Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2009 Tournament Archives > 2009 TBSC Winter Invitational - April 4, 2009

2009 TBSC Winter Invitational - April 4, 2009 Here is the place for information on this Florida west coast tourney - http://www.tampabayspearfishingclub.org/

Old 04-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Thumbs up Results - Great Tournament!!

2009 TBSC Winter Invitational Winners:
1st Place - Top Spearfisherman ....... Nick Russo...............135.15 pts
2nd Place -...................................Charlie Dombson........128.05 pts
3rd Place -....................................Trey Stickland..........110.80 pts
4th Place - ...................................Cory Phillips...............92.45 pts
5th Place - ...................................Bryan Anderson..........91.10 pts

Top Female Shooter........................Teresa Hattaway.........50.25 pts
Top Junior Shooter..........................Michael Mazzo............18.30 pts

Winner of the TBSC/Cliff Ellis Humanitarian Award.......Charlie Barnes

Largest Grouper Winner....................Nick Russo.................16.95 .lbs
Largest Snapper Winner...................Cory Phillips................ 6.15 .lbs
Largest Amberjack Winner................John Herrera...............30.15 .lbs
Largest Hogfish Winner....................Nick Russo..................12.75 .lbs
Largest Sheepshead.......................Bill Vandeman............... 3.40 .lbs
Largest Cobia/Cuda........................Armando Suarez............25.2 .lbs

Just want to say thank you to ALL of the sponsors, volunteers, and TBSC guys for making this first tournament of the west central coast of FL a great success!! We pulled up to the weigh-in with 10 minutes to spare and everything ran smooth. From the support crews working the fish, scales, and weigh-in slips it was flawless. The prize tables were stacked and it looked like everyone went home very happy with their picks from the table.

The format of this tournament is very different from all the rest with respect to your pick from the prize table and in my opinion that is what makes it such a great tournament to be a part of. If you don't already know your pick from the prize table is NOT governed by how many fish you shot or how big of a fish you shot, it is completely random. You could've entered the tournament and shot one 2 lb snapper and walked away with a 54-inch Spearfishing Specialty gun, just like our friend Dave did. This tournament brings the focus back onto the camaraderie of our sport and the fun of competiton.

Big thank you to Hungry Howies for sporting the hot pizza, it tasted great as always and it was demolished!

We lefted the ramp at 5 am and headed out to our first stop in 120. 2 miles out of the pass we were moving along at around 15 knots when I looked up to see white water breaking and rolling down at us. "Big wave!!" is all I could shout as Trey steered us into the breaker and we went airbourne. Both engines red lined and shut down. Alarms are beeping as Trey is attempting to re-start them and another breaker bears down on us with no power Thankfully the bow stayed pointed into direction of the waves and we bounced up and over the crashing white water. Trey finally got the engines fired up and we were able to move out of the impact zone before the next one jacked up on the sandbar. Interesting couple of minutes at 5:30 am 2 miles outside of the pass. On our way in later that afternoon we could see where we got caught - the north side of Egmont channel has a sandbar that extends way out past the first couple markers as we could see the swells still breaking on it. The impact zone was 5 feet deep with the early morning low tide.

We shot fish in the good vis conditions and slowly filled our categories. Jacks were first, followed by gags, snapper, and missed opportunities on cuda and cobia Never could find the hogfish once we moved into some of the more shallower spots. Trey managed to shoot a nice 3 lb brown snouter on our secret inside the bay spot, lucky SOB!! We had everything except our cuda (which seemed to know they were being hunted all f'n day and ended up being the deal breaker for us) and our hogfish category filled but Trey and I still managed to squeeze out 3rd (Trey) and 5th (me) place. Not bad for only running 30 miles out

Again, big thanks to all the sponsors, Tampa Bay Spearfishing Club, and most importantly to all the volunteers! You have no idea how key your help was in making this year's TBSC Invitational a very successful tournament!
FishDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Results - Great Tournament!!

Way to go Bryan! Congratulations on a successful event!

I was thinking about the tourney over the weekend given the good sea conditions. A "Winter" Invitational certainly has the risk of bad weather - but Mother Nature cooperated. Now, I just pray the 2009 SBO will be similarly blessed.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Gamble
NATIVE

Re: Results - Great Tournament!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Way to go Bryan! Congratulations on a successful event!

