Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #31
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Where to Spear in the Keys

They are only human, so mistakes can happen. Its their pride that usually causes them to continue to act like an asshole. Rules and regs change so often thats it tough for them to keep up.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
MBsurfnspear

Talking Re: Where to Spear in the Keys

Thank you so much for these charts and interactive maps! Tomorrow we're trying a new area to spear! We're going to Crocker Reef for the first time! Once again thank you!
MBsurfnspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #33
Snook Slayer
My Backyard Snook Hole

I've been working with FWC and the only ones that actually know the rules by area are the seasoned officers on the water every day. When I asked what they use for reference, they had nothing to share with me. So I contacted my man who is up there in FWC and asked him for help in getting me written reg's, he comes back with they have nothing but what's on their website. So he looks at my diagrams and says he is going to get someone higher up to look at what I did and fix their publications. Lets see if that happens. It was obvious to the guys that aren't officers that the reg's need clarification. It was pretty sad that I had to get the rules from a busy lieutenant who actively patrols, not from someone behind a desk. And beleive me, it was not easy to get them to approve my diagrams.

Marine patrol in the Keys is crazy busy and it is not their fault but the guys higher up for not spelling out the rules clearly so everyone can understand and follow them. And because the patrol officers are so stressed out in they have a big turnover of officers and the new one's obviously don't know all the rules, they learn on the job. I just got a notice last week they just graduated 900 new officers that will be spreadout thru FL.

I'm stirring up the pot with these guy! My persistance of getting the rules right has made many aware they need to clarify them.
Snook Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
Snook Slayer
My Backyard Snook Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBsurfnspear View Post
Thank you so much for these charts and interactive maps! Tomorrow we're trying a new area to spear! We're going to Crocker Reef for the first time! Once again thank you!
Let us all know how your trip went, take pictures!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #35
EastFlorida
Shaun

Snook Slayer,

What you've done is fantastic. You've gone way above and beyond to help others with the work you've completed and plan to work on. A huge thanks!
EastFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #36
Ddubs78

Great job, awesome information. Thanks!
Ddubs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #37
vatobelow

Bump! Much appreciated! First time down, lots of good info this thread has!
vatobelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #38
Robin_Riffe

Great info!!! thank you
Robin_Riffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #39
Mattsurfs

Conch Republic divers is a good charter to spear off of. Me and my buddies have never came back empty handed with them. They're in Tavernier i believe.
Mattsurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #40
Snook Slayer
My Backyard Snook Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsurfs View Post
Conch Republic divers is a good charter to spear off of. Me and my buddies have never came back empty handed with them. They're in Tavernier i believe.
Just checked their website and calendar and they have lots of spaces for lobster dives during Mini Season.

I am calling to find out where they are taking Bug Hunters.

https://conch.scubaocity.com/index.cfm?go=divecalendar

CALLED: They have lots of space on 4 trips and are going out to about 30' near Little Conch and some other patch reefs they have already scouted out, all depends on weather. Sounds like fun but too deep for free me to free-dive.

Anybody know of a charter that goes to shallower reefs?

Last edited by Snook Slayer; 07-22-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: called for info
Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #41
Mattsurfs

Good luck. I have gone freediving with them and it wasn't too deep.
Mattsurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #42
popolarbear

great thread. dont stop now. id like more info on shore spearfishing spots. keys is full of road side parking that encourages visitors to stop and fish on shore. but for spearfishing little public info. I personaly have had several incidents with florida officers giving me a verbal warning not to go there. thats with me going over to ask them were i can do this!

for instance Baha honda park is the most visited park in the entire nation. with loads of visitors interested in spearfishing. yet its unlawful to do it in the park. what id like to see is a clear map of were the park boundaries are and where you can spearfish. i think it reads like such and such feet from shore. .cant spearfish under the bridge. there are a ton of fish under that bridge! what about going slightly farther off shore? island?

are there any other good road side stops that can be effectively spearfished ?
popolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #43
hoghunter12

This is amazing snook slayer! Thank you so much for the hard work and dedication. I really appreciate it and I'm sure anyone else who sees this is equally appreciative.
hoghunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #44
Snook Slayer
My Backyard Snook Hole

Thanks for the pat on the back, it has been a ton of work and there seems to be no end to it! Loving every minute too.

I like Popolarbear's suggestion of where to spear from shore in the Keys. I have actually thought about this recently when I was updating shore fishing sites on the Beach & Shore Directory under The Keys http://www.floridagofishing.com/loca...directory.html

I would be happy to put a list/page together but I think the only way to do this is to get local input from people on the ground. The marine patrol is not going to help out with this except I might be able to get the list looked at once it's done.

Maybe we start a new thread "Where to Spear from Shore in the Keys"??
Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #45
Mr.Friday

I appreciate the hard work you have put into this! The information is really helpful! I can't wait to do some spearing in the keys.
Mr.Friday is offline   Reply With Quote