Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #151
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,189
Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

I think at higher speeds tests have shown that a slightly rough surface or dimpled surface is best. But you have to look at how evolution designed fish ... while most fish have a glycol protein slimy coat ... I think that has more to do with preventing parasites rather than to have a more efficient swimming surface. But fish do have scales including tuna, sailfish etc... and the most prominent scales are in areas that are high contact areas of the water column (cheeks, sides of the body etc...) ... so maybe evolution figured those scales improve efficiency in the water. A very high performance speargun setup will throw out a shaft at about 28 meters/second ... that sounds very fast ... but a sailfish can swim faster than that! So looking at how evolution decided to treat fast moving fish ... I would say a dimpled surface rather than a smooth surface might be best. However that needs to be tested. With regards to hydrophobic surfaces ... that might work different and I wouldn't be surprised if it works well ... especially on shooting line. I think with regards to shafts, there is not much to be gained by altering the surface ... but with line ... there is plenty to be gained.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #152
SubSub
Registered User
 
SubSub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 286
Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreediveCA View Post
My concern with this "shaft sauce" would be the contact with the meat. May not be an issue at all, but something that at least crossed my mind when reading this. When the shaft goes through the fish will it leave some of that sauce in the meat?

As far as adding it to the line and it causing a stiffer line... I am with jstiver09, not necessarily bad. Could be a plus. What did you try?


You do have a point there! On the other side, there is quite a lot of other not so healthy stuff in the larger fish at top of the food chain. Lots of accumulated heavy metals the larger the fish.

This is the stuff I used on my sneaks.

https://youtu.be/_hbgZyjSo48
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #153
FreediveCA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 610
Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

Thanks SubSub. Interesting how the water just beads right off. I'd be interested in how that works on shooting line. At $17 definitely worth a look... If it doesn't work, all my shoes will be stain resistant.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:22 AM   #154
doyenofcastle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 440
Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

I need your opinion guys , My hand is small and I experience some shifting to left during spearing ,all shoots come to left side I am right handed ,I have checked all other parameters and I believe it's perfect ,I have doubt that gun handle volume is larger than the required ,mistakenly I have put a large fairing epoxy layer to create a rough surface and keep hand similar to the required design by this post ,in the attached picture my 3 fingers should be in the second red line to prevent this shifting ,is this true?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small hand.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	245597  
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #155
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,189
Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
I need your opinion guys , My hand is small and I experience some shifting to left during spearing ,all shoots come to left side I am right handed ,I have checked all other parameters and I believe it's perfect ,I have doubt that gun handle volume is larger than the required ,mistakenly I have put a large fairing epoxy layer to create a rough surface and keep hand similar to the required design by this post ,in the attached picture my 3 fingers should be in the second red line to prevent this shifting ,is this true?

From the picture it doesn't look like you have your handle setup correctly. You need to rotate it a bit to the right for a right hander. Again from the picture, it just looks like you have an ergo handle and the recoil will go straight into your thumb. The recoil should go straight into the center of your palm. If you have your handle setup correctly you should be able to shoot your most powerful loading while only holding the handle with your thumb and firing with your index finger with all other fingers off. If you can do that with your max load then you have setup your handle correctly.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:34 AM   #156
doyenofcastle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 440
Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
From the picture it doesn't look like you have your handle setup correctly. You need to rotate it a bit to the right for a right hander. Again from the picture, it just looks like you have an ergo handle and the recoil will go straight into your thumb. The recoil should go straight into the center of your palm. If you have your handle setup correctly you should be able to shoot your most powerful loading while only holding the handle with your thumb and firing with your index finger with all other fingers off. If you can do that with your max load then you have setup your handle correctly.
Hi Majd ,

thanks for your reply ,you know I didn't notice the shifting when I shoot large fish just aim at center and I hit the fish but when you aim at small fish and missed it u feel crazy, I take few pictures for my gun and did again target testing in shallow reef , I checked my old gun from SEAC and I believe I need to do 2 adjustment ,first one as you explain in detail in this thread , the second one the inclined angle which keep a 10 to 20 vertical degree with the thumb i think It was discussed somewhere ,I though my gun have a rubber ratio problem but when I gave the gun to my buddy he said it work nicely ,I realized his hand is much larger and he is holding the handle correctly ,I hope this will be the only issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_083241.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	245603   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_084304.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	245604   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_084351.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	245605  
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:50 AM   #157
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,189
Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

It is actually quite common for people trying out the handle mod to just end up making an ergo handle. But the idea is not really only to make the handle comfortable and made to your hands size, but rather it is to channel recoil where your anatomy is strongest. In your case you need just to twist the handle about 10 or 15 degrees to the right ... this will bring your thumb up and of course your index finger will now be further away from the trigger. But again looking at the pictures it doesn't seem you will have problems reaching the trigger when you rotate the handle. The difference in the shot are dramatic as the recoil goes straight into your palm. When that happens there is no left shift as there was when recoil goes into your thumb because your palm cannot twist. The left shift not only makes your shot go left but also reduces shaft stability ... thus less accuracy and less velocity.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:31 AM   #158
doyenofcastle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 440
Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
It is actually quite common for people trying out the handle mod to just end up making an ergo handle. But the idea is not really only to make the handle comfortable and made to your hands size, but rather it is to channel recoil where your anatomy is strongest. In your case you need just to twist the handle about 10 or 15 degrees to the right ... this will bring your thumb up and of course your index finger will now be further away from the trigger. But again looking at the pictures it doesn't seem you will have problems reaching the trigger when you rotate the handle. The difference in the shot are dramatic as the recoil goes straight into your palm. When that happens there is no left shift as there was when recoil goes into your thumb because your palm cannot twist. The left shift not only makes your shot go left but also reduces shaft stability ... thus less accuracy and less velocity.
I have waited till I tried the gun with a fixed target ,but still not shooting accurate so I have spent time taking pictures in different angel and compare to other guns and I think I found the reason ,its the connection between handle and gun body ,this explain many other observations ,some gun shoot accurate and some not ,every time you make a gun you don't know if it will hit with high accuracy or missed a lot , even you have the right set up ,in my attached pictures the shifting was clear , I did that for adjusting the trigger ,that time I thought the handle center shall be the distance from the wider parts then divide to half it end up to make connection not accurate and gun keep shooting to left or right what ever the setup u use ,the only confuse for me why the handle I bought from KOAH is not centered , its having a small shift to one side ! may be after all my observation still I am missing something but by experiment I have tried this with a fixed target and it work ,even the gun with shifted center once I hold the gun and keep my hand centered to the handle not to the gun , it shoot almost near the center .
its easier to modified a symetric speargun handle cause the handle center is exactly where it should be but for wood guns with anatomic handle this will pop up ,anyone have same thoughts? or i am still missing the main reason ?
I have used some other pictures in a previous thread to illustrate the idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210115_100336.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	246550   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210114_073543.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	246551   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210115_100444.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	246552   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210114_073706.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	246553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	246554  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitledh.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	246555   Click image for larger version

Name:	4VJ2fD2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	246556  

Last edited by doyenofcastle; 01-15-2021 at 04:08 AM.
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com