Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
SFM-SharkTales

Bull Shark takes mermaids #COBIA

Most of the time we land the fish!!! We realize lots of things we could of done differently in this 10 secs but we ALL have had those moments.. We learn from each time with dive with sharks, we respect them & we know sometimes they will win.. This 10sec video has been slowed down so we all cam see... at 54 secs one of the many bull SHARKS WIN THE COBIA AND we lose a nice new shaft!!!

We LOVE what we do for a living... it is NOT FOR EVERYONE but we are looking for a few more EXPERIENCED spearos to JOIN US.

send us a message with your number and we will get back with you with what we need & expect from you if you.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1518297491865.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	237896  

Last edited by SFM-SharkTales; 04-30-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: I had to remove the s from Https
SFM-SharkTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
SubSub

Re: Bull Shark takes mermaids #COBIA

SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
SFM-SharkTales

How did you make the link show up in the thread? I tried and as you can tell it didn't work.... Rachel

Last edited by SFM-SharkTales; 04-30-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
steve-oh
Treasure Coast Charters

First problem is your on scuba, . Second you have no backup, whoever your scuba buddy is is elsewhere unable to help you, 3rd when you shot the fish you let him unspool your reel. sharks are less likely to try to eat the fish if it is closer to you or you subdue it quickly. The reason scuba is a problem, you are very bulky you are unable to maneuver up and down through the water column as easily as if you were freediving. The success rate on scuba of Landing a Cobia is very low compared to freediver especially when sharks are in the equation. Not trying to talk s*** because I do both but I am speaking from experience. I have seen your videos and there is way more fish being lost then taken in.
steve-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
steve-oh
Treasure Coast Charters

Check out how a team effort works and lands fish. Hard to see but we had about 15-20 bulls in and out of the murk at one time

https://youtu.be/lutzUeKcVMY

Looks a little chaotic but it is an orchestrated routine plan that is done the same way every time we land a fish.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
kwyoungspear

On a side note, hashtags should be left on Twitter and Instagram where they belong.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #7
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-oh View Post
Check out how a team effort works and lands fish. Hard to see but we had about 15-20 bulls in and out of the murk at one time

https://youtu.be/lutzUeKcVMY

Looks a little chaotic but it is an orchestrated routine plan that is done the same way every time we land a fish.
Nice team work.That would suck if that cobia wrapped you up while you were fending off the shark though!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
SFM-SharkTales

You clearly have not watched our channel... we rarely lose fish, but we are not on spear board to justify. Click Subscribe
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLbQ..._as=subscriber

Quote:
First problem is your on scuba, . Second you have no backup, whoever your scuba buddy is is elsewhere unable to help you, 3rd when you shot the fish you let him unspool your reel. sharks are less likely to try to eat the fish if it is closer to you or you subdue it quickly. The reason scuba is a problem, you are very bulky you are unable to maneuver up and down through the water column as easily as if you were freediving. The success rate on scuba of Landing a Cobia is very low compared to freediver especially when sharks are in the equation. Not trying to talk s*** because I do both but I am speaking from experience. I have seen your videos and there is way more fish being lost then taken in.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
Nice team work.That would suck if that cobia wrapped you up while you were fending off the shark though!
Yeah, it was hard for me to understand what was going on or how that video was exemplary of best practices. Getting wrapped up with that cobia while submerged and the having a bull grab it and run for the bottom would be a big problem.

Maybe an explanation of what was happening and who was doing what would help. Sometime the head cam doesn’t do a good job of capturing the whole scene or situation.???
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
steve-oh
Treasure Coast Charters

Well from the untrained eye it does seem like a bunch of chaotic crap but if you dive for Cobia and consistently Land them you can tell it is an orchestrated event. Diver one goes down takes the shot on the fish. diver to goes down to protect the fish and keep away the Sharks diver 3 goes down to also protect the fish and protect diver one and two. Fourth person on the boat pulls up boat. fish landed within one minute of being shot. Jfjf FYI I probably land more Cobia then just about anybody on the Florida East Coast so it is a well-orchestrated planned out routine that works just about every single time we seldom lose a fish unlike the guys down in Palm Beach that seldom land of fish. We also hunt from Palm Beach all the way up to the cape consistently year round. So the guy that got hit by the Cobia did not come anywhere close to being wrapped up in the line the Cobia ran into him as he was dropping down to chase the Sharks away. The Cobia was being pulled up by diver one back up to the surface by the time diver 3 looked up the Cobia is at the surface with diver 1 + 2 + boat pulling up

Last edited by steve-oh; 05-04-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #11
steve-oh
Treasure Coast Charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFM-SharkTales View Post
You clearly have not watched our channel... we rarely lose fish, but we are not on spear board to justify. Click Subscribe
Unfortunately I have watched your channel and I do see a few short clips of the same fish being shot but I have seen the entire videos where you guys have done nothing but Lose fish consistently. The only ones on the boat to land fish were the freedivers.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
jfjf

Thanks for the explanation, the boat was there super fast. I know it is a challenge and the team approach is extremely beneficial, still I would not like the fish to hit me like that if it was avoidable.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #13
steve-oh
Treasure Coast Charters

Either way SFM it was a few suggestions to improve your game. But what do I know?!?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #14
steve-oh
Treasure Coast Charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Thanks for the explanation, the boat was there super fast. I know it is a challenge and the team approach is extremely beneficial, still I would not like the fish to hit me like that if it was avoidable.
GoPro definitely makes the video Clarity look way better than it actually was for the most part we were in 20 foot of is it was hard to see the Cobia until they were pretty close
Old 05-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #15
SFM-SharkTales

Quote:
Either way SFM it was a few suggestions to improve your game. But what do I know?!?
Steve-oh,

If you look at our THREAD that you high-jacked with your video, which we didn't watch... I never asked for your suggestions. I also stated we don't need to justify our post. YOU ARE PRIME EXAMPLE WHY A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE LEFT SPEARBOARD.

Anyways, I will not get sucked into your insults on our diving or spearfishing or videos. I dive with one of the best Spearos/Captains in PBC and we land fish all the time & do it with great team work & produce great videos and we love what we do! Thanks for watching but if you have nothing positive to say then move onto the next thread.

Click Subscribe

Last edited by SFM-SharkTales; 05-05-2018 at 08:14 AM.