I was thinking about the tourney over the weekend given the good sea conditions. A "Winter" Invitational certainly has the risk of bad weather - but Mother Nature cooperated. Now, I just pray the 2009 SBO will be similarly blessed.
Good sea conditions??????? Did you miss the part in his post where they almost got swamped?? The tourney was a great time but NOT because of sea conditions. If the SBO has conditions like that,,, Good luck.
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupergrabber View Post
OH yea well they sure screwed me and then then had attitude when I asked about this misunderstanding. when CAPTB finally contacted me he said he ''put it in front of their comitee'' and they wanted to know ''who this winer is''. how come they dont you put that in the mag how I came to weigh inn to get teased by seeing all my fellow spearos get their shot at prize table and I could not even get a t shirt. so in my opinion it was a great tourny for everyone else. oh yea capt b I checked my bill of rights ammendment 1 freedom of speech and or press, religion or right to assemble. you can google it if you like, I do not want anything from TBSC except that the rest of the spearfishing community knows how this was situation handled. great job to all the spearos who actually shot in the tourny and didnt just get a ticket for a prize at the table.again great job to all shooters and sponsors.
Open mouth and insert foot.

That's all I have to say about the above right now. This will be addressed so everyone will know (and understand) exactly what took place with your "situation".
Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Dominick,

Shortly after the tournament you contacted Capt. Bill Hardman (current President of TBSC) via PM on Spearfishing Planet. You stated that you entered the tourny, pre-registered, and attended the Capt's meeting (oh, and made a purchase at Aquatic Obsessions). All of which is true. According to you, during the prize table raffle your raffle number was not called. For those of you who do not know the format for the TBSC Invitational is very different than most of the tournaments in this region. Instead of the top divers having first picks/choices off the prize table the TBSC tournament raffles off the prizes giving EVERYONE an equal shot at taking home a great prize. The top divers (aggregate, biggest fish, juniors) take home very nice trophies but their pick at the prize table is at the same odds as someone who possibly had boat trouble and was only able to turn in one 3 lb snapper. After the last number was called a woman (your wife) came up to Capt. Bill and started to raise her voice at him (I was standing right there) about "this isn't fair, this isn't right and so on" and he told her to go ahead and pick a prize off the table. She did! She picked a $25 Gift Cert. for any computer services from Grauer Technologies (Chris Grauer's Company, the guy who owns the Spearfishing Planet). Chris was right there by me when all this happened as we shot on the same boat together. Then about five minutes later in front of about five volunteers your wife said she didn't want it and she tossed the gift certificate at Capt. Bill and then into a garbage box. Capt. Bill pulled the crumpled certificate out of the garbage and he still has it. Afterwards the tournament committee took pictures of the crumpled certificate and we have that picture on file.

I know all this to be true as I was standing right there and had the same issue. I thought my number wasn't called either and mentioned it to Capt. Bill so I then picked up one of the remaining 10 or 12 gift certificates still on the table. (Later I went through all the tickets called and my ticket number was called, I just didn't hear it most likely due to me gabbing it up with friends)

We had more prizes than we needed and the club still has the leftover prizes in a box that two TBSC officers used to place the prizes in. As stated at the beginning of the awards ceremony, we knew we had a few more prizes than we needed and Capt. Bill specifically told everyone (twice) that any leftover prizes would be donated to the FSDA Silent Auction to benefit "Divers Rights".

This happens every year at every tournament to a couple people. Capt. Bill has been volunteering his time and efforts to these events for 25+ years and he's seen it happen all the time. Heck, I've seen it happen a half a dozen or more times now and I've only been doing this tournament stuff for 6 or 7 years. This is why Capt. Bill clearly stated before we started the prize raffle that we are not responsible if you don't come forward when the ticket is called. In fact, he said it twice. We had three people working the tickets: one pulled them out and gave it to Capt Bill, he called it and then he gave the ticket to the third person to put in the called ticket box after they retrieved the ticket holders matching ticket. Every single ticket that was in the box was called.

If you would like, I will post pictures of the ticket that was called and the ticket you turned in and the crumpled gift certificate that your wife tossed in the trash. You cannot deny that your wife picked a prize on your behalf off the table.

I am sorry this ended badly for you. TBSC hoped you had a good day diving, getting a nice shirt (since you pre-registered), being with fellow divers at a NON-PROFIT event where the proceeds went to help our diving community and got a prize (some better than others). I am sorry yours was last pick. I'm sorry that mine was last pick. Sh!t happens, all I could say is oh well, I am not the lucky one today (like you're buddy who took home the Zeagle regulator off the table). All I am saying is someone has to be last or second to last. At some tournaments, you wouldn't have gotten ANY prize if you did not come up when your ticket was called and you would have been quickly and very sternly told just that.

