Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
diveBabe

Hunting in State Parks?

I heard that the Florida legislature is considering a bill that will allow hunting in state parks. Has anyone heard this and what's the deal?
Would that mean that we'd be alllowed to spearfish in places like John Pennekamp State Park and San Pedro State Park?

Personally, I wouldn't want to hunt in an area that had been protected since, in my experience, the fish seem to be less wary of humans and won't know to protect themselves. What's the fun in that?

Any insights on this? Any truth to this rumor?
diveBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #2
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Re: Hunting in State Parks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveBabe View Post
... Any truth to this rumor?
Not open season.

There is a complex bill sponsored by FWC that I posted about a couple of days ago here:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=186515

It's just the 1st filing and deserves being watched because things can get added to it that may be detrimental to our sport.

It's a HUGE bill (ie salt, fresh, gators & everything) and IMHO invites lots of fights. Bills that pass are ones that have a single focus like a stone shot.

If you have another link, post it up. Also FWC has been known to monitor this forum for input so thank you for bumping it to the top.

Last edited by Johnoly; 11-27-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Johnoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
Summerland Key

Re: Hunting in State Parks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveBabe View Post
I heard that the Florida legislature is considering a bill that will allow hunting in state parks. Has anyone heard this and what's the deal?
Would that mean that we'd be alllowed to spearfish in places like John Pennekamp State Park and San Pedro State Park?

Personally, I wouldn't want to hunt in an area that had been protected since, in my experience, the fish seem to be less wary of humans and won't know to protect themselves. What's the fun in that?

Any insights on this? Any truth to this rumor?
I don't think I would want to spearfish in an area that has been protected from all spearing/ hunting for so long either. But, you bring up a good point. If the state is considering allowing hunting for deer, turkey, hogs, ducks, etc. then why exclude hunting (spearfishing) fish?
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote