etc., I have a practical question.

I think my wife and I could have done a pretty good job home schooling during elementary school, but what happens when the kids get to high school? I can't really offer Advanced Placement Chemistry, Physics, and a lot of others offered at the high school where she taught. I doubt that many parents could.
I finally bit and read this thread. BM this is the most common sense response to all the posts.

OP Im sorry you are so short sighted about life. Your intolerance to anything other than your own religious beliefs is one of the biggest barriers to respect of people in this world.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #37
Ethan kills
OG Troll
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: With the seals at the Children's Pool
Age: 34
Posts: 5,376
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
It's because the public schools are nothing more than homosexual recruitment centers.
No its because weirdos like you want to brainwash your kids into thinking that the real world doesn't really happen. These kind of threads make me sick. Max, no offense but you really need to pull your head out of your ass.




Hale Satan
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #38
North Star
Max
 
North Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Age: 62
Posts: 5,817
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Back to the original post - So, everybody here is all cool with the boys showering with the girls in the locker room, just because the boy says he is a girl? Is that Ok if it is your daughter he is showering with?

Half the guys in school will suddenly identify as transgender, and sexual assaults will skyrocket.

I guess you guys in California really are as as stupid as your legislators. Have fun in nutcake land down there, as you all play in each others fecal material, or else affirm as normal those who do. Sheesh.
__________________
nec timor nec temeritas (neither fear nor foolhardiness.)
North Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #39
HARVESTER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,642
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Back to the original post - So, everybody here is all cool with the boys showering with the girls in the locker room, just because the boy says he is a girl? Is that Ok if it is your daughter he is showering with?

Half the guys in school will suddenly identify as transgender, and sexual assaults will skyrocket.

I guess you guys in California really are as as stupid as your legislators. Have fun in nutcake land down there, as you all play in each others fecal material, or else affirm as normal those who do. Sheesh.
Social decay/full-on media blitz is working. If you're against the slide into hedonism you are the odd one - not the fags who parade around Key West being indecent.

You are the group - not an individual. If you think like an individual you are to be singled out and held up as a anomaly. Black is white, two plus two equals zero and right is wrong. The argument will always be; if you don't think like us, you must be a weird, hateful and fearful - powerful stuff if you're weak-minded.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #40
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help
 
riplipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fleming Isle/Jax
Posts: 4,434
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishouttawatta View Post
For the most part I can see why people wouldn't want to subject their children to our terrible public school system.
You make a very general and ignorant statement....My kids are in public schools and so far I am very pleased with the results....not perfect, but far from terrible...

The success of any school (public or private) is 100% related to the parental involvement with the majority of the children who attend....
__________________
If it was legal to shoot the stupid, the boat ramp would be a slaughter house.
riplipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #41
jackpine savage
Kill your food
 
jackpine savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Woods Hole, MA
Age: 53
Posts: 10,780
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Riplipper-I couldn't agree more, great post
__________________
"Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity. "
jackpine savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #42
Bill McIntyre
Registered User
 
Bill McIntyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Clemente, CA
Age: 79
Posts: 39,143
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplipper View Post
The success of any school (public or private) is 100% related to the parental involvement with the majority of the children who attend....
Before my wife retired, she taught mostly AP US History and a little "regular" history.

On back-to-school nights, the room would be packed with parents of AP students. The crowd would be pretty thin for the regular classes.

I don't think this was coincidence.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #43
mepps1
Registered User
 
mepps1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gillette, WY
Age: 42
Posts: 6,430
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Before my wife retired, she taught mostly AP US History and a little "regular" history.

On back-to-school nights, the room would be packed with parents of AP students. The crowd would be pretty thin for the regular classes.

I don't think this was coincidence.
You've hit on the nail on the head! The key to education is the value any given family places on it.

The question that should raise is "Why do we need or want public education?" In my district, the public schools spend about $4,500 per student. Do you know what kind of education I could by for my kids with that money? Instead, the money just circles the toilet bowl of public ed, disappearing down the bureaucracy hole in support of support palatial buildings, multiple layers of administration, and whole range of political and social ideas I personally find deplorable. And while we blow more and more money on a hopeless system, educational and social standards run down the sewer with our tax dollars.

Flushshshshshshsh, glugluglugluglug, glug................

To top it all off, families like ours that opt out take a fair bit of flack for it. I'm not whining about that, just stating the facts.

But in other countries, homeschooling families have endured awful persecution. What it all amounts to is that even in supposedly "free" countries (our own included), the kids belong to the state. You get to keep them only so long as you comply.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #44
J707
Registered User
 
J707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,493
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
Funny how some people get all bent out of shape because other people do something that they don't like, in this case home schooling. Does it reallyattwr if North Star or Mepps home school their kids? Does it effect anyone else's life?
If we were to take the original post at face value and assume that homeschooling IS becoming wildly popular for the reason the OP claimed it was, then yes. Because that would mean that some significant and meaningful percentage of the next generation of voters and lawmakers and 21st century job candidates in this country were growing up being sequestered from reality and brainwashed by ignorant and fearful bigots who have a terribly poor understanding of the public they live in and its schools....not to mention basic human psychology, sexuality, and (I'm willing to bet) a good amount of science and history.

But of course we shouldn't take the thread title or the article that followed it all that seriously, so no not really.
J707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #45
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 38,333
Re: Ever wonder why homeschooling is so popular?

Quote:
next generation of voters and lawmakers and 21st century job candidates in this country were growing up being sequestered from reality and brainwashed by ignorant and fearful bigots who have a terribly poor understanding of the public they live in and its schools


Now THAT is funny.

Certainly society is better off being brainwashed by the central gov't propaganda...being "brainwashed by ignorant and fearful bigots".
I mean...it has been serving us so well. We are the paradigm of critical thinking skills that is enabling us to stay ahead of the rest of the world in all the critical areas.
__________________
The price to being stupid is extinction, that's just the basic law of the natural world.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com