After all this, you send another message to Capt. Bill in your words:

Quote:
I think of the day I did my first tourney, went out with my budddy in 21 ft boat and got the crap knocked out of us, did not get any fish, and then after that thought to my self at least I get a prize so I load up the kids and drive from springhill to saint petersburg twice 1 for meeting 2 for weigh inn, Just to be teased with everyone around me even people who did not even shoot in tourney getting prizes. I think it would be fair to refund my entry fee, In short I paid $75 to fuel 2 ways to saintpete and fuel on the boat on a day I would of not normally dove on, just to get teased teased teased teased I would of been happy if you would of offered me another shirt at that point
So to remedy the "situation" as you have called it you wanted TBSC to refund your entry fee, your fuel costs to the Capt's Meeting, the weigh-in, AND your day on the water. On top of that you asked the club to give you a spare shaft holder and a new shaft in lieu of the gift certificate that your wife crumpled up and threw at a tournament volunteer.

This being your first tournament I can understand some of your feelings (last pick off the table) but the above are outright ludicrous and asinine. We do this for fun, to compete against each other and our friends for bragging rights, and to give back to the community. Somehow in all this you have missed all that because you didn't take home a "cool prize". If you enter a tournament for the sake of taking home a "cool prize" I'm sorry, you have entered for the wrong reasons.

Weeks ago the club discussed all this and it was decided to mail you the gift certificate that your wife picked on your behalf.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Quote:
what situation, from my understanding is every shooter is a winner. I am just mentioning facts, I was a shooter paid my entry and did not go to prize table. My # was never called, this is fact. oh and fishdie if standing up for myself means sticking my foot in my mouth than so be it! I do know of your club and the # of members in it and I am sure each and every one of them will have something smart to say to me. oh and guys i am expecting some good stories so please lets try to get it right.lets hear em p.s. YOU GUYS MAY HAVE A LOT OF PULL ON THESE FORUMS BUT YOULL NEVER GET MY FISHING LISCENSE
You're right, every shooter who enters gets a raffle ticket and that raffle ticket allows him a pick off the prize table. You entered, and while you physically didn't pick a prize off the table your wife did on your behalf. It is not our fault that you or your wife choose to crumple up and throw that gift certificate at a volunteer and then ultimately into the trash.

These are the facts Dominick and you know them to be true. To come on here and publicly state that your number wasn't called and that you never picked a prize is straight out lying; in essence sticking your foot into your mouth. Unfortunately I am the only TBSC club member who actually posts on Spearboard so you won't hear from any other club member regarding this issue on here. The facts are posted above, sorry no bedtime stories. We have zero pull on any forum and we don't want to take your fishing license. We might consider sponsoring you for an English class though.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Quote:
you must of missunderstood did not want to be reimburst for anything except my entry fee, my # was not called last but was not called at all. at this point I do not want anything from you guys but to let the truth be told. I do not think this happened on purpose, but when it did your crew was quick to try to sweep it under the carpet, not even a sorry but a sarcastic tone from capt bill'' with megaphone in one hand and red cup in the other ''what do you want me to do start a donation for you'' and try to belittle me in front of everyone so I just left pissed! You can never take away My fishing liscense
I haven't misunderstood anything, I just quoted you're exact words sent to Capt. Bill. You must have misunderstood the very first sentence in the rules:
Quote:
Please note that there are absolutely no refunds, for any reason.
The truth has been told very clearly. If pictures are necessary please let me know and I'll post them. I know all those words might be confusing. No one attempted to sweep anything under the rug. When you contacted Capt. Bill after the tournament about your misfortune it has been handled professionally every step of the way. Please show me otherwise if you disagree. Evidence, not your opinion.

It's L-I-C-E-N-S-E, try looking it up like you did with the Bill of Rights.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Please put a stop to your "boo hoo I was done wrong" and I was "teased teased teased" by strangers crap.

