Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #1
PeterR

Diving the green roofs off west palm?

Has anyone here recently speared or freedove off the green roofs in west palm beach/Juno? I’ve been wanting to go out there but would like to know more about the reef. How deep is it, and how far out?
PeterR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:17 AM   #2
Sea_Bass

Re: Diving the green roofs off west palm?

I was out there on Tuesday. It isn't a natural reef, it is an artificial public number with GPS coords you can get online. Less than 20ft, less than 1/2 mile from shore. Viz was starting to improve. Fisherman are all over this spot all day. It isn't worth it unless you have a buddy or two to play defense.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
PeterR

Would I be able to swim out there with a kayak and a dive flag, would it be safer then just swimming? I wanna take my mom freediving, so she could go in the kayak and I could swim behind it or something. I just don’t wanna get run over. What did you see there?
Old 06-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
PeterR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_Bass View Post
I was out there on Tuesday. It isn't a natural reef, it is an artificial public number with GPS coords you can get online. Less than 20ft, less than 1/2 mile from shore. Viz was starting to improve. Fisherman are all over this spot all day. It isn't worth it unless you have a buddy or two to play defense.
Sorry about that forgot to quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
Sea_Bass

Dive flag is mandatory. I would not go to this spot without a kayak or SUP. I went out there to test some gear and test my sinuses. I go to this spot because I live close by. I never see anything worth hunting, mostly tropical fish and juveniles. People have gotten fish here before, but it is rare. There is always boat traffic and I'm scared of getting run over too. I run a SUP with a dive flag on a 6ft fishing pole and a dive flag on the mako float. There is always a strong current also. Be safe.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
PeterR

Quote:
Dive flag is mandatory. I would not go to this spot without a kayak or SUP. I went out there to test some gear and test my sinuses. I go to this spot because I live close by. I never see anything worth hunting, mostly tropical fish and juveniles. People have gotten fish here before, but it is rare. There is always boat traffic and I'm scared of getting run over too. I run a SUP with a dive flag on a 6ft fishing pole and a dive flag on the mako float. There is always a strong current also. Be safe.
Sounds kinda gnarly, do you know any better spots in the West Palm area?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:18 AM   #7
Sea_Bass

PeterR, it is time you start answering your own questions. All of the information I have shared you could have found out yourself by using the 'search' function on this website and reading past posts.

If you are looking for spots, go to your local dive shop and ask them for beach diving spots. Most carry books you can buy that describe spots/location/depth. Go to myfwc.com and look at the artificial reef program for your county. Get out there and find your own spots. Fish move around, good spots can be barren and bad spots can hold nice fish sometimes.

You come off as new to all of this. Dive with a buddy that is in the water with you, not watching from the kayak. Join a spearfishing club. Become friends with someone who is more experienced then you and learn. Bring something to the table: money, ice, extra gear, knowledge, offer to clean boat/gear, etc.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
PeterR

Quote:
PeterR, it is time you start answering your own questions. All of the information I have shared you could have found out yourself by using the 'search' function on this website and reading past posts.

If you are looking for spots, go to your local dive shop and ask them for beach diving spots. Most carry books you can buy that describe spots/location/depth. Go to myfwc.com and look at the artificial reef program for your county. Get out there and find your own spots. Fish move around, good spots can be barren and bad spots can hold nice fish sometimes.

You come off as new to all of this. Dive with a buddy that is in the water with you, not watching from the kayak. Join a spearfishing club. Become friends with someone who is more experienced then you and learn. Bring something to the table: money, ice, extra gear, knowledge, offer to clean boat/gear, etc.
Yea sorry about that, the reason I asked was because the last posts I saw about the green roofs were from a few years ago, and didn’t know if people still dived it. Thanks for directing me to some better resources dude, I am new to this and didn’t really know where to direct my questions.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
dive4food

PeterR....don't hesitate to ask questions. We were all new at some point. Sea_Bass has some good suggestions. I would wander in a local dive shop and get the local info from them too. And please come back and share. You can help the next guy that way too.
You might want to also post on the Florida East Coast forum.
dive4food is offline   Reply With Quote