Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
hwy1strat

Shafts for a denton 120

I'm looking for threaded 8mm shafts for the denton 120. Does anyone know where I can get some? I have contacted the U.S. Abellan dealer and it's always "we'll have some next month". I have also contacted addiction spears but I feel like they were a little too expensive but maybe I'm wrong. Just looking to see if there are any other options out there.

Travis
hwy1strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Triton

Re: Shafts for a denton 120

Those seem to be tough to find and keep in stock unfortunately. I do have several 8mm double flopper euro shafts if you wanted something to hold you over.
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

8mm Sigalsub in Scubastore, but shipping to the US and customs might not be feasible...

https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-div...8-mm/1296461/p

Alternatively, buy a regular 8mm shaft of your preference and cut it down and then have it threaded. I have had threads cut on the majority of my pneumatic shafts. All have been 17-4ph stainless but never had issues with local machinists.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 05-24-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

not sure what the supply situation is for US, but the Hunt shafts with fin tabs are fantastic match for the Abellans
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
hwy1strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
not sure what the supply situation is for US, but the Hunt shafts with fin tabs are fantastic match for the Abellans
I have been looking for those but I can't find anyone that sells them. The only thing I haven't tried yet is contacting Hunt themselves
Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Harry aka Greekdiver on this forum the only US importer of Hunts i know of

see Majd using the Devoto 8mm shafts in his Denton test vids, thats a solid recco. they look nice, tho do require some edges taken off, unlike the Hunts I've bought which are fully ready to tie on

FWIW - and not wishing to hijack yet another thread with sliptip debate - on my Denton I've ditched sliptips in favour of double offset floppers mentioned above by Triton, they hold well and I prefer for our shark-infested waters as the heavy shaft slows the fish down quicker than just a sliptip. Bought them for doggies but using em for big seriolas and hoo and mahi as well now. only place i dont use em is on the reef cos theyre a right bastard to extract from a hole

Last edited by kavachi; 05-24-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

if I was in the US I'd try GR's Red Tide shafts - euro mech 17-PH with nice tabs and finish
Old 05-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
hwy1strat

Red Tide Pm'd me earlier and I think I will give them a shot. I've heard good things and they are reasonably priced.

I want the sliptips for the hoos. I've heard those are the best because you can tear a shaft out of them so easily. Have you found that to not be the case?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #9
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

nothing scientific in my choice to go with the offset double floppers vs sliptip - a lousy shot on a hoo anything is going to rip out. But with the shaft the fight time is significantly reduced = less time for shaft/tip to wear thru the fish and less time for the sharks to find you, and i dont seem to be getting more ripoffs than i had using sliptip.

I also like not having to set the tip every shot, a consideration on the FADs when you've got limited time and hoo and mahi swimming around you. Not an issue with the doggies as shots are very few and far between, but putting the brakes on a big doggie with my tuna board puts a huge amount of pressure on whole rig, and I prefer having that heavy shaft [8.5 x 170 for dogs] and those two big heavy welded Hunt floppers

Its not a financial decision as a sliptip is a helluva lot cheaper and easier to get delivered here than a $200 shaft.

lets know how the Red Tide shafts go!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
Castronova
The Conch Republic

First, Red Tides threaded shafts work perfect in the Abellan. The fins are larger, more for enclosed track, but doesn't really matter. I got a few from GR for my Albacore and shot a bunch of wahoo with them.

Second, I used offset double flopper's almost exclusively for a few years in my bluewater gun. I have landed more wahoo with double floppers than slip-tips still but I've also lost more wahoo with them. The percentage of landing wahoo with slip-tips is much higher. That hurts every part of my soul to say that. I really used to dislike slip-tips but the longer you do this it is just something that you learn to deal with, then eventually start to enjoy.

You can land them with double floppers no doubt but with long heavy shafts your chance of landing wahoo on less than optimal shots is exponentially higher with a slip-tip.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #11
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
First, Red Tides threaded shafts work perfect in the Abellan. The fins are larger, more for enclosed track, but doesn't really matter. I got a few from GR for my Albacore and shot a bunch of wahoo with them.

Second, I used offset double flopper's almost exclusively for a few years in my bluewater gun. I have landed more wahoo with double floppers than slip-tips still but I've also lost more wahoo with them. The percentage of landing wahoo with slip-tips is much higher. That hurts every part of my soul to say that. I really used to dislike slip-tips but the longer you do this it is just something that you learn to deal with, then eventually start to enjoy.

You can land them with double floppers no doubt but with long heavy shafts your chance of landing wahoo on less than optimal shots is exponentially higher with a slip-tip.
thanks for your insights Castro!! anything we can do to prevent lost and/or damaged fish is key to us all being able to keep doing what we love and put fresh fish on the table. Agree consensus is that slip-tips give you best chance of landing hoo in most situations

fair disclosure: tho i fkn hate fish ripping off, I do get a lot more opportunities on hoo than most people, so not as stringent on the conversion rate as, say, a diver in Florida, or Tweed. AND we have a dangerously healthy Silky shark and Silvertip shark population on our FADs, which makes subduing fish quickly [and getting them into the boat!] critical, thus the heavy-handed approach. Occasional visits from oceanic whitetips just adds to that urgency. And aside from marlin [and hungry XXL hoo?] I'm the only predator targeting hoo for many hundreds of miles, so do get a little slack. damn that chilli ginger wahoo cerviche tastes good!

Last edited by kavachi; 05-26-2017 at 04:43 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #12
Ryfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
The percentage of landing wahoo with slip-tips is much higher. That hurts every part of my soul to say that.
I am printing this and saving this haha.