The facts are posted. You didn't hear your number called but you still had an opportunity for a prize but instead your wife crumpled it up and threw it at a tournament volunteer like a child having a temper tantrum. I apologize to you that you cannot accept the events that took place. Several people were witnesses (including myself) to this minor incident. I'm also sorry that you feel that you have been "done wrong" even though everything was handled professionally to make certain you didn't go home empty handed. It's not TBSC's fault in any manner that you decided to handle the situation like you have.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Quote:
First off I did not have a any sort tantrum but calmly tried to talk to bill after he was clearly not going to remedy the situation I left pissed but no tantrum, as far as this lady goes I have know idea who you are talking about that must of been the third person you guys screwed over this year cause she wasnt in my party, so if anyone needs to get their facts straight it's you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Like I said in the begining that when this was put in front of the board they wanted to know who this crybaby is well now you just confirmed how tbsc handles things with your boo hoo remarks, and that from the very begining had no plans on even trying to correct this issue, and as soon as i approached I got attitude instead of trying to fix it.Oh yea the guy in your avatar is pissing on the wrong personwhy would you pee on a guy wearing a I heart fra shirt.thats all I have to say about that! HEY ISNT THIS INTERNET FORUM STUFF FUN?
Obviously reading comprehension wasn't one of your strong areas in school. I never said you had a temper tantrum. It was your wife who was upset and tossed the crumpled up gift certificate at the tournament volunteer. She was in your party. We have multiple pictures of you and your family together and it was also confirmed from an outside source. From day one you have denied her as being your wife, I hope she doesn't read these forums.

TBSC has taken every reasonable and professional step to resolve this issue. You will be receiving US certified mail with the gift certificate that your wife picked from the table. Whether you use those services or not is completely up to your discretion.

I, and I can speak on the behalf of TBSC, honestly wish the outcome from participating in this great tournament was better for your first tournament experience.

Since you have no idea who that guy is you don't understand the image.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDie View Post
Obviously reading comprehension wasn't one of your strong areas in school. I never said you had a temper tantrum. It was your wife who was upset and tossed the crumpled up gift certificate at the tournament volunteer. She was in your party. We have multiple pictures of you and your family together and it was also confirmed from an outside source. From day one you have denied her as being your wife, I hope she doesn't read these forums.
TBSC has taken every reasonable and professional step to resolve this issue. You will be receiving US certified mail with the gift certificate that your wife picked from the table. Whether you use those services or not is completely up to your discretion.

I, and I can speak on the behalf of TBSC, honestly wish the outcome from participating in this great tournament was better for your first tournament experience.

Since you have no idea who that guy is you don't understand the image.
Well if you are not going to post pictures of crumpled up pieces of paper...do we at least get to check out his "wife"?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Quote:
no pics of ''wife'', no crumpled pieces of paper,and no photo copy of my of my ticket,SH!t keeps getting thicker. these are all better get out the drysuit. as for my ticket you claim you have while, capt bill did not take my ticket so I dont understand how he could photocopy it, and anyone could crumple a piece of paper and photo it. I could have as many witnesses as I need seeing how all yours are SO HURRY AND READY THE EVIDENCE and like I said get your story correct!
Uh, I beg to differ. Pink shirt, scorned face. Confirmed to be your wife from a third party unaffilated with the tournament. As for your ticket; you handed your ticket to us and the matching ticket was found in the called ticket box. Look closely and you can see the staple holes from where it was stapled to your rules packet. I can also post your PM that you sent to Capt. Bill on SFP where you gave him your ticket number if you'd like. This is the party crumpled Gift Cert that your wife took off the prize table and in front of five to six witnesses said after grabbing it, "I don't want this, what do you want me to do with it?!?!" Capt. Bill responded, "What ever you want to do with it." She then proceeded to crumple it and threw it at Capt. Bill's head and it fell into a box of materials that were being packed up to take back to the shop.

Deny all you want Dominick, these are the facts. You're learning the hard way of how small and tight knit this community of spearfishermen really are.

Edit: Your avatar only further proves how scorned you are by me providing the real truth here and dispelling your false accusations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GrouperGrabber Tickets_Closeup.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	101784   Click image for larger version

Name:	GrouperGrabber Gift_Cert_&_tickets.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	101785   Click image for larger version

Name:	GrouperGrabber wife.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	101786  
Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
Nate Baker

Quote:
I am done on the subject unless you want to go on & on & on.
First smart post you've made here. Take it from someone who wasn't there and doesn't care. Your posts in this thread didn't help you.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
RichT

I googled groupergrabber and this is what came back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crackheadmugshotposter.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	101796  
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #14
kostiakot

HI
how can i join this Tournament?